2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running airboats, in order to scare up ducks, is illegal. Yet, time and time again you see this happening. They drop hunters off at a spot and then run around through every nook and cranny of every bayou and flat, trying to flush birds.

There were two of them running around the island, near Green's Bayou, just the other day. It seems, at least one of them, is using the house at Greens as their place of operation.

Why can't this be stopped? Airboats aren't exactly the quietest thing and it's not like you can't tell when it's happening. They literally ran most of the ducks out into the deep water, offshore. Eventually, most of the ducks will get tired of it and vacate the area all together. This ruins the duck hunting and fishing, for everyone, when this is happening.sad3sm

·
The older I get, the better I was.
2,830 Posts
I assume you called and reported it to the GW. They get the reports they will make a few appearances. The only thing is that if they have a "base of operations" they will simply say they were dropping guys off and heading back to the camp. If the GW runs out there a few times it might minimize the runs. Best of luck on that situation.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I have videoed hazing and got a stop put to it. I don't think the guy got ticketed, but was told in no uncertain terms that next time he'd get the book thrown at him. You're right about the effect on the ducks. It's a stupid short term strategy. Call and complain if you see it, try to get TX numbers, and if you have a decent (even cheap) video camera with a zoom, use it. It's common practice down the coast and it sucks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My cusin was in Rockport with some of his Young Life Kids and was duck hunting. Some of the high schoolers with him it was their first time in the blind. They waited until after first light and went to a blind they had found fishing the previous day. They set up decoys and waited for the birds. They got a shot on a group of redheads and as soon as they retrived their birds a man in an airboat came full throttle at them, bumped into the blind and did not even say hello just started cussing them. They explained their situation and picked up. Their friends were in the blind about 100 yards away and saw it all happen. As soon as he was done with them he went over to the other blind, however these kids were not as willing to move. The airboat captain began to fish in their decoys and place his airboat where his propwash was hitting everyone in the blind. This is extremely dangerous. He got pictures of the boat and regestration numbers. What can he do to not have this happen again to someone else. He thinks it was a guide around Rockport.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
He got pictures of the boat and regestration numbers. What can he do to not have this happen again to someone else. He thinks it was a guide around Rockport.
He can file hunter harassment charges and he should. Possibly also reckless endangerment. Tell him not to take any "soft talk" from TPWD. He's got the evidence and he should stick with it - that ***** needs to be taught a lesson.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
My cusin was in Rockport with some of his Young Life Kids and was duck hunting. Some of the high schoolers with him it was their first time in the blind. They waited until after first light and went to a blind they had found fishing the previous day. They set up decoys and waited for the birds. They got a shot on a group of redheads and as soon as they retrived their birds a man in an airboat came full throttle at them, bumped into the blind and did not even say hello just started cussing them. They explained their situation and picked up. Their friends were in the blind about 100 yards away and saw it all happen. As soon as he was done with them he went over to the other blind, however these kids were not as willing to move. The airboat captain began to fish in their decoys and place his airboat where his propwash was hitting everyone in the blind. This is extremely dangerous. He got pictures of the boat and regestration numbers. What can he do to not have this happen again to someone else. He thinks it was a guide around Rockport.
burn both blinds.... the game wardens down there don't seem to want to do anything. i hear these are effective..

http://www.duraflame.com/

·
Vendor
2,083 Posts
Super Zoom HD Video

We specialize in puddle ducks and our means to get to most everything we hunt is by airboat. It doesn't take long to figure out that success is dependent on getting in and getting those boats shut down as quickly as possible. Natural air traffic is the most lethal for puddle duck species. Teal, Gads, Widge, Pins will not decoy at all when run up or hazed, or bumped, etc. at least not in our area of the world.

The problem is on divers. If you bump a diver with an airboat it's going to hit somebodies decoys. It's bad for the sport and bad for the birds. There isn't anything more annoying to anyone in the business than listening to the whine of a fan boat in the distance and yes it is a dead giveaway.

These guys do get busted. Shortly before Game Warden Justin Hurst was killed, I ran into him at Charlies and he had nailed some guys for rallying behind the Post Lake area. Hunting up in Mission Bay 3 years ago, we kept hearing the non-stop frenzy of an airboat on some inland fresh and brackish private water areas. It would run, then you'd hear some "whomp whomp" and this went on for days. The State and Feds picked up on it and set a nasty snare. Turns out, when they went in, the operators there were running up Canvasbacks and their guests were hammering them and not even bothering to pick them up. The hunters were from Maryland and fines totalling over $75,000 were levied. That was the end of that.

Unscrupulous operators have met our HD video cameras in the past and we keep them close at hand for just this kind of nonsense. We will drop a dime on them so fast it will make their head spin and you can bet we'll have "the goods".

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Good for you KK. I agree on the puddle ducks but they'll often offer a pass shot after being hazed. The guy I videoed was chasing a big flock of redheads around. He'd bust them they'd move and he'd beeline straight to them and bust them again. Pretty hard to claim he was moving hunters, etc., etc.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Would love to know more info about the Rockport situation. What bay, what type of boat etc? I spend allot of time there and hunt whatever blind I want generally and have had no problems so far and its been 12 years. A guide would definately regret doing that to me, the duraflame sounds great, but seriously file charges against him. That might be the only way to stop the guy

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only thing is that if they have a "base of operations" they will simply say they were dropping guys off and heading back to the camp.
No, they dropped the hunters off and then went completely around the house and then past it without any hunters. They then drove around non-stop throughout every spot that they could find to the west of Green's bayou.

I've seen them do this on several occassions, but it was my father who witnessed it while trying to fish this past week. With the high tides they could literally run behind the bayous up on top of the sand where they wouldn't normally run.

He told me what he'd witnessed and I reminded him of when we watched them doing the same thing last season. They eventually ran the birds off, last season, and it'll happen again this year, unless it stops.

He said that they were relentless and wouldn't quit. He also said that when they left, the birds were rafted by the thousands out offshore. They'd been pushed from their feeding grounds by the airboat operators. Whether they'll return, who knows.

My dad doesn't carry a video camera like I do. If I'd been with him I'd have posted the video here, because I guarantee that I would've video'd it. I guess I'll have to make a trip back out there and do it. These jerks need to be stopped. :mad:

·
Vendor
2,083 Posts
Moving Hunters & Rockport Issue, My Thoughts.

Rallying

Keep this in mind, when we move hunters, we communicate with our other blinds by radio and instruct everyone that "there is to be no shooting" while a move is taking place. Hazing and rallying are tough tasks for the Game Wardens because they have to be there when it's happening and so many times it's hard to predict when this is going to happen. When it is happening, you don't think it's ever going to end.

If you have the video goods on this, it will get pursued and "moving hunters" isn't going to work as an excuse. All it takes is "an appearance of impropriety and they can be tangled up in a very serious State and worse, Federal issue. The "Lacey Act" is the Federal Statute that protects migratory waterfowl and it is a nasty piece of legislation to work out of.

Rockport

I do not and would not recommend burning the blinds. That's destruction of what is actually someone's personal property. While the blind location is public and it's use is "technically public", the materials and so forth are the personal property of the person that built it. To treat one illegal act with the knee jerk reaction of doing another illegal act is a dead end in my opinion. We have been injured, we have allowed injury to occur to us without retaliation on our part. We let the law do our talking and that is the best recommendation. If you take matters into your own hands it will get you no where nor will it affect any sort of change.

Port A & Rockport waterfowl guides function in a different world than most and that may be backed by local authorities. I can't speak to that. Their blinds and hunting locations, while technically public, are operated and enforced as if they are private.

Pursuing Hunter Harrassment charges is the best means to an end and this legislation in and of itself is a very nasty entanglement for a licensed fishing guide/waterfowl guide.

These are my thoughts from many years in the business, what you do is ultimately up to you.

·
Sky Liver Eatin nujaC
909 Posts
Yup, Called Harrasment, Call the number. 361/790-0312 (rockport, office)

Heres the link to all the other numbers.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/owner/office_locations/

Also, next time your stopped and checked by a GW, ask how you can contact him. Lot of time they will give you their cell number. I keep several on my phone, and have called plenty of times, for various issues. I keep a Vid Camera assecible as well.

Airboat operators as described, give a bad name to all airboat operators. I dont appreicate it.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no intention of messing with their blinds, but they do need to know that they are going to be watched and eventually video'd. I will then make this video available to anyone and everyone who'll watch it.

The fact that they have a house over there seems to make them believe that it is their domain to do with as they wish. This is the part that really chaps my hide. They run around the whole area without a second thought that others are trying to utilize it, as well. :hairout:

·
Registered
112 Posts
You have got to be kidding me. There are two sides to every story. I own the marroon boat that was out there, and my buddy owns the silver one. We are not guides and enjoy hunting and are very respectful of other hunters. We get there early, hunt and pack up around 9:00 and head back. We have no clients and no one to even run birds for if we wanted to. We are the hunters. Saturday, mid day, we both adjusted our props and took the boats out to run them after doing so. That is the only time we even had them out other than to hunt. Sunday morning, my boat, the marroon one got to the blind and discovered that one of the hunters grabbed the wrong case and had his SKS instead of his shotgun. We still hunted and just shared a gun instead of heading back in the middle of the early hunt. Later on after discovering that there are no ducks, we stopped by the house to get the other gun, and headed the other direction. If you are the group that setup right in front of our house, there is only one way into our house. When you choose that spot you need to take that into consideration. This past weekend was the most guides we had ever seen out there. The green airboat was a guide that was running around, as well as a Majek with a poling platform that showed up in almost everyplace we went. We do not run birds, nor will we ever! If you ever see us running during shooting times it's only because there's an emergency or a problem. We take pride in hunting not driving our boats. That's the real story.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yup, Called Harrasment, Call the number. 361/790-0312 (rockport, office)

Heres the link to all the other numbers.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/owner/office_locations/

Also, next time your stopped and checked by a GW, ask how you can contact him. Lot of time they will give you their cell number. I keep several on my phone, and have called plenty of times, for various issues. I keep a Vid Camera assecible as well.

Airboat operators as described, give a bad name to all airboat operators. I dont appreicate it.
Oh yea there is a GW in Rockport whose number I would like to have!:biggrin:

·
Registered
207 Posts
You have got to be kidding me. There are two sides to every story. I own the marroon boat that was out there, and my buddy owns the silver one. We are not guides and enjoy hunting and are very respectful of other hunters. We get there early, hunt and pack up around 9:00 and head back. We have no clients and no one to even run birds for if we wanted to. We are the hunters. Saturday, mid day, we both adjusted our props and took the boats out to run them after doing so. That is the only time we even had them out other than to hunt. Sunday morning, my boat, the marroon one got to the blind and discovered that one of the hunters grabbed the wrong case and had his SKS instead of his shotgun. We still hunted and just shared a gun instead of heading back in the middle of the early hunt. Later on after discovering that there are no ducks, we stopped by the house to get the other gun, and headed the other direction. If you are the group that setup right in front of our house, there is only one way into our house. When you choose that spot you need to take that into consideration. This past weekend was the most guides we had ever seen out there. The green airboat was a guide that was running around, as well as a Majek with a poling platform that showed up in almost everyplace we went. We do not run birds, nor will we ever! If you ever see us running during shooting times it's only because there's an emergency or a problem. We take pride in hunting not driving our boats. That's the real story.
Do ya'll have the boat with the rainbow painted rudders?

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are the group that setup right in front of our house, there is only one way into our house. When you choose that spot you need to take that into consideration.
That was not us.

I never said you were a guide, either. I only said that the presence of airboats is negatively affecting the hunting and fishing for others.

Also, you guys, intentionally or not, are ruining the spot by running your boats throughout the bayous. The birds are ten times as skittesh as they were before people with airboats started making this area their own personal playground.

It is also a fact that the birds DO VACATE the area when constantly being pushed up by any type of boat. Whether you are doing it intentionally or not, isn't even the question. You are affecting everything around you. No one, birds included, enjoys the presence of a loud obnoxious machine plowing here and there.

Like I said, if you, or anyone else, in any type of boat, are seen "joyriding" or doing anything that even "looks" like you're rallying birds, we will video you and send it to a game warden. They can make the decision for themselves.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We specialize in puddle ducks and our means to get to most everything we hunt is by airboat. It doesn't take long to figure out that success is dependent on getting in and getting those boats shut down as quickly as possible. Natural air traffic is the most lethal for puddle duck species. Teal, Gads, Widge, Pins will not decoy at all when run up or hazed, or bumped, etc. at least not in our area of the world.

The problem is on divers. If you bump a diver with an airboat it's going to hit somebodies decoys. It's bad for the sport and bad for the birds. There isn't anything more annoying to anyone in the business than listening to the whine of a fan boat in the distance and yes it is a dead giveaway.

These guys do get busted. Shortly before Game Warden Justin Hurst was killed, I ran into him at Charlies and he had nailed some guys for rallying behind the Post Lake area. Hunting up in Mission Bay 3 years ago, we kept hearing the non-stop frenzy of an airboat on some inland fresh and brackish private water areas. It would run, then you'd hear some "whomp whomp" and this went on for days. The State and Feds picked up on it and set a nasty snare. Turns out, when they went in, the operators there were running up Canvasbacks and their guests were hammering them and not even bothering to pick them up. The hunters were from Maryland and fines totalling over $75,000 were levied. That was the end of that.

Unscrupulous operators have met our HD video cameras in the past and we keep them close at hand for just this kind of nonsense. We will drop a dime on them so fast it will make their head spin and you can bet we'll have "the goods".
KK, I appreciate your approach with the airboat. It is good to know that there are some Airboat owners that understand that it's not easy to sneak in and out with them, but still try. Part of my enjoyment of outdoors is the quiet peacefulness. That gets a little disturbed when a "nascar" type engine roars through. Anyway thanks for the efforts, some places they are the only way to get a group in and out. Someday I would like to come to seadrift and hunt.

My brother and nephew had a guide come to them and try to intimidate them into getting out of his blind a few years back. He was in an Airboat. As for me I would not hunt a blind that I did not build without permission or not. I know that the water is public BUT if I did not put in the blood, sweat, and tears then I am not going to use it. If I wanted to hunt the area I might set up near it as the bay is for the most part, first come first served.

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
ST , you seem to be in attack mode towards anyone with an airboat now.. you use it as your personal playground as well. I don't have a dog in this hunt but I don't believe all airboat owners should be stereo typed or blamed for short limits.. been seeing plenty of post will full limits..Walker

·
Registered
112 Posts
You have the universal response to anyone out there in that area that does not own an airboat. We have been there at that house for about four years now, and have never seen a decrease in the number of birds period. If you are familiar with that area, you should know that the birds are not down there yet, and it has nothing to do with what boat anyone chooses to use. We have not had the weather to push the birds down to the coast yet.

You (Speckled Trout) are the same guy that can be found throughout 2Cool on numerous other threads creating problems and talking alot of trash. I urge each and every person that comes on here and reads this to do a user search on 2Cool and see the trash that comes up under this user name. This guy is a joke.

We have been checked numerous times by the game warden out there, that was driving an airboat, and have never had a single ticket or issue, ever, as well as at the boat ramp. We take full responsibility for any of our actions both on the water and on land. Don't come on here posting false information because you had a bad hunt.

It is obvious from your last post that you are just back AGAIN talking trash about airboats just like the other threads that you've done the same exact thing in the past. I would be happy to meet you out there, or anywhere, anytime or place and discuss this further so you can look me in the eye and accuse us of such false accusations.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts