2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY BOATRIGHT HAS A BENT SKEG GUARD AFTER IKE. ITS NOT BROKEN, JUST BENT! CAN I TAKE THE GUARD TO THE PROP GUY NEAR HOBBY AND GET THEM TO HEAT IT ANFD POUND IT OUT OR SHOULD I GO WITH A NEW GUARD?

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
dango,

you're probably going to need the skeg replaced, rather then just the skeg guard. I installed my own skeg guard on a broken skeg and ran it 5 years without a problem. However, when it came off, due to hitting a rock at Baffin Bay it broke the skeg all the way up at the lower unit housing, but not into the housing. I'm sure your skeg will need to be removed and a new one welded on. Also, someone with experience in welding them on the lower unit needs to do it, because if not done correctly they can blow out the lower unit seals, then you really have an expensive problem. It happened to me and my cost for the new seals and testing of the lower unit was about $700.00, not including the skeg replacement, about 4 years ago. If you have insurance you might want to make a claim in case of the worst case scenario occurring. Good luck.

·
archTech
8,618 Posts
dangolcharlie2 said:
MY BOATRIGHT HAS A BENT SKEG GUARD AFTER IKE. ITS NOT BROKEN, JUST BENT! CAN I TAKE THE GUARD TO THE PROP GUY NEAR HOBBY AND GET THEM TO HEAT IT ANFD POUND IT OUT OR SHOULD I GO WITH A NEW GUARD?
If it is not too bad, Mike can reshape it...otherwise he can cut the old one off and put another one on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts