2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

SLP Flats 5-18-2022

5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  HoustonKid 
#1 · (Edited)
Wacked them again with croaker. Waded to the same spot as Tuesday around 11:00 am. First cast until around noon, fish or missed fish. Landed 4 trout up to 22". Then it slowed for a while. Got a hit here and there until around 12:45. At that time I hooked a big trout. She came to the top and tall walked and shook her head spitting the hook. My guess was in the 24"-26" range and very fat. Around 1:39 the birds started working all around me. I could never see what they were eating but the pelicans and gulls were getting busy. At this time I only had 4 croaker left after a mob of gaff tops moved in just before the birds. I then had something happen on all 4 croaker I have never had happen before. Bump bump just like a nice trout strike. Spool out some line as the fish ran with the golden bomb, then set the hook only to have the line go limp. Exactly the same on all four. My guess is some gaff top struck the barking monkey and was holding them by the head as they swam off. When I set the hook the hook was not in their mouth so it pulled off.
The sign is for grins. Last time I checked the streets are public streets and parking is allowed and as long as you are not crossing posted property, they cannot stop you from fishing. The sign is actually near a cart path on the east side and yes, they can say the cart path is posted property. It is however pointed toward the street so it is very visible as you drive by giving the impression the street is private property and posted.
I know before Galveston annexed the west end, the county enforced no parking there. Galveston annexed and said these are now city streets and you cannot ticket or tow as it stands.
Grille Textile Mesh Grey Fishing net

Sky Plant Motor vehicle Land lot Grass

Water Sky Fluid Fin Fisherman

Grey Fish Mesh Fin Marine biology

See less See more
#12 ·
Anyone willing to share the location of the flats? I have not fished SLP area in over 10 years because I always heard how dangerous it was. I have searched here and on the intrawebs but cannot find a specific location for the flats. I would like to try it in the next few weeks when I can finally get down to do some fishing. TIA

#17 ·
As stated the current there on the flats even a mile from the pass can start ripping like crazy. I’ve been a mile to the east with not much movement. Within minutes it got so strong the sand was washing away from under my feet. Fortunately I looked at the tides as always and knew a big tide movement was going to happen. I was only a short walk back to land and did not cross any deep guts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.