2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is more troublesome - rattle snake or a copper head? I've seen some of both on the lease and was just wondering.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hate rattlesnakes...copperheads in my experiece are normally under something and not very visual. Rattlesnakes love to be seen. I hate all of them. Even little grass snakes scare the hell out of me.

·
Registered
640 Posts
There isn't one record of a fatal copperhead bite. In fact most will fully recover from a bite with no medical intervention within 12 hours. Diamondback rattlers nearly always rattle before biting. Neither one is troublesome, just worrisome. How many people do you know who have been biten? If you do, were they jacking around with the sanke? You are in more danger driving to your lease. If you store corn in sheds you probably have rats. Snakes will help with that.

Pope

·
Registered
624 Posts
My experience has been that copperheads are rarely aggressive if at all. We used to have them swim by us all the time in the rivers up in Pennsylvania. Rattlesnakes scare the bejeezus out of me. I hear 'em and I turn around with a quick time march.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
I hate rattlesnakes. They give me the eeby-geebies. Seldom see copperheads. All other snakes don't bother me at all...unless they suprise me. :eek: :mpd:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
No one has mentioned the snake that scares me the most. Cotton mouth are as poison as a rattler and more aggressive. They also can be found a long way from any water.
Between copperheads and rattlers, I'd rather deal with copperheads. Copperheads are less dangerous, because they don't have long enough fangs to inject as large a dose of venom.

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
I've only known one person that has gotten bit by a rattler. We worked together on a ranch when I was a kid...it was about 6 ft. and he grabbed it...it writhered out of his hand,,,(they are stronger than you might think)...and bit his right ring finger, his arm swole up the size of his leg and they had to amputate his finger.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Speaking of snake bites......

The guy that de-snaked my dog, Pat McHale, got hit about 2 months ago. It was the night b4 one of his de-snaking clinics, He had already de-fanged all the rattlers, and was going back through stapling their mouths shut when he got hit. The snake had no fangs, but broke the skin on his thumb. He eneded up in the hospital with streaks running up his arm, and a pretty swollen hand/wrist.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Some of you guys sound like my wife, snakes arn't bad. God gave them two defenses, flee or fight. they'll leave if they can, if they can't its b/c somebody is jacking w/ them, or they were surprised (got stepped on). just don't mess with them.

Snakes like most reptiles have Serotonin in their siliva (sp), that is what made his arm swell up.

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Copperheads are less venomous than Rattlers. If you weigh over 80 lbs. the copperhead venom can't hardly kill you, just make you sick. Rattler is a different story. It can bite you twice before you can pull your hand back.

The ranch in Junction is full of rattlers and rocks. Everywhere you step is a stupid rock. It hurts your feet theres so many rocks. Buddy of mine has a disabled leg. Limps around all over the rocks. Took his son up and they went out on the 4 wheeler. Buddy is walking along and they spot a 6 foot rattler over about 75 feet. Buddy picks up a rock and hurls it at the Rattler and hits him. what he didn't know is the Rattler was watching all of this. Soon as the rattler got hit by the rock he picked his head up a little and makes a full blast charge at my buddy from 75 feet away. My buddy with his bad leg starts scrambling backwards for the 4 wheeler and starts falling down on all the rocks. The snake is still coming full blast and I think we know what he had on his mind. Well my buddy gets up and jumps on top of the 4 wheeler just in time for the rattler to get up under the 4 wheeler. The rattler is looking up to see if he can snake his way up onto the 4 wheeler. My buddy's son walks up and gives the rattler a full 20 guage. Needless to say Pa was very grateful.
If you knew my buddy and knew the look on his face when he tells his story you'd have to LYAO when he tells this story. I can see him stumbling over those rocks with that snake coming for him.
When he leaves for the ranch now and calls to rub it in I always tell him don't be throwing no rocks at the rattlers. LMAO

Bigwater

·
Registered
218 Posts
Only one reason to kill a snake

And that's if the woman you generally sleep with sees it. Once she lays her eyes on the reptile, you'll get no peace until it's been whacked a couple times with a hoe or had it's head removed by a blast of number 7 1/2s or 8s. Doesn't make any difference what kind it is, if the lady sees it, it's history.

Bob

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bigwater,

That was a great story. No offense but when ya' hear about a one legged man hurling a rock at a ratter only to have it chase him from 75 feet away ... ya' just gotta check it out on Snopes.com. (I didn't see anything so I'll take it as the gospel.)

GunDoctor, I left CottenMouths out of the picture 'cause I know they are clearly the most aggressive. Interestingly enough I've never seen one at the lease, but I have seen plenty in my backyard. (I live in the sub-burbs of Dallas on Lake Lewisville.) Believe it or not I've even had a corral snake on a neighbours drive way.

I'm hyper sensitive to snakes as I grew up in Canada and very rarely saw one. There are some rattler, but very, very few of them.

The other day at our lease outside Graham, TX. I saw my first copper head and it was bigger than I thought they grew. I was just wondering what to watch for. It seems they are less aggressive than rattlers - and less venemous. None-thee-less I went to BassPro and bought myself a pair of snake boots. While I don't feel invincible, at least I'm not so concerned looking at the ground I ain't looking for game. (**** hard to get any dove if you are looking at your feet.)

Thanks for the input. I always enjoy hearing everyones stories.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Copper Head

Hey,

Just last week my neighbor, who has a 20 acres down the road from me drove up. In his truck, was the biggest Copper Head that I have ever seen.I had to get a tape and see just how long it was.
The snake was 31 inches long and was about 1 1/2'' to 2'' in dia.
The worse thing about the deal was his wife who never gose out in the woods with him was there,and he had just told her that he hadn't seen any snakes in along time .

·
bait chunker n fish yanker
71 Posts
Bigwater,
I have a similar story from a lease we used to have in Carriso Springs. While checking on our Feeders and blinds one trip, I spot a 7+ foot Rattler perched on top of an old barrrel about 20 yds from my blind. I was sure I did not want him around while I was trying to find my blind on a dark morning. So from about 20 ft away and accross a small gully, I draw my .45 and empty the clip into the snake that is coiled up about as high as a bucket and thicker than my arms at the time. That snake came barrelling accross the small gulley right at me with my then empty gun! i had to grab a forked stick and pin it's head down to the ground to keep it from coming up the gulley after me... After quite a bit of yelling for my buddies, one showed up with a machete and we took the snake's head off, just as it had coiled up around my stick and was close to breaking it with its squeeze..

Needless to say, I had night mares about that big ole rattler for a while after that. I often worry in the brush, as I have a partial hearing loss, and cannot hear them rattle right in front of me!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've killed a few rattlers and seen a few more, but seldom have I seen/heard them rattle. The copperheads I've seen were small, so they were real hard to detect. I don't mind any of them, so long as I know they are there.

There is a German Shorthair at my in-laws farm that I've seen kill two moccassins, one was a pretty thick 4 footer. She actually goes looking for them, she sticks her head in every hole and under every log around the ponds out there....pretty awesome.

Wildman can tell you about his old dog that was a snake killer!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Blue Heeler

Use to have a heeler named Fred that would grab a snake and shake and whip it so hard that the sucker would pretty much explode. Saw him take a four foot mocassin and blast him in about five pieces with one vicious shake. He usually got'em by the tail but made the mistake of grabbing a couple of copperheads by the head. He got bit in the mouth twice and swoll up like crazy. Two days later he was ready to get'em again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts