2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a trip to South Padre in the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on where to go and some guide recomendations? I will be interested in possibly using a guide for bay fishing, and a friend recommended "The Osprey" as a good outfit for a cheap deep sea excursion. Anyone ever "The Osprey"? Also, any good wade fishing spots?

I would like to do as much fishing as possible while down there so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
Man with all the rain in Sabine Lake I wish I was you. If you have access to a boat I'd fish South Bay around the mangroves for reds and snook. If you don't have a boat right behind the convention center is some really good water. As long as the wind surfers will leave you alone. check out www.spifishing.com

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Bay fishing

We used Larry Langford in SPI. Caught all the trout we wanted and many, many more. They were stacked up on the edge of the ICW. One on almost every cast as long as we drifted past where they were. Pencil thin trout. Skinniest trout I have EVER seen.

His number is 956-761-5791

Prices down there were almost half of what you would pay in Galveston!!

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
The osprey is owned by a family that has been fishing there for 3 generations. The murphys....They are the best on the island for charter and always have a good catch due to their long time private spots. They are VERY protective of their spots. Of course these days good radar can over come that. Anyhow, they have a private charter boat too called murphys law unless they just use it for personal now.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I will be going down there for a week. A freind has a beach house rented we are planning to just party all week but I hope to do a little fishing,

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I am heading down there next Monday and won't be heading back to H-Town for 6 days. Plan on tear'n it up as always..................................

If you guys see us in my Carolina Skiff, come and Holl'ar

ROBO

·
Registered
231 Posts
Go Check out Jim's pier off of W.Whitting for a cheap bay trip. $15 bucks if you bring your own reel. Go have fun, I just got back from there two weeks ago.

·
Old Guys Rule (When we're up to it)
1,259 Posts
I am going the first week of August. I am fishing with Larry Langford one day and Skipper Mock another.
The TIFT is the first weekend 8-7, 8-8 and should be hard to find a guide then if you don't already have one booked.

·
11,766 Posts
I personally haven't used a guide at SPI but there is one we talk to at the boat launch. I believe his name is Skipper Mock, phone number is cell:956-739-7698. He also has an article in the Gulf Coast Connections magazine. The launch is Parrot Eyes located the north end of the island across the street from the Bahia Mar hotel. From talking with him he seems like a nice guy, haven't seen any of his customers get off the boat unhappy. We dont always get back to the dock at the same time but when we do his charter usually has a repectable catch. As for wade fishing, anywhere north of the convention center on the bay side. The farther north the better but be careful of loose sand as there are no maintained roads (that I know of) but quite a few trails back to the bay. If you take your catch to Amberjacks or the Padre Island Brewery they will cook it up for you however you like for @ $8 a person. Took ours to Amberjacks last time we were down and had it done grilled, fried and blackened, fantastic. Also heard that Blackbeards will now cook your catch for you. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts