2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the annual Soap Box Derby for the Cub Scouts.Lots of folks and some really cool cars.Its a relay type race with a pusher and driver,double elimination and some serious competition.I had no idea what we were up against and we lost our first two races.My kid and I are gonna build a new cool car and with some good equipment such as spoked wheels with bearings versus lawnmower wheels maybe with some practice we will be the team to beat.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Glen,

What age do kids normally start Cub Scouts? Sounds like fun. Shouldn't be too long now, my oldest boy is three now.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
They start in Kindergarten, so about 5 or 6.

I took my son the other day to sign up for the local den and, unfortunately, was less than impressed. It was disappointing. We will probably look for a different group at the next go round.

FYI if you are into scout recruitment, you probably shouldn't have Richard Simmons doing the speaking...........

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
FYI if you are into scout recruitment, you probably shouldn't have Richard Simmons doing the speaking...........
LMAO..... No kiddin, watch out for your kiddo's folks, and pay attention to who they will be around on outings.....If you need a background search, lemme know, I can prolly help you out, if I can't, I happen to know someone who can......:D

·
Back in da Saddle
10,149 Posts
Actually they background the Adult leaders in Scouting ....and they are required to take several day long classes on abuse and things to watch for ...I'ed trust my child with a Scout leader before I would a Priest!!!

John

·
6,429 Posts
jtburf said:
Actually they background the Adult leaders in Scouting ....and they are required to take several day long classes on abuse and things to watch for ...I'ed trust my child with a Scout leader before I would a Priest!!!

John
LOL, dammit thats ashame ain't it.....

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Hmmm

I think I'll take the zero on both....and I am Catholic.

I'm not letting my kids go with anyone I don't know very well. It's just not worth it.

I think I'll teach my kids how to hunt, fish, tie knots and build stuff. Leave the chicken hawks to feed somewhere else.

·
6,429 Posts
I think that would be in yer best interest Troy, alltho, I'm sure there are some great scout dens out there, I was in Scouts and I had fun and learned alot, but I treasure the things I learned from my Dad much more, and also retained the teachings and rules of sportsmanship much better..... I feel the Scout troops are a great thing for children who's parents don't have the knowledge or time to spend teaching them about the outdoor enviroment, and I feel for those parents because they will never have the satisfaction of being able to say "I taught my kids to have respect for the outdoors and sportsmanship while applying conservation ethics for future generations"....

G

·
Badhabit said:
I think that would be in yer best interest Troy, alltho, I'm sure there are some great scout dens out there, I was in Scouts and I had fun and learned alot, but I treasure the things I learned from my Dad much more, and also retained the teachings and rules of sportsmanship much better..... I feel the Scout troops are a great thing for children who's parents don't have the knowledge or time to spend teaching them about the outdoor enviroment, and I feel for those parents because they will never have the satisfaction of being able to say "I taught my kids to have respect for the outdoors and sportsmanship while applying conservation ethics for future generations"....
What about the friendship and teamwork that comes with scouting?
Also, I would think that if a child is old enough to go off with a group of other kids under adult supervision then they are old enough to know "good touch, bad touch" and old enough to report anything out of line. - Just my 2 cents.

:rybka:

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Don't mean to say all are bad

I know better than that. Heck our own FishinChick is a scout leader. I'm pretty sure she is trustworthy.

I am just saying they aren't going off into the woods with a squirrell lookin for a nut. Simple as that.

·
Registered
351 Posts
scouts

Gotta respond on this one.As cub scouts they don't do anything or go anywhere without their parent.This makes for Great bonding of parent and boy.You get to learn with your son how to tie knots and fish and camp.Maybe even teach some boys with less experienced parents these things.When they are boy scouts and in 5th grade and up. Then they camp wit others and less adults.(2 rules)#1buddy system everywhere they go and #2no less than 2 adults around at all times.
Alot of boys need adults that know the outdoors to teach them these things and I bet you guys would do great at this.

·
6,429 Posts
Alot of boys need adults that know the outdoors to teach them these things and I bet you guys would do great at this.
You are correct Sir, I know several of these folks personally that would make fine teachers on outdoors expeditions.......I won't list them. but they know who they are......

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Glad I saw this thread

You guys are pretty accurate on most of what has been discussed. Job #1 is watch out for your kids no matter what program you are looking at. We do screen leaders - every single one now - with a criminal background check. It is certainly possible though, for someone to get in under the radar if they haven't been caught yet.

So here is how it lays out:

1) All leaders & co-leaders are required to fill out an application and submit to a criminal background check prior to working with children.

2) All leaders & co-leaders are required to participate in youth protection training. The training is simple and mostly helps people understand that something that might not seem questionable to them might be a problem for another family. Bottom line - there are boundaries - observe them faithfully.

3) Boys can enter cub scouts when they are in first grade. A pack may chose to allow a boy who is the age of a first grader who may still be in kindergarten (started late, repeated kindergarten, etc.) but it is not encouraged as he will finish before his classmates.

4) There are some drop off aspects of cub scouting as boys get older. This is not true for tigers (first grade.) Adult partners are required. Period. As they get older though, it is ok to have parents drop boys off at activities and/or den meetings. It is NEVER ok for a scout leader to have one-on-one contact with a boy. We call this 2-deep leadership and it is strictly required. Most packs discourage husband and wife 2-deep leadership for obvious reasons.

5) In cub scout camping, parents are required to attend unless there is some other family relationship such as a nephew attending with his aunt and uncle or a grandparent attending with a scout. Cub scouts are not permitted to sleep in a tent with ANYONE EXCEPT his parents (notable exceptions above) or other scouts.

6) In boy scouts, the 2-deep leadership rule applies and boys are NEVER permitted to sleep in a tent with an adult unless it is a parent. Mostly though, parents do not attend unless they are there in a leadership capacity in which case he or she will be camping with adult leadership and the boys camp on their own.

7) In boy scouts, we discourage boys with an age difference of 3 years or more from tenting together UNLESS there is a specific need or reason. Such a specific need might be an older scout mentoring a younger boy who is having a difficult time fitting in, etc. Sometimes just hanging out with the older boys is all the younger boy needs to be better accepted by his peers.

I could go on and on (and sort of already have). The most important take away is that boys have fun and learn skills they will depend on their entire lives in scouting. Perhaps the most important of which is self-reliance. This is a skill that is perhaps harder to transfer between father and son that between older scout to tenderfoot. While it is true that a mother or father can teach a boy to tie a knot, there are additional lessons he will learn when he learns it from another boy and a pride that comes with showing it to you the first time he gets the chance.

That is what scouting is about IMHO.

FC

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Thanks FC!

That is why in my first post I said we would be looking for another group in our area. The first one (closest one) was a little suspect to me. Very disappointing. Too bad your group isn't closer to us!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
troy merrill said:
That is why in my first post I said we would be looking for another group in our area. The first one (closest one) was a little suspect to me. Very disappointing. Too bad your group isn't closer to us!
Troy, Check out the local churches, VFW, Knights of Columbus, and other local schools for other Packs/Troops to check out. It's not too late to join up. I was the District Commissioner for the Cradle of Texas, as well as Asst. Scout Leader, and I also have my Wood Badge, which is the highest training a Scout leader can get. Scouting isn't just about dropping your kids off and picking them up an hour later, It's about being involved with him. BSA doesn't stand for Babysitters of America. Not saying that about you, but to many parents who just drop their boys off and careless about what he does. My son made Eagle and I was at his side the whole way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts