2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me, bro-in-law and his friend paddled around 3:30 out to Mud Cut and dropped some live skrimps down to the bottom. In under 5 secs, Brian (friend) had a huge jack on the line while i was reeling in my 18" jack (first ever). Needless to say, the papa jack snapped the line right away
anyway, we got at it again, and pulled in some mangrove snappers right up against the bank under the surface. Man those are some fiesty fish. We caught about eight and kept 6 for some lunch tomorrow. We caught many hardheads and ladyfish and also my bro-in-law pulled in a juvy cobia. Well thats not the coolest part yet. Our shrimp had died off and we were fishing for snapper again, and i hooked a small fish. Im thinking small snapper or pinfish. Well i pull it up and it turned out to be a small Gag grouper! man that was cool. well we paddled back in around 8:00. Not many fish, but some lunch atleast.
i will try to grab the grouper pics from my bro.

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,584 Posts
No reason to call B.S. young mangrove snapper and cobia do make their way in to the bays. Just hear the man out and let him post some pics. It might not have been a gag grouper but do you know for a fact that is was not. Maybe it was a missed ID. Levi has never posted a bs report in the past and i dont see any reason for him to start. Let him post the pics and since you are the expert comeback and tell us all what species it is.

After some research i have found that gag grouper do indeed use bays in the early on stages of life.

Josh

·
Registered
403 Posts
the mangrove snapper are in slp. been catching them for a couple weeks. on the gag grouper, why not. i've heard of crazier things

pic of baby gag grouper, is this what it looked like

aduls offshore over rocks and reefs: juveniles occur in seagrass beds inshore.

good catch

Justin

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mangrove Snapper

There's been quite a few reports lately of Mangrove Snapper being caught in the Galveston Bay complex- the Texas City Dike, for instance. I, myself haven't caught any, but a friend of mine, who used to fish Florida waters for Mangroves, has caught them here- and it surprised him, too.

Family Lutjanidae, SNAPPERS
Lutjanus griseus

Description: color dark brown or gray with reddish or orange spots in rows along the sides; dark horizontal band from snout through eye (young only); two conspicuous canine teeth at front of upper jaw; dorsal fins have dark or reddish borders; no dark spot on side underneath dorsal fin. Similar Fish: cubera snapper, L. cyanopterus.

Where found: juveniles INSHORE in tidal creeks, mangroves, and grass beds; adults generally NEARSHORE or OFFSHORE on coral or rocky reefs.

Size: offshore catches common 8 to 10 pounds.

*Florida Record: 16 lbs., 8 ozs.

Remarks: spawns June through August; feeds on crustaceans and small fish.

* The Florida records quoted are from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's printed publication, Fishing Lines and are not necessarily the most current ones. The records are provided as only as a benchmark.

Return to Index

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
allright, i will email my bro for the pics. um, the grouper perhaps might of been a black grouper. i will let you guys decide. heck, it might not even be a grouper, but i think it was.
and yeah that ling kinda surprised me too, and also the snapper did because they fight quite good for how small they are

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,584 Posts
Levi,

The snapper is not a real suprize, me and a buddy found a spot down near freeport where we caught some nice ones to 3 or 4 lbs. They put up one heck of a fight too. Have you cooked them yet, i think they taste more like trout then they do snapper. What ever the case they are good eating. Congrats on the catching.

Josh

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Last week we caught a black fish with white striping on it? It was about 14" long and some what resembled a mullet/shark? A buddy of mine caught a Mangrove Snapper on a super spook jr last week in the Laguna Madre when we were out fishing! I landed a horse mullet on a glo she dog...Actually blew up on it and was hooked in the mouth. Still wonder what the black and white fish was though? I think JimD got a picture of it...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
might of been a drum, but they dont like shark or whatnot.
were the stripes vert. or horizontal?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Ff

Tim,

That had to be a baby ling. Either that or a ramora. Did it have a sucker patch on the top of its head? If not, it was a ling.

Weird catches lately, huh. I've never had anything real strange at SLP, but I'm probably due.

How are the sharks biting lately? heheh LOL :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Horse mullet

FishFinder said:
Last week we caught a black fish with white striping on it? It was about 14" long and some what resembled a mullet/shark? A buddy of mine caught a Mangrove Snapper on a super spook jr last week in the Laguna Madre when we were out fishing! I landed a horse mullet on a glo she dog...Actually blew up on it and was hooked in the mouth. Still wonder what the black and white fish was though? I think JimD got a picture of it...
What is a horse mullet? :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fishfinder,
I thought that you were pulling my leg with all of the odd species of fish in your report. I hope that you were not offended by my remarks. I had some strange fishing action as well this past week. I fished the surf on Sunday near the pass and caught two mullet. One on topwater and one on plastic, Both hooked in the mouth.

Thanks for the education.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Mutton snapper

Doesn't supprise me, anythings possible in the pass. I've seen Kings and Tarpon caught in the pass. Has anyone tried Mutton Snapper. I catch these things all the time at the jetties and was wondering how they taste

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts