2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking about waking up at 2:30 am tomorrow night to start slow roasting my turkey in the oven. Anyone ever regularly try it? I was thinking 450 degrees for 20 minutes and then 200 for about 10 hours for a 13 pound turkey.

I have read all of the warnings about possible food poisoning but I am not buying it. can anyone attest to eating dangerous turkey due to low cooking temps???

Also, what cooking degree would you recommend?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Turkey jerky. I love turkey jerky tho, but usually on the smoker.

Maybe you should stick with the more traditional oven settings and time. Just a thought. My Betty Crocker reads 325 degs . 12 - 16 pounds 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours. Internal temp no matter what size, 185 degs.

sb:>

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
So I am thinking about waking up at 2:30 am tomorrow night to start slow roasting my turkey in the oven. Anyone ever regularly try it? I was thinking 450 degrees for 20 minutes and then 200 for about 10 hours for a 13 pound turkey.

I have read all of the warnings about possible food poisoning but I am not buying it. can anyone attest to eating dangerous turkey due to low cooking temps???

Also, what cooking degree would you recommend?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
don't kid yourself - eating bird that isn't properly cooked can definately be very dangerous, but it's not the temperature of oven that matters, it's the internal temperature of the meat that's important. you can cook your bird at any oven temperature you want as long as the internal temperature of your meat reaches the necessary temperature.

more often than not, uncooked birds are contaminated with salmonella, e. coli, or other dangerous bacteria that can make you extremely sick, so always cook your bird thoroughly and wash your hands with soap and water after handling raw poultry.

i don't particularly care for turkey and don't often cook it, but over thanksgiving i was watching alton brown's good eats show on the food network channel, and he had some very good ideas to ensure a completely browned and cooked, but still very moist bird for your holiday table.

alton brown knows what he's talking about when it comes to food and cooking, and he's entertaining to watch. i enjoy his show.

i looked up brown's recipe and this little two-part video of his technique for you if interested. good luck, and merry christmas.

Good Eats Roast Turkey Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Good Eats Roast Turkey Videos : Food Network

1 - 4 of 4 Posts