2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He called a 10PM last night with the news. It was all his fault, hot rodding again. So when we got to there I didn't know if I was going to hug him or kick his butt. The good Lord was watching over him and his young lady friend as neither were hurt and we are thankful. However the car is a real mess, and he is broken up over it, as he wanted to hang on to it and turn it into a show car.

Not sure if what to do, as this was his only way to work, and he wasn't carrying full coverage on it. Part of me wants to bail him out and get him a cheap car to get to work, and the other part of me still wants to just kick his butt. It was a nice car and he had a lot of blood, sweat and money in it and I know it is killing him right now. Any of y'all got any ideas?

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Buy him an old volkswagon....can't hot rod it, and transportation to work! Let him earn back the right to hot rod on his own.

Later
R3F

·
Registered
709 Posts
D, I met him at your house - fine young man - we all were at one time. He's getting a hard lesson, your support will mean a lot - now and later, believe me. You'll make the right decision , it just pi**es you off like it would any other Father. Good luck, GC.

·
Senior Mumbler
11,453 Posts
How about a 4cyl 4-on-the-floor mini pick up? He won't be able to haul #$% but he can haul tools, lawn equipment and luggage for when he goes off to college.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Just what R3F said,but mustangs are way too light in the rear end. Dont know just what happened but from my past with mustangs the rear end comes around and passes the front. The rear end is too light for the horse power. I own a body shop and have seen this before. Not a good car for a young driver who may tend to show off as most of us did at that age. Main thing is your son and friend are OK so you can yell at him all you want.

·
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fabian31268 said:
a volkswagon can be fixed up to be one heck of a hotrod
I know that's a fact as my first care was a 69 VW Karmann Ghia and after some work she would really move. And yes I hot rodded, but luck was with me as I never cracked her up. I moved on to a 72 Camero that would really haul butt and again was lucky. What I can't make him understand is I did my hot rodding on the back roads of Virginia where there was not any traffic. I-45 is no place to be cutting up, just too many other cars and drivers to content with out there. I just hope he learns something from all of this.

·
Banned
145 Posts
If he seems so intent on racing...buy him a race car. Let him learn a little responsibility through racing...business plan, budgets, etc, etc...you know the other 99 things that go with driving that make up a successful driver.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
My son did the same thing a few months back, except he took a corner to fast and plowed into the curb, air bags deployed, right front tire and suspension pushed backed, engine pudhed back and leaking oil, etc. ********* got me a deal on his neighbors used 95 Ranger PU 4 cylinder automatic. Nice truck but it don't go fast and its not cool to race in.

Buy him and old truck/car and let him know if he wants something better he needs to start saving. One of the best decisions that I have made concerning my son. The BEST decision was when I refused to get him out of jail for possession of a controlled substance, told him to make the best deal he could and call me when he got out of jail.

·
Adrift on the Mother Lagoon
825 Posts
I'm really glad they are ok. Your headline gave me chills and reminded me of my past. When I was in highschool we had a close group of friends. One got a Mustang GT for a graduation present. He was dead thirty days later hotrodding it. I'm sure his parents never forgave themselves for giving him that car. To young with to fast of a car.

·
Registered
30,690 Posts
teenagers and hot rods just don't go well together. at 16, my dad bought me a 1972 datsun 1200. it had 12" tires. i fixed up the inside with shag carpet and an 8-track stereo with nice speakers so that i'd be cool, but i was never challenged or tempted to race. :biggrin:

·
Registered
16,940 Posts
Don't buy him another car. Let him buy one on his own. Its called "tough love". I did my share of hot rodding, but my Dad never bought me a car. He always told me if I wanted it bad enough I would find a way to get it. I bought my first car throwing newspapers off a bicycle. When I crashed it I went back to the bicycle untill I could afford another car. I went through 4 cars in High School alone. Still had 2 of them when I went into the Air Force. Dad sold one of them as soon as I left for basic. It was a 37 Ford coupe with a "409" in it. It was a death trap. He sold it to a junk yard.

Your son will learn more if you let him buy his own car.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,490 Posts
Luckily I didn't get in any accidents hot rodding, but I did get a couple of tickets. On the second one, I was going 120 in a 55 with my '65 Impala SS. What the cop didn't know is I had been going even faster before he clocked me. (Don't know why the cop didn't take me to jail, he kept saying he could and should.) When I got home to break the news to my dad, he stood up and said, "You have 2 weeks to sell that car. If you don't sell it by then, I'll sell it and I don't care how much I get because it isn't my money." My dad is always a caring man, even when he has to punish me. To see him this gruff, I knew I had let him down. At the time, I thought he was just mad at the ticket. What I understand a lot better now though, is that I know just how dangerous what I was doing really is. When you're a teenager, your indestructible.

I sold that car within 2 weeks.

Not long later I was walking home from school, the height of embarassment for a 16 year old. That's when I met "Charlene", my '54 Chevy. I walked right up as the owner put a FOR SALE sign up. When I brought dad over to look, the first thing he did was open the hood. When he saw that old 235 straight six in there, he gave his blessing. That car fixed me from racing for good. It looked so good, it didn't need to go fast.
I didn't get a speeding ticket again for 12 years when I ran into a speed trap in the lovely town of Hubbard, TX. the speed limit went from 70 to 35 with no "reduced speed ahead" sign. I imagine my dad was going through the same feeling you are right now. He was firm and a little gruff, but he got the point across, and the combination of his disappointment and a car that wouldn't go fast really fixed me pretty good. - Coach

Reactions: Belinda

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Buy him a real piece $500 or less for transportation only. If he wants a better car tell him he will have to work and save. Hard lesson to learn, but better now than hurt or kill himself or someone else. Time to be responsible for his actions. Glad no one was hurt. Loss of a child is devastating. I am there.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I can tell you guys from experiance running with the racing crowd in Houston....it's not really a good place to be. I had a Bug with 400whp just sold it last weekend. THe crowd that's out there is where kids get into trouble and where alot of trouble takes place. Even if it's not them. I can't count how many times I saw or heard a gun at some of theses places. Then found out that probably 50% of the cars that showed up ended up being vandalized or burgled from someone who attended these get togethers. FWIW when I raced it did nothing but comsume money and PLENTY Of it. Even when I kept racing at the track, when you left the track it was 100 hondas fartcanning past you at 100mph and weaving through traffic. Get in their way and they poke a 9mm out the window at you!
I say get him a Samuri with some 31's or 33's on it. He'll be lucky to get it over 55mph

·
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bobby said:
Don't buy him another car. Let him buy one on his own. Its called "tough love". I did my share of hot rodding, but my Dad never bought me a car. He always told me if I wanted it bad enough I would find a way to get it. I bought my first car throwing newspapers off a bicycle. When I crashed it I went back to the bicycle untill I could afford another car. I went through 4 cars in High School alone. Still had 2 of them when I went into the Air Force. Dad sold one of them as soon as I left for basic. It was a 37 Ford coupe with a "409" in it. It was a death trap. He sold it to a junk yard.

Your son will learn more if you let him buy his own car.
He bought this one, but is still paying on it. Thats the problem, it was on a signature loan, so full coverage was not required on the car. He was trying to go cheap on insurance and now it is biting him. We thought that because he was paying on it, he would take better care of it. Showing off for girls will get you everytime.

Guess we have to find him some cheap wheels fast so he doesn't lose his job.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.