2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you need to do to prep a whole wild hog for smoking? Or even a whole ham off of one? Are there any internal musk glands that need to be removed first?

Any recipes or cooking tips are welcome!

·
Team FISH BONZ
1,320 Posts
Inject the hind quarter like yo would a turkey, rub with your fav seasoning, let set overnight before puttin on pit.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
We use the Tony C's butter injection and season it with season salt, garlic powder, chili powder and put it on a hot pit for 90 minutes or so, then wrap it up in an aluminium pan for another 8 hrs or so with a can of beer.........we did that last saturday and it turned out great.

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
I can't remember the members handle, but search whizz bang plucker, this guy could tell you anything you need to know about whole roasting pigs. rs

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
It was Gator Gar with the chicken plucker that roasted the pigs, search some of his posts. rs

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would recommend trying clean off as many of those grey looking glands or it will ruin the whole thing and the smell lingers in the pit for a long time. (experience) Try to wrap a lean one in wrights bacon a peg with a skewer, that smoky fat leaching in that hog makes it delicious.
BB

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
I would recommend trying clean off as many of those grey looking glands or it will ruin the whole thing and the smell lingers in the pit for a long time. (experience) Try to wrap a lean one in wrights bacon a peg with a skewer, that smoky fat leaching in that hog makes it delicious.
BB
You scared to eat a ****, and giving advice on feral pigs, eat that ****. :p rs

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would recommend trying clean off as many of those grey looking glands or it will ruin the whole thing and the smell lingers in the pit for a long time. (experience)
That is one of the things I'm curious about. The glands on the shoulders are easy to remove. But if they are like a deer (I can't remember), they have a gland that is inside the hams near the arteries. Does that need to be removed, and if so what's the easiest way? I hate to go cutting into it.

·
God is great, beer is good...
507 Posts
I've never worried about removing glands, but I've never cooked a hog that is over 100 pounds either. If your hog is not a mature boar, I wouldn't worry about it. Do it as texas8point recommends. I smoke a ham very similar. It's like anything, you'll put your own seasonings on and experiment. Experience is always your best friend. Get to cookin'!

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
capn,, Starks Bros meat market on freeport street has a awesome pork rub they make that is a lil spicy called Buffalo rub they use on all their pork.. it's very good and once cooked not to hot for kids that I've ever heard. everyone likes the rub.. if you want to smoke some and use rub it's what I use. just a FYI and it close amigo.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Glands

BB
As Bird said, remove as many as you can. Most of them are in the neck, a few in the front shoulder area and if I recall, only a couple in the hind quarter/butt roast area. Most all the glands are just under the hide and you should be able to see them after skinning.

·
GOT WHEELS NOW
1,226 Posts
this is what I've done and it's verry good

BRINE FOR HAMS/PORK

FOR 10 LBS OF MEAT….
1- GAL. OF WATER
1- CUP PICKLING SALT
½- CUP BROWN SUGAR
1/3 CUP PRAGUE #1 CURE (MODERN CURE) … http://www.sausagesource.com/catalog/ssm-acj.html
1- TSP GROIUND CLOVES
1-TSP GARLIC POWDER

WHATEVER SEASONINGS YOU PREFER TO TASTE

BOIL ALL INGREDIANTS FOR 5 MINUTESTO DISOLVE ALL SEASONINGS AND SALTS AND SUGAR

LET IT COOL TO 40*]

I INJECTED THE MEAT WITH BRINE SOLUTION AS TO GET
THE CENTER NEXT TO BONE BRINNED GOOD AND TO REDUCE THE TIME NEEDED IN THE BRINE (highly recommend this)

PLACE MEAT IN POT
POUR BRINE OVER MEAT
MAKE SURE MEAT IS SUBMERGED FULLY IN BRINE
LET SIT IN BRINE FOR 4-7 DAYS TO TASTE (I like 5 days)
THE LONGER IN THE BRINE THE SALTIER THE TASTE

KEEP THE BRINE AND MEAT AT 40* TEMP!!!

TAKE MEAT OUT AND RINSE (THIS WILL REMOVE SOME OF THE SALTY TASTE)

PUT IN SMOKER AND SMOKE FOR HOWEVER MANY HOURS YOU LIKE…I LIKE HICKORY SMOKE SO I SMOKE FOR 6 HOURS….INJECT WITH CAJUN INJECTOR HONEY PRALINE.AND SPICE WITH SPICES IN THE KIT..OR WHATEVER YOUR FAVORITE FLAVOR IS.

COOK UNTILL DONE SO INTERNAL MEAT TEMP IS 150-160*
ENJOY!!

what it looks like

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Built a Cajun Microwave and did a whole hog about a month ago. Picking up another hog around 100lbs today to smoke this weekend. Gut, dehair, season with rub....ears and tail will crisp first check every hour or so when ears and tail crips cover with foil shiney side out. We had some Mexican seasoning in a bottle my brother in law wanted to try. We poured it inside the cavity and injected it. Belly was great. Hams took about 8-9 hours to cook.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts