2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trout to 8-pounds were caught and released for the second day in a row in very skinny water. This area has been productive for large trout, but not many numbers. This time of the year I've seen big fish congregated in skinny water before, but this year these girls are fat as footballs.

The lodge welcomed Oceaneering for the second day with a 4-boat trip, and the catches were down today compared to Friday. Capt. Jason Wagenfehr ended up with 18 trout and released another 15-20 trout. Capt. TJ group was looking for big girls and ended up releasing two solid trout to swim another day. Capt. Matt Moeller ended up with near 20 trout. While Capt. John Rachunek fished in the Port O' Connor region to land 10 fish for their efforts.

The water in the Seadrift region is rebounding slowly to gain more salt, I wouldn't be surprised to see some awesome catches this coming week from area shell in SAB. Don't forget to start looking at the back country for big trout and reds.

www.BayFlatsLodge.com
www.BayFlatsWaterfowl.com

Attachments

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Marc,

August is a month where we have a lot of slower trips if one is looking for numbers of fish, but many 7 to 8 lb. trout have been landed during August in very skinny water. Two years ago while wade fishing in Mesquite Bay with the "Jeff" group I sight casted to a trout roaming in extreme skinny water, after a short fight, the trout broke me off. It was 6 cast later, I landed an 8-pound trout. What prompted me to walk over to this skinny stuff, several small round slicks popped from the shore.

Now if one is to fish in the surf in August, I would say one could catch both numbers of trout and large size trout.

Chris

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
thanks capt, for the report,im real partial to the surf ,with not much past fishing in august, you made my day. see ya in august. later

·
Registered
206 Posts
San Antonio Bay W/BFL

What an awesome three days of fishing at Bay Flats Lodge. It just does not get much better then the past three days fishing with Capt TJ. Many thanks

·
Pathfinder 2200v / VMAX HPDI 200
737 Posts
I'm not sure if I were to go with you, Chris, if I would fish or just stay at the Lodge!!!!!

Nice pics!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I remember

Chris,

Still will never forget the explosion of the trout that broke you off as he blew up on the sand eel jr. We werent even close by but heard all hell break loose. And yes I thought you were crazy for fishing in 6 inches of water in August....What a trip!!!

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts