2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Fair chase fisherman!
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one fished it recently? I was looking to go out there this weekend and fish it for the first time any help with some good Cat and white spots would be apreciated or if you want to protect your spots that fine too just a report would be nice.

Thanks
If you see me say hi I will be in the white Blazer Bay 2220.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Somerville

LongRodMaster said:
Has any one fished it recently? I was looking to go out there this weekend and fish it for the first time any help with some good Cat and white spots would be apreciated or if you want to protect your spots that fine too just a report would be nice.

Thanks
If you see me say hi I will be in the white Blazer Bay 2220.
I talked to Bruce at the marina yesterday and he said the whites were schooling early near the island....Then it's trolling Pet Spoons behind Hellbenders near Welch Park and the dam.......Capt. Wayne

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Try punchbait on windblown banks in and around timber. Should find some channels. I'd try depths anywhere from 1-15ft. Channels should be shallow early and move off as the sun comes up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
HELLO CAPPY:
NOT CATFISHIN, BUT,
I hear your show very regular and you have expressed your fondness for Brim. If I remember correctly, my Dad (50 years ago) would catch Brim, clean & scale them and fry them whole, bones and all and we would eat them and chew up the bones. Is my memory fading in my old age. Do you filet them?
Thanks, John

·
Registered
117 Posts
bream

starshine said:
HELLO CAPPY:
NOT CATFISHIN, BUT,
I hear your show very regular and you have expressed your fondness for Brim. If I remember correctly, my Dad (50 years ago) would catch Brim, clean & scale them and fry them whole, bones and all and we would eat them and chew up the bones. Is my memory fading in my old age. Do you filet them?
Thanks, John
Hi John...Yes, I filet them...The bream that we keep average 3/4 lb. to 1 lb and you can filet them with an electric knife.........Capt. Wayne

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can anyone comment on the water level at Somerville now. Did recent rains reach up there and get the lake closer to normal? I've been reluctant to take the boat there thus far this year.

Thanks!

·
Fair chase fisherman!
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The lake is still low but if you stay on the east side of it you should not have any problems. Big creek ramp is tough for some boats to launch out of but if you go to Birch you should have no problems.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi,
I would buy some CatFish Charlie Shad dip bait,at Academy.And use a bullet weight,then tie a swivel on to a rubber dip bait treble hook. I think you can buy the jigs two or three in a pack.
Then I would get some shell corn and add three cans of beer and sour up the corn in a 5 gal.bucket along with some water.
After a few days the corn will be good and sour. Throw out the corn in the area you plan to fish for the catfish. Night time fishing is the best. You haven't got all the jet ski's,or the hot sun to put up with.
I like the boat ramp at Yeagua Park the best on FM 1948.
Use the boat ramp on the right side of the park,here they have a small pier to tie up too,as you park the truck.
You might troll for some bass around the dam also.
At Rocky Creek Park on 1948,they also have a pier to tie up too.
This is the boat ramp that's on the North side of the lake.
Here they have two spots that you can back youur boat into the water.
I've always found the right side of the North boat ramp the best spot to put the boat in.The left side of the boat ramp is washout on the left side.
Just enough for your boat trailer tire to drop off of the ramp.
From Rocky Creek boat ramp you can turn to the left from the boat ramp,and try fishing arouund what everyone call's the Hump.
A small island where at times the white bass will surface and chase shad to the top.
GOOD luck if I can be of any more help send me a pm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts