2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, guys. I was wondering if any of ya'll would like to help me out a little in understanding the types of outboards? It seams that there are 2 strokes, 4 strokes, & injected motors, each having their own advantages & disadvantages. I am told that the 2 strokes are lighter & produce a better holeshot (I am assuming due to low end torque), while the 4 strokes are heavier but more fuel efficient & environmentally friendly. Am I on target so far? I am assuming both the 2 & 4 strokes are carburated, is this correct? If so, what are the advantages of the injected motors. Finally, the big question, how do they compare pricewise?? I run a 1995 Evinrude, so I haven't shopped for a motor in a while (needless to say there have been a few advances). Any input would be appreciated, thanks a ton guys.

Empty Stringer outdoors-Beer cans & backlashes

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
In 2 strokes You can buy a standard carb engine, you can get fuel injected engines most of which now are high pressure injection of some type. In the 4 strokes you can get only injected that I know and yes the supercharged verado now. The weight difference is minimal. The yamaha 150 4 stroke is actually lighter than the 150 HPDI 2stroke yamaha by like 20 lbs. The honda 4 stroke is much heavier by around 60 lbs. I am sure the weight difference changes as you go up in the HP ratings and they add up when talking twin and tripple engines.

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
ARGO
the honda 90 is a carb unit unless the just changed it over to injected
joker

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK,
so you can get 2 strokes in carb or injected, & 4 strokes in carb or injected, right? So, if my assertion about the differences in 4 strokes & 2 strokes (holeshot, economy, etc) are correct, what does the carb vs. injection add to the mix? I would assume carbed engiens would be lighter but less efficient. Is there a performance difference regarding holeshot between the two?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hole shot more dependent on setup

rather than type of engine. If propped correctly either a 4 or 2 stroke should give adequate hole shot. Remember, usually you trade "hole shot" for "top speed" if all other items are equal. I won't even get into differences due to 3 vs 4 blade props, cupping, etc.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose my question breaks down to a simple one: 4strokes are more expensive, is it worth the money?

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Outboards

Fuel injected is more economical and puts out less emmisions than a carburated engine. I have a 225 Evinrude FICHT on my 21' Robalo. It is so good that I was going to put a 150 FICHT on my Shallowrunner until Bombardier came out with the E-Tec. Now I am going to put an E-Tec on a new Shallowsport. There was an ad by Northshore Marine in today's sports section of the Chronicle that addresses some of the E-tec benefits.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,059 Posts
The advantage of a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke is really just that the 4 is quieter. In the new technology 2 strokes (HPDI and Ficht/ETec) the efficiency and emmissions are actually better on the 2-stroke engines in many cases. What size motor(s) are you looking at? I'd be very leary of the big block HPDIs. Yamaha has had some problems, not with all of them but with enough, that they still need to work out there and I've heard enough stories about blown power heads that I'd be leary. In a new tech 2 stroke, my vote would go to the Ficht. They DEFINITELY had some issues early on but agter Bomb bought OMC those got taken care of and the motors are solid.

The 4 stroke has a couple of disadvantages, in my opinion. First, 4 stroke engines don't really lend themselves to long hours of running at high RPMs like 2 strokes do. They last a long time in cars because cars have transmissions and you don't push the engine at 4500 RPMs all the time. To me, a 4 stroke on a boat is sort of like driving your car uphill at 4500 RPMs all the time. Obviously, this isn't completely accurate but you get the point. 4 strokes also have more moving parts and more things that can go wrong but they do get good gas mileage and are quieter than anything else out there.

2 strokes have come a long way in the last few years. I would avoid the Verado because its new and the first time anyone has ever tried boosting an outboard in a marine enviornment. Time will tell how well that works out but looking at the early Ficht, Optimax and HPDI experiences, I'd not want to be the Guinea Pig. Like I said, in a new technology 2 stroke, my choice would be the Ficht.

Now, having said all that, I have a plain old carbed 2 stroke on my boat and am plenty happy with it. I get 2 - 2.5 nmpg (not great but a whole lot better than they used to be) and if something breaks down I stand a better than 50% chance of working it out enough on my own to get back to the dock. The technology for the carbed 2 stroke is also bullet proof no matter which motor you get.

To answer your simple question, is not hearing your motor worth the extra money? You definitley aren't going to save $3k or more in fuel usage over the years to make up the difference between a 4 stroke and a direct inject 2 stroke...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's some good info guys, thanks.

Sow trout,
I saw the E-tecs, but I'm looking for a 115, do they make a 115?

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
It depends on how much you fish. If you will put hundreds of hours on your motor a year, then the extra money spent initially will save you in the long run. I have a little 30 Honda 4 Stroke. All 30's are easy on the gas, but this thing is super quiet, no worry with how much oil goes in the fuel. I have a friend that runs a 130 Suzuki on an older Shallow Sport(no sides). He loves it cause of the quietness and fuel economy. He fishes a lot and drives long trips sometimes. I have seen him try to start the motor not knowing it was already running, the thing is quiet. 4 strokes have been on the market a while now. Keep an eye out, look at crab boats, Coast Guard boats. See what kind of motors they run...They are on the water more than any of us.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,059 Posts
For a 115, I'd look at the Yamaha HPDI or the Evinrude Ficht. I think the E-Tec's show a lot of promise but I also think they are new and I'd want to wait a couple of years to be sure they got all the bugs worked out. In the size you're looking at, both the HPDI and the Ficht have proven themselves quite reliable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts