2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the boat out in the morning after Thomas (texxan1) got off work to wade Carancahua reef and Confederate but didnt do much good, mostly small sharks and dinks. It wasnt satisfying enough so after Thomas got a nice long nap, we headed for the surf in the evening. The wind had come up and we were thinking we would have to fish SLP rather than the beachfront but we braved the chop down near the pass where we saw about a bazillion birds working close to shore.

Pogies galore running in there, millions of them. The water was gorgeous but pretty rough. We took countless waves over the head but it didnt matter because I landed a 22" trout basically on my first cast. After that it was smacks from 19 to 27", a few more trout, ladyfish (big ones), a bluefish or two, couple of gafftop. No jacks, no sharks...landed anyway. Saw a few in the water and Thomas had about a 3 or 4 footer follow in one of his mackerel. We fished 6:55 till nearly 9.

We had gone just to play around, brought piggies and a few mullet and no artificial this time. We were just going to throw back whatever we caught. Hadnt expected to get into the smacks like that. We didnt even have the cooler. I want to try smoking them in the smoker so we kept all the smacks that made it into our donets and that first trout. Threw em all in the bait bucket and bought ice on the way home.

Attachments

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Cool report, Ms A. Glad to see ya feeling better and back at 'em. Let us know how those smoked smacks turn out.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are lots of fun, real screamers. Texxan1 had more success landing his because he had heavier leader (30#), I just had my usual 15# on and got cut off by some of the bigger girls. The ones we caught were all females.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts