2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Do it. Do it now!
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from four days in the Bush. Hunting feeders was very slow. Corn on the ground all day long from the morning and evening feeds. Hope it picks up after Christmas.

·
Do it. Do it now!
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thinking the early December full moon kicked off the rut early. Maybe they will start again next week.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Frio County Report

Hunted Dilley hard from Wednesday til evening Saturday.

Rut has defenitely not started though bucks were on the move.

We rattled/grunted in several nice young bucks and two nice mature deer , but held off on the big boys because of poor shooting opportunities.

Deer did not come to corn as everything is still quite green down there.

All bucks were brought in by staying in the brush.No good deer coming to the feeders.

This weekend will be great.

BC

·
It ain't easy bein me.........
13,527 Posts
Just got back from a month in the south Texas brush.....Get away from the feeders, pick a nice thick area and corn the sendero. Hunker down for a few hours and then move to another area and repeat....all day long.....The deer are moving well in the cold mornings but less in the afternoons. At least that's what I've seen in Maverick and Zavala counties......some of the best deer I've seen have been in the middle of the day.....

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Same thing in southern Maverick County. Had 2 professional hunters down all week, and they saw very few deer. They stayed out all day and saw signs of early rut, but no hard running bucks.

I'm thinking this coming weekend after this next front could be excellent.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The rut in my area of LaSalle county was hot and heavy about two weeks ago. Now the bucks are running looking for does that haven't come into heat yet. I saw a lot of buck action this weekend.

·
Do it. Do it now!
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My place is bow's only, 800 acres, so hard to do the trail setup without good recon or it's a long, long day. It's the owners policy and I hunt for free so who's complaining plus it's is a really good bow hunting ranch. Very quiet and good neighbors with big ranches and little pressure.

I agree with them running hard two-three weeks ago and hoping this next cycle will start next week (fingers crossed). We have seen couple of HOSS bucks but not anywhere near 25 yards. In fact I saw a HOSS Saturday night at last light in the oat patch with 6 does but 150 yards away. At least we know he's hanging around the ranch. Leaving Sunday thru the next weekend for the last chance 2009 hunt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts