2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm pretty good at drinking beer!!
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any tips or success stories on skull mounts done at home. Tips? Suggestions? The kids are in private school just wondering if anybody has any secrets they would share, that could save the average Joe some money.:question:

·
Registered
94 Posts
taxidermy.net is a great website to learn how to do european mounts, etc. Click on forum, then skull and skeletons.

Here is a good step by step tutorial showing one method - http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,125076.0.html

FYI, for small skulls (bird, *****, opossums, etc) maceration is better than simmering. It can get kind of smelly but not as bad as shrimp left rotting for 3 days in the summer sun. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
I do the simmer for an hour or so and use a pressure washer to blow off all the meat. I don't skin it. You have to be careful with the pressure washer but it makes things alot easier.

·
Is it really Monday again?
1,120 Posts
I have done about twelve now. I skin the head, remove the bottom jaw and the eyes. I then boil the skull with a box of baking soda. The soda will help remove the flesh and gel that is stuck to the skull. I then use my pressure washer to finish it up. Be extra careful with the nose it gets soft after boiling. I use a three piece plack that I make myself out of rough cedar. I make the placks and then soak then in charcoal ashes and water to give them a rustic look.

·
Is it really Monday again?
1,120 Posts
I went back and looked at hte link FrauLine posted. Very good example. I really like the wood he used to mount it on. Very nice!

·
Proud Navy Father AND Grandfather
9,095 Posts
taxidermy.net is a great website to learn how to do european mounts, etc. Click on forum, then skull and skeletons.

Here is a good step by step tutorial showing one method - http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,125076.0.html

FYI, for small skulls (bird, *****, opossums, etc) maceration is better than simmering. It can get kind of smelly but not as bad as shrimp left rotting for 3 days in the summer sun. :D
I watched his video quite a while back, the guy crank's them out and FAST, i Don't like his mounting style of cutting the back of the skull out and placing a block in there then P A I N T I N G that part, and as far as simmering goes, look at where he bleached the horns from getting in a hurry and simmering to high! Sorry to be an arse, but when i use my bugs this doesn't happen! Simmer low heat and take your time and you will be fine keeping the water level under the pedicle..hard to do! Start on something NOT a possible trophy , there are a lot better methods than this guys set up , i like to treat my trophy like a TROPHY and make him and his coloring last a life time! Taxidermy . net offers any thing you need and any link you need, any way possible is done on there so use the heck out of the SEARCH!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts