2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Rod Man
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished SAB today and went reef hopping. Every reef we stopped at had trout in the 10 to 14" range. Each reef yielded ~ 25 small trout, probably caught ~ 70 small trout total. We did manage to string 3 keepers ~ 16", all on plastics and we were wading. My question is....Do you continue to reef hop till you find larger trout,..... where are the larger trout????? What do you guys do when all the trout are small.......

Thanks,

Pods

·
The Rod Man
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did not fish the shoreline or drains, we stayed on the reefs. So, larger trout don't frequent the reefs this time of year? I will be out next week and will try the drains, thanks for the tip.

'Pods

·
Dialed-In Adventures
465 Posts
I find solid trout in deeper water on mud and shell this time of year. 1/4 oz plum/chart. bouncing it off the bottom or do what **** chaser suggested and fish areas where the water warms up faster on cold winter days and where the marsh drains into the bays. Where you find mullet this time of year you will find the big girls lingering around.

·
The Rod Man
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did see several small compact schools of mullet but nothing was busting it on the reefs. Thanks for all the advice.... I will post up a report next week...
Pods

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
Try this...

...switch to a BIG broken back, Redfin, or Rogue, or a MirrOlure, MagDarter and fish off the edges where you were catching the small fish. Be prepared to make lots of cast before connecting. I have found that often really big trout will feed on the schoolies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts