2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had one given to me by a buddy of mine, and it's about 2 yrs old. I pulled it out and it appears to be O.k, but there is a little corrosion on the CO2 itself. How long can you go until you must change the charge out. I gave the preserver a test, and its still in good shape, I just worry that the CO2 will not go off if in need. Its the type that goes aroud your waist inside of a little pouch, the rip cord just hangs out of the side for easy acess. Thank You Guys For All Your Help. This Is An Awesome Site, And Club U Have here. Glad I could Join Ya!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Pfd

Pull the cord to inflate it and see if it holds air. Then go get a recharge package and install it. It's pretty simple.

Don't trust it 'till you test it.

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
Just an FYI...bought a couple of those SOS co2's in the vest type after reading they are finally Class A PFDs.. Got stopped at the boat cut last summer by CG . Checked out OK, but when they asked to see the PFDs, I showed him them in their neat little package..NO SALE..he said they only qualify as Class A when you are WEARING them...not in the pretty little package..Had some regular vests on board so all was OK, but you might consider springing for a couple of regular vests to satisfy the Coasties..

Good advice from Misty..Couple of years on the salt is bad for anything...and just might be the best few bucks you could spend somewhere down the line when you might really need one...

"Safety Sally" LOL

·
Fisher of Men
3,703 Posts
I have two of them, so if we are out at night, they are a must. They are lightweight , comfortable.They are not cheap, but now West Marine offers their brand for less than we payed one year ago. I have a light, a whistle, sunscreen packed inside. WE LIKE OURS, and we aslo have plenty of regulars (20+) for all our guest on the boat.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Another thing you might do. I jumped in the pool and fired mine off, just to see what would happen. The thing works well, but it is pretty different from what I expected. It gave me an opportunity to play with an "in the water" test. I have the vest type, but similar deal I would think. I also fire mine off once yearly and replace the charge canister.

One thing I noticed, you sure don't want to be wearing a jacket or anything else over the vest. When it inflates, it seems like it could whack your chest pretty good if it was restrained inside a jacket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts