2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
fishes with calcutta
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest son called his mom this afternoon with a funny story. He works for a pipeline cleaning company and is in Louisiana chasing pipeline pigs. Some time this afternoon a large snake raised up from the grass and struck him just above the top of his boot. The thing was between 4 and 5 feet long with a thick body. I’m sure he had already been thinking cotton moth and has had a near miss with a rattle snake in West Texas. His mom ask him what he did and he said "I squealed like a little girl and took off running and kicking through the grass". The snake hung on to his pants for a bit so he could get a look at it. When he realized it was a chicken snake he calmed down just ever so slightly. I’d have given anything to see that one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ROTFLMAO............

Thanks for sharing that visual. He ain't so tuff as he thinks he is. But at least he's man enough to admit it.

·
Chest deep in the Blanco River
1,838 Posts
Shame it's not on video. Sounds like it woulda been an AFV winner.

·
Capt. Sunbird
360 Posts
Reminds me of "once upon a time" back in East Texas in the late 1950s. I had forgotten to gather the eggs from the hen house when doing my afternoon chores. My dad discovered this while our family was having supper (dinner). He informed me that I would go gather the eggs as soon as I left the table.

After I was excused from the table, I ran out grabbed a milk bucket, threw a handful of hay in the bottom, and started collecting the egs from the 20 or so laying boxes mounted in two rows on the wall of the hen house. I was about halfway down the row of boxes when I reached up above my head, grabbed a lump that felt like an egg, and tried to drop it into the bucket. What I had grabbed and tried to drop was the middle part of a four or five foot chicken snake that had swallowed the day's results of a dedicated hen's efforts.

What followed was similar to the description of what TomCat's son did. There was also a lot of squeeling which sounded like a stuck pig, but one thing that saved me from the "wrath of Dad" was the fact that I saved the eggs. Nary a one was broken. The snake was found where he tried to escape by crawling through a crack between two wall boards. His front half was outside the hen house and his back half was inside along with bulge of the egg which was still intact wedged against the board.

Growing up on an East Texas farm was interesting to say the least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts