2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Slicing and Dicing!
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No deer,no hogs but I got loads of squirrels,wood ducks,an otter all doing the morning thing. Well I'm watching these squirrels and them guys eat just the little white center out of the corn kernal, they go for the sweetest meat! Does anyone know what's the deal with shooting ducks close to a feeder? How far do they have to be from the feeder before you can crack'm?

·
Wish the hull of my boat was wet!
10,861 Posts
Depends on what kinda mood your local GW is in! :smile:

·
Headhunter...Fishhunter.. .Deerhunter...
1,586 Posts
Just wait on the deer and hogs.. they will come ;) screw the ducks.. if it is questionable usually best not to do it..

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
The deal on the ducks is that you also cannot shoot them in transit to or from a baited area....

There is also a number of days that you have to wait until after the bait is gone before you can shoot them....

I do not know this number, because I never want to chance it and if the GW finds ONE kernel of corn on the ground that the animals missed, you are toast....

·
Slicing and Dicing!
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I wasnt gonna shoot them, Yet. Was just wondering abouth the rules and laws regarding that. We will probly bring the dog and waders and lay up behind the back one morning. They always swim from the back of the lake area all the way up to the feeder about 200yds and then walk over and graze on the sweet goodness.

·
Cut 'em!
2,622 Posts
Went through this last year on a monumental scale. As posted earlier a duck on his way to or from a baited area will get you a citation.

If they land in the back, swim across the lake and walk to the feeder, they are coming to the bait when they land in the back. Citation.

Bait has to be totally removed for 10 days before its OK to hunt.

Know of one case in North Carolina (we sued the Feds last year, I did some research) where there was a known cornfield that was considered "baited" It was some 7 miles from a refuge that held lots of ducks. The ducks would fly from the refuge to feed in the baited area.

Some guys huntin flyway directly between said field and the refuge, knew about the field, but were five miles from the field....were cited. They were hunting ducks going to and from bait. Charges stuck.

·
Slicing and Dicing!
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man that sux! They roost in the back. Its like three flooded woods areas it used to be an old well site and I guess these were the mud pits. But my stand is in the center and a bank borders the whole thing kinda built up like a ****. I guess we will just leave them alone, better safe than sorry. I don't wanna go breaking the law. They sure are pretty to watch and man when the come in they can ski along way!

·
Raiser of BOB White Quail
19,039 Posts
I love to watch the woodies flying through the trees. Do you hear them whistling. I'm with you. I don't wanna start something with the game dude.

·
Slicing and Dicing!
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love to watch the woodies flying through the trees. Do you hear them whistling. I'm with you. I don't wanna start something with the game dude.
Oh yeah they constantly are whistling. And the evenings when they circle a couple times to come in and roost when they start dropping in they don't care about branches! They just bust right through them! I can't believe they don't break wings and stuff coming in! They are always perfectly paired also, its something to see!

·
Raiser of BOB White Quail
19,039 Posts
Oh yeah they constantly are whistling. And the evenings when they circle a couple times to come in and roost when they start dropping in they don't care about branches! They just bust right through them! I can't believe they don't break wings and stuff coming in! They are always perfectly paired also, its something to see!
If your into helping nature you should put up some nesting boxes. There alot of fun. I did it for many years. I got into it. Started banding the ducks the whole 9 yards.

·
Slicing and Dicing!
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your into helping nature you should put up some nesting boxes. There alot of fun. I did it for many years. I got into it. Started banding the ducks the whole 9 yards.
That'd be cool as soon as do the local hooligans would come jack them up. If it was my land I'd do it. But its a lease that most folks don't have any respect for the other hunters. I was leaving the lease last saturday night and there was already a big'ol train of 4wheelers and boom box's and strobe lights burning down the pipeline! Freaking ****'s me off to no end, lease mngt does nothing about it either. I definately will not be back next year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts