2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
The adverts looked interesting. I'll watch if the football is lousy. Like to see the Barretts reach out and touch some body.

·
Hunting the Sith...
6,021 Posts
If you haven't read the book, "Marine Sniper" is a really quick and interesting read about Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam and some of his more infamous kills.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Myth Busters did an actual test, same scope and yardage, of were Carlos Hathcock shot the enemy through his own scope and into his head. Myth Busters were succesful. I'm surprised History channel only tested at 30 yards and a newer scope.

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,196 Posts
Myth Busters did an actual test, same scope and yardage, of were Carlos Hathcock shot the enemy through his own scope and into his head. Myth Busters were succesful. I'm surprised History channel only tested at 30 yards and a newer scope.
As I remember, Mythbusters called that "busted" until the viewers raised heck about them using the wrong scope at the target: they were using a modern scope too... They used it in one of their "revisit" shows, and it went right through a 2-element scope of the "correct" vintage....

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
1,135 Posts
If you haven't read the book, "Marine Sniper" is a really quick and interesting read about Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam and some of his more infamous kills.
X3

Excellent book...just reading about the Elephant Valley is interesting enough in that book, but the entire story is outstanding!
A good companion book to this one is 'One-Shot, One-Kill'. It is a collection of short story's. And one of the story's is of the **** and the Russian sniper duel in Salingrad, I believe they made a movie out of this one tale called 'Enemy at the Gate'. The movie is pretty good, but the tale in the book is much better.

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,196 Posts
I for one wish they'd dispense with the "back in the US, we try to duplicate the shot". Useless, utterly useless: it's a confirmed kill, what's that prove except that you don't have enough material for a two hour show?

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I for one wish they'd dispense with the "back in the US, we try to duplicate the shot". Useless, utterly useless: it's a confirmed kill, what's that prove except that you don't have enough material for a two hour show?
It was just showing how difficult the shots were since there was no taped footage for us viewers to see...

Extremely impressive skills.... enjoyed the show. Its a topic that doesnt get much light shed on...

Where do you want to meet?

Somewhere where I can see you from a long g** **** way off....

·
Hunting the Sith...
6,021 Posts
Did anyone see the modern weapons when they were shooting that new sniper rifle out in Idaho and the "guest shooter" supposedly had an unconfirmed kill at some crazy distance.

·
Banned
2,395 Posts
Did anyone see the modern weapons when they were shooting that new sniper rifle out in Idaho and the "guest shooter" supposedly had an unconfirmed kill at some crazy distance.
.408 Chey Tac, the closest to a ballistically perfect round we have at this time.

Cheyenne Tactical claimed a Doppler radar-measured G1 ballistic coefficient (BC) for the Lost River Ballistic Technologies/Jamison International 419-grain (27.15 g) bullet of roughly 0.934, though this number has been disputed by a number of knowledgeable sources.

Extreme Firearms claimed the G1 BC of the same .408 Chey Tac projectile to average 0.945 to 2000 meters and it drops to the low 0.900s to 2800 meters.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts