2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and has been dying for a while now and I just thought it was the summer heat.. but I watered... well, I have been noticing tons of little moths always flying up or around in the grass when I walk across it checking things out.. lots of them... are these causing the issue possibly?

Previously to it all dying, I had spread some bank sand around to fill in some low areas and such, all those areas died first. :rotfl:

Any ideas.... I think I am going to cut the entire lawn out, fertilize, redirt, and then put some good zoisa or bermuda instead of the st. augustine.. make it look like a golf course. :)

What to do.. ??

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Its all that sea salt in the sand you stole off the beach to put on your yard that killed your grass.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Follically Challenged
5,373 Posts
There is alot of info here that might help you next year.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/
Chinch and Grubs tore yer yard up! Start over if you want a full lawn by next summer!
So my yard grass is dead..

I like how you felt the need to differentiate.:biggrin:
that ther are fuhneeee! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::cheers:
Its all that sea salt in the sand you stole off the beach to put on your yard that killed your grass.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Just move... :)
X2

·
21,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, so what do I need to do? I can see many parts of it are dead and don't see it coming back anytime soon... do I spread more topsoil on it? do I spray a herbicide all over it? do I start from scractch all over again like I mentioned in my first post? It's not a huge front yard... I could see cutting 2-3" out of it and beginning new... probably 4-5 pallets worth of grass is all.

·
21,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
spittlebugs
ok, not them... I googled it..

but I am going with lawn moths...

this describes them:

Lawn moths are small pale coloured moths that fly up from grass when disturbed. They will land very quickly, fold up their wings and crawl into the grass.
Diet and Damage
They eat grass, roots, corn and many clovers. If you see a large brown patch on your lawn, it is probably caused by these guys. They chew grass down to the roots. Brown patches occur in hot dry spots on your lawn. If you have a nicer lawn then your neighbour then they will pick yours! They are quite fussy. They also eat corn, can skeletonize leaves, notch and chew holes.
http://organicgardensite.com/bugs-harmful/lawn-moths/http://organicgardensite.com/bugs-harmful/lawn-moths/

·
Registered
872 Posts
before they were moths...
they were SOD WEB WORMS....
the worm eats your grass turns into a moth and flys away....

any general yard labeled inscetacide will kill the worms...

at the moment in the houston area you have...
sod web worms
chinch bugs
pine bark beattles
and
brown patch
castaway300

·
Follically Challenged
5,373 Posts
They sound alot like Oprah or Rosie O'Donuts. Move!!! LOL
Nope, he wants to watch the help he is going to pick up from Westpark and 59 get all hot & sweaty first,...:rotfl:

·
Registered
120 Posts
before they were moths...
they were SOD WEB WORMS....
the worm eats your grass turns into a moth and flys away....

any general yard labeled inscetacide will kill the worms...

at the moment in the houston area you have...
sod web worms
chinch bugs
pine bark beattles
and
brown patch
castaway300
x2
This past month the problem has been sod webworm which is green and soft and looks like an inchworm and feeds off the grass leaf. Their parents are the gray moth that you may see fluttering around your shrubs and grass.
These worms make your lawn look bad but won't kill it. Once they are controlled the grass will fully recover in 2 weeks.
Any insecticide will knock them out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts