2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be in South Padre for a week in July and was wondering if it was worth taking a rod. I am not a saltwater guy but is there anywhere to wade fish or jetties to fish. Gonna be there with the family and I may need to escape for a while. Would the beach front be productive that time of year? I was going to hire a guide with a buddy, but he is not able to go now.

I know, I'm clueless but any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The fishing has been hit and miss with some really low tides, but its definetely worth getting away and wetting some line... There are jettys and too many wade fishing spots to begin to list. PM me if you'd like additional info.

·
All my friends say.....
7,422 Posts
If you want to fish the surf, use shrimp, cut ballywho, mullet, whitting, or croker. The jetties are hit and miss. The north jetty is a drive but can pay off. It is about 26 miles north of the last beach access, #6. At high tide, not having a 4x4 can get a little tense. There are spots you can drive to and wade fish the bay side. Early morning with live shirmp is good or arties if you have some. I would not go with out rod.

·
Rockport Operator
295 Posts
Look For Birds On Beach Gulf Side

Just got back last night from the beach and the fishing was good in the morning on the gulf side. Look for the birds working along the beach when spotted Wade out to the second and third cut and throw 3/4 oz silver spoons or big top waters with silver sides. The spanish macks and jacks are tearing those lures to shreds. Make sure you use a strong leader, preferably steel or you will not have your lure long.

Peace

1 - 4 of 4 Posts