2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I book this trip on the Rock Bottom out of Freeport with Capt. David. Pretty good trip. Everyone limited on snaps and we caught a bunch of chicken dolphin. My question is this. My buddy hooks up on a dang big snapper, takes maybe 15 minutes to get it to the boat. The line breaks off on the prop and the fish floats up to the surface. I haul it over the side on the other side of the boat from him by the tail. Who caught the fish?? We both ate it. The fish went 24 #. This is just a deal between me and him. I say I caught it, he says he did. What do all think.

·
Reel Gambler
3,748 Posts
He caught it...you landed it. You would have never had a shot at it if he hadn't hauled it to the top. Any one could have reached over the side and grabbed it.

I have had an odd experience like this once....a buddy and I where on a exotic hunt on Texas Parks & Wildlife's Mason Mountain. We had separated earlier that morning. I came upon a small group of Spanish Goats, one was huge black goat with a 44' tip to tip spread. Once the group spread out enough I took a shot at about 75 yards. The billy goat ran about 50 yards and piled up. I went over and checked him out and noticed he had a second wound low in the brisket about four inches below my entry hole.

I met up with my hunting buddy about 15 minutes later and ask him if had got anything (heard him shoot earlier) and he said he killed a big black billy goat about 15 minutes earlier. I thought he had seen me shoot the big goat so I gave him the "yeah right!"....he went on and on about really shooting this huge black billy goat. He then ask if I had shot any more (I had shot three Ibex the afternoon before), he was pretty upset when I told him I had shot a big black billy goat.

We did a half *** autopsy of the goat and he had nearly missed the goat low and I center punched him. I had shot him on the right side and he on the left, both quatering away. We had shot him at the same second. One of the guys near us said he heard an odd sounding shot about the time we shot the goat. I still let him take credit for the kill even though I had the better kill shot.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you talking about the goat or the snapper, cause I paid for the boat ride. The guy that caught it is a pretty good boy. He is a meat cutter at Central Market, so I get alot of beef for the pigs feet price. I'll see if I can get a pic of the fish up today.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
The goat. I am sure the goat cost alot more than the boat ride as well as any other exotic he might have shot. Your talking 10x the amount of a boat ride easy.

·
Reel Gambler
3,748 Posts
The hunt I went on only cost $100 for three days of hunting with no kill fees. It was one of the drawing hunt TP&W has every year. At the time I went on the hunt they were trying to remove all of the goats from Mason Mountain WMA.

Here is two of the Ibex I shot the first day.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think a goat hunt on Mason is 10x a boat ride that cost a G. Mason mountain is draw only anyways, isn't it?

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
That is one heck of a deal. ok it is about the same as a boat ride. :) I say he caught it and you landed it though. It was only fair to split it cause he would not have it if you didnt take the efford to grab it.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
oooh, that was BAD!

·
Banned
594 Posts
Also lost a big Snapper Almost

A similar thing happened to a customer of mine a couple of weeks ago about 40 nm off of Matagorda. We landed a nice Snap. About 18 lbs. I wanted to take a pic while the fish still looked good, not after 3-5 hours on ice. I had the fisherman stand up at the bow and hold the fish up. Right as I said not to high, and dont drop the fish, the fish squirmed and back into the water he went. The good news was the fishs swim bladder was distended, so the fish could not get back down and I was able to turn the boat around and gaff it. Moral of that story is.....hold them lower in the boat and dont let go!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts