2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my dogs, a Jack Russell, got bit by a snake and he is one sick little pup. The Vet says he will be fine in a few days but boy, he is dragging butt today. He got bit on the right side of the nose and has a pretty fat lip right now. I bet he won't mess with snakes again!

I grew up in Georgia and we had 26 various hunting dogs at any one time. I remember our young bird dogs seemed to all get bitten once but no more. It seems they learned pretty quickly after one time to leave them alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
I know...

I have a black chow /lab mix and she got sprayed by a skunk in the back yard 2yrs. ago and to this day she will run out back to go potty but won't stay out to play.

Stacy
 

·
Give it hell Remy!
Joined
·
42,851 Posts
StacyW said:
I have a black chow /lab mix and she got sprayed by a skunk in the back yard 2yrs. ago and to this day she will run out back to go potty but won't stay out to play.

Stacy
You are lucky. Our lab gets sprayed usually once or twice a year. He is also quite fond of chasing wasps and yelps when they get him but goes back for more every time. He is a glutton for punishment!

good luck to your pup JWL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,248 Posts
Yes my Lab Sara has a bad habit of biting at flies. Well once she got a bee and that was a sight. Her face all swollen up and looking like one of those wrinkle faced dogs. She was real funny but she still bites at the flying bugs. A little bynadryl helps.

Charlie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,605 Posts
Our labs must be littermates. Mine still hasn't figured out not to go through a barbed wire fence at full speed, its amazing to me his manhood is still intact.
Haute Pursuit said:
You are lucky. Our lab gets sprayed usually once or twice a year. He is also quite fond of chasing wasps and yelps when they get him but goes back for more every time. He is a glutton for punishment!

good luck to your pup JWL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
658 Posts
I hate to tell ya, but that probably won't be the last. My dad has a JR and he's been biten about 4 times now.

Not sure if it the breed, or Dad has a really Dumb Dog...LOL. Hope he recovers well....

JWL said:
One of my dogs, a Jack Russell, got bit by a snake and he is one sick little pup. The Vet says he will be fine in a few days but boy, he is dragging butt today. He got bit on the right side of the nose and has a pretty fat lip right now. I bet he won't mess with snakes again!

I grew up in Georgia and we had 26 various hunting dogs at any one time. I remember our young bird dogs seemed to all get bitten once but no more. It seems they learned pretty quickly after one time to leave them alone.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
15,099 Posts
My grand fathers quail dogs were bit several time over the years and always healed on their own just fine...
They would swell up on the muzzle and lay around a few days them back to normal.
I wonder why the snake venom never destroyed their tissue like it would us....?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,401 Posts
bradc said:
I hate to tell ya, but that probably won't be the last. My dad has a JR and he's been biten about 4 times now.

Not sure if it the breed, or Dad has a really Dumb Dog...LOL. Hope he recovers well....
I have a JR and the are very smart and determent. They will not give up.
 

·
Don't Tease The Dog !!!!!!
Joined
·
315 Posts
We used to have a huge black lab that was a snake killing machine. He was bitten at least twice a year for many years, he would swell up and get sick and lay around for a day or two, then back to normal. He would kill at least one cottonmouth a week in and around the rice fields.
 

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
Ive seen Numerous snake bites this year..
Thats why we carry the RedRock Rattle snake Vaccine..Ive had my Dog on it for 3 years, & Value the Extra protection it give my pooch.
Its Not Just for hunting Dogs.
Hope the pup has a speedy recovery.

Oxx..
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top