2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Some Galveston Seawall Pics

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Surf Hunter 
#1 ·
Made a trip down the seawall today and took some pics. No surprise here, Ike certainly changed the landscape on the beach....or, wait, there is no beach off the seawall. Pretty much all the way from 61st St heading east, Ike removed all that sand Galveston has been dumping off the seawall in attempts to rebuild the beach. Remains to be seen if some of it will eventually re-appear, but probably not much of it. Some interesting observations - all the rock groins now have a very well defined, deep trench running almost all the way to the seawall. No sand in front of the seawall, water dug out a shallow trench in front of the granite rocks lining the base of the seawall. I'm guessing these might be some nice areas to catch flounder when conditions are clear. The seawall took a beating, the faces of the concrete were heavily pitted from the continuous beating of the storm surge and most of the painted murals were eroded off.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
its kinda strange , each individual storm has its own unique way of doings its damage, mr ike was no exception, we here will feel the effects for many years to come, jus hope its at least another 25 years before it happens again! , by that time a few other youngsters will have to fill our shoes! and i jus heard that commercial,, and right now im not living the high life but wont be long,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#5 ·
I'ld guess that there is approximately 150' of beach missing along much of the west end and up to 5' or more of sand depth judging by the lines on pilings still showing. There are many very large houses now sitting on the beach and some houses are just gone. This will be a long time in getting straitened out.

Most of the on-beach parking areas west of the seawall are inaccessible due to washed out entry ways. I doubt that it is healthy to get on those beaches right now, anyway, due to the number of broken sewer lines.

GY

#11 ·
Surf Hunter - that is exactly one of the top 10 questions I asked about Galveston. Did the crab and jumbo shrimp make it in front of Gaido's? Yes, was the answer.

As a native Houstonian I too see the seawall with certain landmarks. The crab and shrimp are two definite landmarks. When I saw in the Houston Chronicle, days after Ike hit, Gaido's providing a shrimp boil to the workers on the island - I had a bigger smile on my face. They laid out long tables with white tables covers in the driveway area of Gaido's. When no other restaurant was open - they were feeding the tv crews, reporters, rescue workers, city workers, (the FEMA folks that showed up that early) etc. That place gets my business and they are tops in my book. Way to go Gaido's!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.