2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
you can't take away my birthday
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OH great photo wiz's. What programs do you use and what do I need to produce some great things with ???

I understand there will be a huge learning curve. Is photoshop really 600.00 ?

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
The complete suite porbably is,,,,you can get PS Elements 7 a whole lot cheaper and it will do all you need at this stage,Elements 8 may even be out now it is around $75 I think.

dick

·
SECEDE
702 Posts
If you are going to invest any serious amount of time into learning the software, go with Photoshop. There is a huge wealth of information on Photoshop in the form of DVD tutorials, forums, magazines, books, etc. You are not going to have as much help available to you with anything else. It is the industry standard.

With that being said; if you simply cannot put down the investment of time and money. Go with Gimp. It is a free download at www.gimp.org, it is nearly as powerful as Photoshop. Just about anything you would want to do, as a novice, can be done with Gimp. I have not used it myself, but I have seen it used. It was impressive. This way, if you do get bored with it, you are not out the initial investment.

·
Charter Member
5,925 Posts
I use Photoshop Elements 6.0 I haven't seen the need to upgrade to 7 or ver 8. I use it to edit my pictures, tweak the contrast, sharpness, and add a little UnSharpmask. It has the ability to have adjustment layers for more tedious editing as well as the clone tool, the paint brush, and a lot of other stuff. You might not ever find the need to get any more detailed than what Elements can do for you.

I also have Paint Shop Pro, the basic competition for Elements. Thye are priced about the same and have similar functionality. I haven't used Gimp or Picasa or any of the other free stuff.
Mike

·
Registered
670 Posts
I also use Photoshop Elements 6. I have yet to learn every aspect of the program so I mainly concentrate on getting the image right the first time staight out of the camera and adjust with photoshop. Dont get me wronge, I use alot of photoshop sometimes. Ok, alot of times, and spell check.

·
5,853 Posts
I have CS3 suite extended, and dont even use a 1/4 of it. About all I really use most often is curves and levels. Photoshope 6 has that and is a whole lot cheaper. Use the DPP software that came with the camera (raw conversion) then over the PS6 if you need to. Should be all you need.

·
you can't take away my birthday
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank's folks I kenw I could count on the 2cool gang for the real skinny.(boy, haven't heard that in awhile lol)

Anyway Elements 8 is out and it's $99 plus a $20 mail in rebate.
So it is on the way.

Looks like it will be just about all I'll need according to my advisors, thank you..thank you very much.......:cop::cheers:

·
1,188 Posts
I think I have a Photoshop Elements 5 or 6 I could sell you pretty cheap. I was given CS 4 as a gift I try to use it now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts