2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some advice on what kind of clothes, etc. I would need for a ski trip. I don't know a thing about it and am contemplating a weekend (or maybe longer.)

What do I need to stay warm? I may learn to snowboard or I may ride a snowmobile. What will I need? Any ideas on where to find discount stuff in Houston?

Thanks!

·
Shoalwater owner/ concrete guy
5,153 Posts
Academy has the best deals with out spending a fortune at specialty store.

You can get bibs, jacket and gloves for under $100.

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
The key to staying warm in snowy conditions is layers, not big and bulky. The key to staying warm while skiing is staying dry. Ski bibs, ski coat, thinsulate ski gloves, ski goggles, wool cap are all a MUST HAVE. For the lower body, jeans over longjohns, wool socks over cotton socks (or 2). Upper body maybe go with a long sleeve tshirt, turtleneck, and sweatshirt or sweater. Mix and match as needed. Academy has ski bibs and ski coats. Don't skimp on the gloves or you will be miserable. You can get fitted wool gloves to wear under the ski gloves if needed for extra warmth.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
the most important thing is to keep your hands, feet and head warm. 60% of all of your body heat lost is lost through your head, so keeping your head warm is extremely important.

keeping your hands and feet warm is just as important because if they don't stay warm, trust me, your outing will be a miserable one no matter how nice the snow, the weather, and the company is that day. so, invest in the best gloves and thermal socks you can afford.

also, invest in some quality insulated underwear, and make sure they don't fit skin-tight. you need a little space inside of your insulated undies so that your body heat can circulate inside of them.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Handwarmers and bodywarmers from Academy work great just open and shake for instant heat last all day. Great when wading in this cold weather.

·
Hold my beer.....
4,025 Posts
as others have said......keep hands and feet warm and dry! layers are a must! ive always worn a base layer (something like the hot chillys, you can get away with underarmour or nike type) and a good jacket and pants! if its really cold (single digits you may want more layers) imo....i would stay away from goose down if you are learning snowboarding because it can get wet and cold!

and if you try snowboarding and trying to teach yourself.....dont start on the bunny slope as its very hard to get going or learn how to turn! people watch and learn to turn both ways.....snowboarding can be hard to learn but awsome once you do

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
and if you try snowboarding and trying to teach yourself.....
if you've never been skiing or snowboarding before, i highly discourage you from trying to teach yourself and highly encourage you to take the beginner's lesson that is offered at virtually all major ski resorts.

taking the beginner's lesson from a professional at the resort before you get started can make a huge difference in the overall enjoyment of your trip. trying to teach yourself to ski or snowboard without first learning a few of the basics can be very frustrating, expensive, and maybe even dangerous.

trust me, take the beginner's lesson. you'll be glad you did.

·
Hunting the Sith...
6,022 Posts
Decent set of gloves where you still have mobility in your fingers.

Cushion sole socks OD green preferably, j/k but a solid set of socks and something that goes to your calf.

Your base layer will be your most important layer because you will be sweating you want something that will take that sweat off your body. So a good pair of thermals is a must, tops and bottoms.

Jacket wise I would suggest something that you can tighten at the waste, reason being if you take a bad spill snow can get up in your jacket and down in your bibs not to mention it helps keep you warm.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Jan, I'm no ski expert, but have been a few times to Breckinridge and dabbled in the snow boarding as well as snowmobiling so here is my input. Purchase a quality jacket with removable fleece liner, or similiar. Don't wear jeans, you want be happy trying to get up on a snowboard. Wear a quality thermal type underwear, don't go cheap here because it'll payoff in mobility. You want to be mobile while SB as well as skiing. You'll find, that you'll probably end up removing the liner because you'll be sweating. Snow mobiling, you'll probably want it in.
Good head, foot, and hand cold protection is a must, I had 2 pair of gloves. One for snowboarding, and then a pair that had grips for the snowmobile. those same gloves have also worked very well on running the bay on cold days here in Texas too. A good pair of insulated rubberized boots and wool socks are a must on a snowmobile. You never know when you'll be in the butt deep stuff.
The other thing to think about, all these things, you can find at most ski resort towns cheaper than you can buy at say Sun N Ski or other such places here. I bought all my gloves there, and at half the price. The same ski wear(Columbia) was about a 1/4 less. Plus, the selection is far better! Just a thought, if you do buy there....bring a bigger suitcase for the return.

Where are you planning on going by the way, and do take the snowboard lesson's, you want regret it!

·
Team Deloitte
250 Posts
I agree. Take a lesson. If you are still not comfortable, take another. If you can get a small group and have the money, get a private lesson with your group. They are expensive, but if you have 6 folks, its not much different and the instructor and work with whoever needs it. They dont have to treat everyone the same in a private lesson.

As far as clothes, they question is is this a one time deal or several. Academy for one time clothes is OK. If many, then the two brands you need are Under Armour and Spyder. Under Armour for Base layers and Spyder for bibs/pants and Jacket. From there you can get whatever ski bunny sweaters and hats look cool. I agree with good gloves and get good googles for the days it is not sunny. As for a hat, you will need it when you take off your helmet. YES WEAR A HELMET. Poor Nataha Richardson, my she rest in peace, did not. Also chapstick, face stick and anti-fog cloth for sun glasses and Googles.

Finally remember that Black Diamonds are NOT a beginng skier girls best friend.

Har

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Most people wear way too much when they ski for the first time. You hear it's 20 degrees outside, which sounds very cold, but it's actually perfect for skiing. You will be working pretty hard, particularly as a beginner, and you need light layers.

Here's what I wear for average days of about 20-25 degree high temps: synthetic long johns (like under armor) over synthetic ski pants or bibs. Get GoreTex or other breathable fabric is for the pants and the jacket. Zippers all the way up the side of the pants are great because they'll let you cool off your legs on warmer days.

For the torso, I wear a thin synthetic long sleeve base layer also, followed by a light fleece pullover (usually 100 or 200 weight fleece, like a thin sweater). Over that I wear an outer GoreTex shell jacket, meaning it has no liner or insulation at all. Keeping the jacket thin and light allows you to wear it no matter how warm it gets. You just adjust the number of layers underneath depending on the temp.

If you wear more than described above, you will feel hot, sweaty, and heavy all day, particularly when you're burning extra energy while learning. You will probably feel a bit cold when you first go outside and particularly on the first lift, but trust me on this, if you're not a bit cold on that first lift you will be too hot all day.

Now one of the most important pieces of other gear is a fleece "gator" which goes around your neck. You can pull it up over your face for cold mornings. I usually wear mine in the morning and then take it off in the afternoon or whenever it warms up a bit.

For socks, wear only one pair of THIN excellent quality ski socks. It's tempting to want thick, multiple layers down there, but it is a serious mistake to do so. You'll get wrinkles that cause pressure points with your boots. Get thin ski socks and boots that fit you snugly, like a firm handshake, and your feet will stay warm. Loose boots and heavy socks are a disaster for comfort and control.

There are lots of good gloves out there. I'd recommend some that have a wrist lanyard/loop so that if you take a bad fall the gloves don't go flying off to the next county.

I wear a helmet all the time now. Not just for safety, I actually think they're more comfortable than wearing hats. I always wear goggles too, and the helmet takes the pressure off the goggles strap.

Sun and Ski Sports and REI both have an excellent selection of ski clothing.

Now go have some fun!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Start with a good layer of silk long johns, and just layer off until comfortable. Academy has pants that have zipper breathers in the leg (they are nice to use to can cool you off if needed). Just make sure they cover mid waist to keep snow from falling when you take a spill, cuzz its going to happen. I normally just wear my newest duck hunting jacket that comes past the waist. That's your basic bundle, the rest should very with length of trip.
1-3 day trip
Gloves, 2 pair and 2 liners
Thermal socks 2-4 pair
1 jacket
1 paints / bib
4-5 day trip
Add one of everything; this should give items enough dry time to be used again!

·
Registered
92 Posts
All good advice above, and let me add a couple things.

-Don't wear anything cotton; either wear wool or synthetics. The locals here have a saying about it-cotton kills, because it gets wet, then makes you cold and keeps you cold. Under Armour and Patagonia make some great synthetic base layers that are not too expensive and will last forever.

-If skiing, GET SKI BOOT SOCKS. Many people think thick socks are better for warmth, but they make your feet uncomfortable. Get the thin wool or synthetic socks specifically made for ski boots, and don't wear these socks to the slopes. Carry them with you and change into them right before you put your ski boots on. Otherwise, your feet sweat in them, then you insert wet socks into ski boots and your feet never warm up.

-Take ski and snowboard boots inside at night and don't leave them in the car. Makes them much easier to put on and also much warmer for the day.

-For your hands consider mittens with liners instead of gloves. Mittens are much warmer.

Have a great time. We just returned from two epic days at Copper Mountain, and it was still snowing about .5 inch an hour when we left.

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
if you've never been skiing or snowboarding before, i highly discourage you from trying to teach yourself and highly encourage you to take the beginner's lesson that is offered at virtually all major ski resorts.

taking the beginner's lesson from a professional at the resort before you get started can make a huge difference in the overall enjoyment of your trip. trying to teach yourself to ski or snowboard without first learning a few of the basics can be very frustrating, expensive, and maybe even dangerous.

trust me, take the beginner's lesson. you'll be glad you did.
MC is dead on! Been skiing for years. Take lessons for a couple of days. Go with skis not snow boards. Unless you're quite the skateboarder.

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
i just returned from co skiing and whatnot, it is important you heed the following information if you have never been. drink lots of water, especially your children, so they don't get altitude sickness which is caused by the dryer air and lack of oxygen. adults have more water in their bodies in the form of fat.

for attire, you will need layers. you can purchase all of the clothing at academy, columbia outlet, or sun and ski sports (at katy mills mall). the way we layered was the following:
1. long johns (using "under armour" material long johns b/c that material breathes)
2. long sleeve t-shirt and sweater over the t-shirt (no jeans)
3. waterproof pants and jacket (these will have powder skirt inside of them that keeps the snow out. believe me, powder snow is VERY cold.
4. waterproof boots and gloves. (my wife said her feet froze in her tennis shoes and not in her boots).
5. hats (we bought these at academy. they had the breathable material ones for a good price. i outfit the whole family of 5 for $1000).

how many layers you will need depends on the individual. we left all the tags and kept up with receipts in case we didn't use some of the stuff. by the way, we used all the stuff. we were glad we didn't show up with sweatshirts and warm-ups, too. you need the waterproof stuff when you play in the snow. if you will just be out on the town for dinner or something, i think jeans and a hoody works, but that's me. my wife gets cold easy. where we were, it stayed below freezing. in fact, the last night it got down to -7 degrees. night before that, it snowed hard so we just stayed in.

lessons for skiing are great. why you ask? i found out that cross-country skiing sucks (if you are fit and love excercise, then it may be for you). i didn't like it, though. my wife bruised her leg, tail bone, and head in one lesson. i took my skis off and quit before injuries set in. we went downhill the next day and the lesson paid for itself. going downhill is fun, but stopping is way under rated. after you learn how to stop, its easy. my boys just fell to stop, but we adults have more pride and falling just doesn't look good. plus its hard to get up with skis on.

we may be willing to part with some of the snow stuff we purchased. i have 2 boys, ages 5 and 6 and an 11 yr old daughter. they will soon outgrow theirs so if you are interested, let me know. you can find some stuff on ebay. we bought all of ours new though as we didn't want to buy something that didn't fit. you will have lots of fun though. let me know if you need more tips regarding where we went and stuff.

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
forgot to add ski boot socks. VERY IMPORTANT! i purchased mine at the lodge where we rented from. educate yourself on how to use the powder skirts inside your ski jackets and pants. you don't want the snow to get past the waterproof part. they are very thin and came over the calf. you DON'T want those boots rubbing your leg. they kept the feet very warm.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts