im looking at the

16" redheads zipper-

15" Rocky's zipper & laces-

17" Chippewa slip on-

Any of these good?

·
non-politically correct
7,304 Posts
Always wore Russell slip on snake boots. Years and years of great comfort & reliability.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I own a pair of Irish Setter Water and Snake Proof,insulated with side zipper. They are really nice boots and very warm since they're insulated, but the zipper area leaks a little. They're alright during quick/short dunking, but if you stand in water any length of time, they will leak a bit. To slow this down, I spray them with silicone around the zipper area.
Being insulated, they're too hot for warm days.
I would say, go with the Chippewa. And take a pair of thick socks when you try them on.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I just had my Justin's resoled after 8 years, I finally walked them bare.

They have been comfortable from the day I put them on my feet and with a Vibram sole, they are even safe for me to walk my boats and barges with. (I had to go witness some samples in Port Arthur this week, had them in the truck so wore them vs the wingtips I had on.)

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Go with 17 inches. You'll appreciate the extra two inches of protection. They really do come up higher than you'd think. My experience is either the zipper or the laces are fine for keeping out water. However, the laces can be a pain to lace up - especially in the dark in the morning. The zippers are that much easier. Slip ons are okay, if they are sized exactly right. I got a pair of Rocky 17 inch snake boots. They are lace up and very comfortable (but the laces are a pain.) I got a pair of the Red Head 16 inch zippers, they are not as comfortable as the Rocky's. I should also point out that neither are water proof (like they claim to be) but the RedHeads are worse. I've had wet feet from walking in wet grass in the morning. I'd go with the Rockies, but get the 17 inch.

·
Whatever floats your boat
218 Posts
I have had a pair of the Rockies for a few months (got them on sale at Bass Pro). I have to say that having both the zipper and laces is key to getting the right fit. Have had no leaking, other than the time I was working out in the pouring rain for a few hours and water seeped in thru the top. Only issue I have is keeping the zipper zipping smoothly (it tends to get caught), but that's probably my fault after tromping thru east and south Texas without cleaning them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts