2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

South Texas Buck Capture Project

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  TXPalerider 
#1 ·
This study at the CKWRI was being reference on another Deer Management thread so I thought I would post a link to it.

South Texas Buck Capture Project

The project involved capturing 50-150 deer per year on each of five ranches in Webb and Kleberg Counties. The objectives of the project are to evaluate factors affecting deer antler size and refine deer aging techniques. The project now has 10 years of capture data and records from over 4,000 deer.

Here are the links directly to their conclusions in a 2 part presentation:

Whitetail Antler Growth Research - Part 1

Whitetail Antler Growth Research - Part 2

Some real interesting data presented.

Post up your thoughts after you've had a chance to look at it.

#11 ·
Good one....I'm guessing with them doing a 10 year study there's got to be a more comprehensive compilation of results other than these slide shows. I sure would like to see it......any ideas?.......

Bret
We reviewed this info with our biologist last Thursday and he gave us some of the background info and data.
You might look through the whole site. There is a LOT of additional info on there. Haven't had the chance to look through much of it.

As far as the spikes, I am not a big fan of shooting yearling spikes. I never have been. However, I do believe that, as a rule, they lag behind their forked horn peers. I just don't think there is a huge downside in letting them live. However, I also believe, if you are going to let them walk as yearlings, you need to have a pretty aggressive culling strategy for your 2 year olds. In the end, I think a lot depends on your particular ranch, circumstances and objectives.

#13 ·
A VERY low % of accurracy on aging both dead deer and live deer,considering they were trained biologists. They should have had some of the hunting show guys, they can tell in an instant how old a deer is.

The cull recomendations were interesting, I personally agree with them, but the result was nothing.

Down with the spike . The conclusion that there should be no consideration as to range conditions when it comes to removing spikes surprised me.

After all of this studing does it seem like MAYBE you should not shoot young deer with alot of points--relative to other deer the same age. DUUUUGHHHH.

I think I might be suffering from deer envy. I would have loved to have been part of that project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.