2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out of Galveston this weekend and did alright. Saw a lot of bait and some nice fish....always exciting. Ended up with a good number of snapper (red, dogtooth, grey) and some spanish mack.
Weather was awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We actually shot the spanish mack....also shot a Kingfish. I have the 2Coolers to prove it! :)

The viz was decent. On one rig it was anywhere from 30 ft - 5 ft. About 3 miles NE of the first dive, it was crystal clear all the way to the bottom at 55 ft. Probably saw the biggest variety of fish I have even seen that shallow of water, that proximity to shore. (snapper, red fish, sheephead, bonita, spanish, kingfish, rays, ling, lookdowns, spadefish, trigger, jacks, and a couple of others I'm sure I'm missing) Really neat dive. I'll attach a picture of the rig.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
FYI - make sure to check the federal regs to make sure you can shoot SMACKS and Kingfish.

In state water, both are illegal to shoot.

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,283 Posts
Rendez Vu said:
Another picture of all the bait balls that surrounded the rig.
I have just a couriosity question since I dont dive.

How deep were the bait such as hardtails?

Thanks

Hog

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
Yes you can shoot them in fed. waters. You can shoot about anything in fed. waters. I am not sure why Texas only allow a few fish to be shot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The law has a flaw...jus like fishing lic. you dont have to have a lic. to fish in federal waters....but if you are checked by the warden in state waters it's up to them to decide wheather they want to issue a citation..if you have speared game fish of any kind in state waters ????? get to know your local wardens..their all good guys ; )

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeh, we actually got checked twice coming back in. The first was the normal, "Let me see your life jackets, registration, and any fish". The second guy was at the ramp waiting to see fish. Both were very cool, and both saw the mack, didn't say anything. As 4reel was saying, it is kind of a tricky deal when it comes down to loop holes in the rules about state and federal waters. ? ? I'm glad we didn't have any problems. The last thing I needed was another bill. I ended up losing two shafts that day, and my favorite dive knife! lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hog-
I didn't see any hardtails, but there were a lot of menhaden/pogies. They were in big groups from 5 - 25 ft. There were also groups all the way to the bottom at 55 ft. Very different. Funny thing is, most of the snapper we cut up, had crab in their stomachs ? ? Go figure...didn't see any of them! lol

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Dude. Nice fro...I mean fish. LOL! Looks like a good outing. Congrats. When is your ride suppposed to be finished?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dude, bad subject...but it's getting better. I finally picked it up from Freeport and got it over to some people who will get on it. It will be ready for the best month of the year....August! :)

·
Banned
798 Posts
Thanks for nothing.....

Too bad your boat is still not in the water....Kinda like the 2 motors you sold me with bad lower units....In fact stbd leg was cracked and it was covered up with EPOXY and painted, NOT REBUILT... Here is your ad in case you forgot what it said.

Twin, Counter Rotating 1996 Suziki EFI 225's
New Powerhead on port motor, STBD leg has been rebuilt.
Been in climate controlled storage for a year.
Came off a 31' Intrepid for pleasure and fishing.
All work has been performed by Busha's Boat Works in Bay City.
Great motors to repower an older boat 26 - 31 ft.
Will take $ 4,000 for the pair.
Includes gauges, helm, cables, and some other misc parts.
Feel free to email or call with any additional quesitons or pictures. Engines currently located in Seabrook.
Jasen

[email protected]
832 368 9555

Rendez Vu said:
Dude, bad subject...but it's getting better. I finally picked it up from Freeport and got it over to some people who will get on it. It will be ready for the best month of the year....August! :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Great fish and pics! I don't dive, but wish I did, so I cruise ya'lls forum and get jealous!

The snapper we cleaned last weekend (taken out of Port A on rod n reel) were full of crabs as well. I also thought that was weird. We caught them at night and saw quite a few 1-2" reddish brown crabs swimming around. Maybe a hot new snapper bait?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts