2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sometimes lessons learned can be exspensive..

Well I started out thinking I was going to make a run to TxCity today and beat the crowd. I took off at noon today and grabed the boat and came home to load up. When I got home I noticed the tires a little low on air so i filled them up. Secondly I remembered it's been a trip or two sense I greesed the bearings so a little greese to the fitting and I loaded up and good to go.

Well I came off 290 onto 620 with no problem and on to I10 East to hit I45 when everything went South Quick. All of a sudden my truck swayed right, then left and jerking in between. I have no idea how I keep from going over or even hitting the gaurd rail except the fact I was being carefull and not driving very fast.

Suddenly I thought about what I had posted last week on the Boating Board about needing to change my leaf springs. Then not only a couple of days ago I was talking with a friend about helping me change them out.

Yeap, Spring broke and the rest is history, exspensive lesson and I only hope the boat is not messed up. My only concern for now is the eye on the front looks like it has been pulled out about a 1/2 inch. Trailer is toast I'm afraid it looks twisted a little so it's off to shopping for a new trailer.

Piscs
1. on the side of the road.
2. got home and side view
3. front view with bent rails.

FN

PS - If you got caught in that traffic jam I caused I appologize, I drug it as far as I could to get it off the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt Matt. Sorry about your boat and trailer. Empty pockets is right after today! Again, glad it wasn't worse than it was.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
youch

Dang, that looks scary Matt. Glad you kept it on the road bro. Hope you get back on the water soon. If ya need to fish you know where mine is parked. It could use a little water under it.

BTW, couldnt you have done this in an area where you could find a better place to pull over? lol Yikes

Z

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah we stayed in the road but bounced off the gaurd rail once I think. I'm just glad it happened in a place that I was going slow. Had I been on the open road going 60 or 65 I think it would have flipped us. When I looked in the rear view mirrow the boat was in the air about 3 feet off the ground.

Zak - With my luck this year I think I better not take you up on your offer. This makes number 3 so hopefully my bad luck streak is over.

I do have insurance on the boat and trailer so we will see how that works out.

FN

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Man that sucks! Is it just perception in the first pic or did the tire screw up the prop?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Man, that is scary! ....I remember when Hurricane Andrew hit Florida and FEMA had lots of trailers to loan to the evacuees.....Well, at auction my parents were able to pick up a 28' footer, far past due of the evacuation notices, for 2800.00 bucks.....It had no windows..My brother hitched it up to a late model 1 ton Ford pickup and the wind swirling through the windows swayed that trailer all over the road......My dad and I followed in his Mercedes.....We were not to go over 30 mph, for the next 3 or so hours...but we got that "treasure" home!

·
11,765 Posts
CoolChange©© said:
Man that sucks! Is it just perception in the first pic or did the tire screw up the prop?
The lower unit and prop look a little cockeyed in that picture. Hope that isn't the case and its just the angle of the photo. Glad ya'll didn't get injured.

·
Kayak Fisher
7,565 Posts
Matt,

I get the feeling that sometimes this kind of incident is an act of God intended to keep us from a more major trauma. Like you said, if it had happened a little later when you were on the open road doing 60 MPH, it could have been really bad (possibly loss of life and involvment of other vehicles).

God is good and has good plans for us. I'm so glad he kept his hand on you and kept you from harm. "Stuff" can be repaired or replaced. You are irreplaceable!

·
Thank You! Next
7,758 Posts
Fishnut,

Let us know the outcome , I feel for ya , I have been there before , I won't hijack the thread , but mine was with an airboat and a Toyota truck.. Very Interesting ??? Keep us updated , I believe you should be fine with boat, but like Tod said , look at her good..

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
Ouch! Gald everyone is ok. As far as the trailor, I've heard alot of good things about Sportsmans Trailors here in Santa Fe, 409 925-2526.

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks folks

Some have asked about the motor and prop, best I can tell it seems to be unharmed. The axle and wheel came out the side and stopped where it is at. I do not see any marks on the hull at all where something might have hit.

I do plan to take it to a boat shop and have them look it over, hopefully everything is OK.

Anyone got suggestions on if I should fix this trailer or just buy a new one? I have to wait untill I talk to the insurance company Monday but I think I am going to puch for a new one. I'm just afraid this one could be twisted somehow and there are a few cracked welds I can visually see. I will PT the others and see if there are any you can't see with the naked eye.

Mrs. B - You ar right about that, I guess in some ways he was looking out for me.

FN

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I'm glad you, the boat and trailer are relatively okay. Steelco in Santa Fe can repair the trailer to almost new condition for a lot less than a new one. It really doesn't look like the trailer is in too bad of shape. I'm curious about how you got the boat and trailer back to your house. I have wondered what I would do in the same situation. The worst that I've had happen is that I saw a wheel from my dog trailer, with seven dogs in it, pass me while I was driving 70 mph and I was in the middle of nowhere in S. Texas

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sow

I had to get a Flatbed Wrecker to bring it home, cost me 150.00 for 20 miles. Oh and do not ever call Houston Safe Clear, it took them 1 1/2 hours to get to me. I counted 5 HPD drive by and just look also, they would not stop. Finally one on a Motor Bike stopped but only because I waved him down.

Do you have Steelco's number? If I repair this one I will probably convert it to a Tandem instead of a single.

FN

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Dang Matt, it coulda picked a better area to break, thats right by my office, I bet when the big trucks came by the pucker facter was real high...lol.... The rig can be replaced, just glad your ok, it coulda been much worse....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts