2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice!

Last night when I took my girlfriend home to her apartment, she went in the bathroom and found a snake. It was about 1 foot long and was a beige color with red/brown diamonds on its back. I caught it in a trashcan and threw it into a field behind her apartments.

About a hour later, I saw another snake, this time about 2 feet long crawling into her kitchen. I tried to catch it, but it got under the stove and I lost it. I pulled the stove and refrigerator away from the wall and shook everything around, but couldn't ever find it.

My girlfriend was trying to be really brave and was going to attempt to go to sleep anyway, but asked me to check her room for snakes. When I was checking the perimeter of the wall, I found a third snake, of the same description as the first two. I trapped him in a trashcan and transferred it to a cooking pot with a glass lid so I could see it better. It has a distinctly triangular head and diamonds all over its back. It shakes its tail like a rattlesnake, but I guess it must be too young to have rattles...it's about 12-14 inches long.

Any advice for getting snakes out of the house? After 3 in one night, we're afraid that there may be a few more of these boogers in the house that we don't know about...

·
Borders, language, culture
6,346 Posts
I would set a few mouse traps and see what turns up. The snakes are coming in there for a reason, maybe to catch mice.

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
Sounds like some young rattle snakes have hatched in the apartment. A few years ago we had rattle snakes hatch under our house and we were caught snakes all the time. But like Stuart said they are most likely there because there is a food source.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
Maybe time for a farrot<sp>. Check all your weather strips under front door. Has to be a entrance somewhere.

·
H3 Titanium the ultimate in rod design.
646 Posts
I have never seen a rattler that size without rattles.

Copperheads maybe ?

Ranger Bob

Team Ranger Bob proudly supports these fine sponsors.

·
Registered
319 Posts
FIRST- IF YOU AIN'T SURE - TREAT AS POISON AND HANDLE AS SUCH.
BUT DON"T KILL IT cause it sounds like you are describing a HOG-NOSE, some call them puff-adders. The red ones have beautiful markings. They will kinda swell up & flatten out when frightened, hence the puff adder name. Lots of different snakes will shake their tails like a rattler. Even seen garter snakes do it. Hogs are known for it. These are reactions to try to scare off threats. Will even roll-over and play dead. Funny thing is when they play dead and you turn them over they flip back to belly-up.
Actually make good pets and will be docile when fed and handled regularly. When son was a kid he had 3-4 at a time as pets.

·
Glub-Glub-Glub
856 Posts
Cats!!!!!!!!!!!

Get at least one cat for inside the house!
Get at least one cat for outside!
I would also buy a large box of MOTH BALLS!
If you see a snake go under the stove, put several MOTH BALLS under the stove or wherever.
The description sounds like a Copperhead to me.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Cats Cats Cats.............

get some quick. Hands down one of the best quick ways to get snakes and mice out. BTW, try and get some young cats, maybe one year old, they have the best energy and will attack almost everything.

Look around, (be careful) try and find out why the snakes are coming in there and then clean out stuff from floor ie: boxes. Remember snakes will get into dirty clothes, so when wash time comes, pick up an arm full of clothes and snakes nice and close to your or her face is a bad situation.

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
They are most likely hog-nosed. The one you lost crawled up into the stove. Turn it on (no need to crank it) and it'll come out.

Good job on not killing them....

Drew

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
hey B, when is your girlfriends birthday? or maybe an early christmas present......check out the "GOT MILK" baby in the classifieds on here.

trudy

·
Registered
640 Posts
Texas Ratsnake

They are probably texas rat snakes. They shake their tail like a rattlesnake. Rattlesnakes do not lay eggs. All pit vipers have live young. Actually most snakes will shake their tail when caught or cornered. Babies rattlers are born with a button on their tail and add a digit with each shedding. A 1 to 2 foot rattler would have many digits. they are under 10" when born

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah, get some cats.

Then get a big boa - they love them!
I'm w/Nick Danger, we've had lots of snakes but cats are only to feed the boa's when they get around 10' & up. Catch them in a live trap, stun them & watch snake go to town!

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
http://www.texassnakes.net/

Check out this link to find out what kind of snake it is. My guess would be a hognose from your description. There are also some tips to snake proofing your yard and house.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks NaClH2O

That link really helped. Apparently we have a NON-VENOMOUS Juvenile Texas Rat Snake on our hands. Plenty to scare us anyway, but we're glad to know it wasn't really dangerous. And glad that we didn't kill any of them since they're good snakes. The one we captured will be released back into the field behind the apartments...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Rat snakes

Rat snakes are often kept as pets. I wonder if one of the neighbors keeps snakes and some got out? Cool snakes! I have only seen a few in the wild. Never three in one day! Lucky you (sort of). My wife would have needed a defibrillator.

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,584 Posts
B,
i would take him but i dont have a set up and im not sticking him with the python. I would just let it go. they are good for pest control. Many farmers welcome these snakes. Do you know anyone with a barn.

Josh

1 - 20 of 44 Posts