2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a skeet thrower/machine from Academy. I don't know the difference between the $29.00 and $59.00 ones, so thought I'd ask for some advice. I'm open to suggestions and/or recomendations.
Also, if anyone has bought one and mounted on something post up some pics so I can get some ideas.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have one that has three legs that have to be pushed into the ground.
Gets kinda difficult when the ground is rocky but it doesn't go anywhere either.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Perhaps I put something together wrong (don't think so though) I have the $29 one and it won't throw the clays at all...

Earl

·
God is great, beer is good...
507 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a couple of these...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_31049_400004007_400000000_400004000_400-4-7

Make sure you get the single thrower and one person can throw two at a time with some practice if you get two of the single throwers. These are much more fun than a spring slinger. Faster to reload too. With some practice, the thrower can make the clays do some neat stuff. If you can find it, they sell them with an extended handle which is even better.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It releases, it swings, but the clay just drops right there...it just don't work. Earl

MarshJr. said:
What do you mean by this?

like it breaks them when it throws them or it dosnt even swing?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Will give that a try. Thanks. Earl

MarshJr. said:
if it isnt holding them till launched...use the gage (metal square) attached to the string to make sure that the cradle is the correct dim.

·
100% Texan till i die
505 Posts
I took one of the three legged type and welded it to a large peice of 1/4" plate.It stays down by the pond so we never move it around to much but it works great.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Pathfinder's on the money. The EZ thrower is much better than any of the spring thrower's I've had and you can also pick up an extension handle to mount to it at CC - kinda like a golf club shaft. Very easy to throw, with much better distance & velocity if desired.

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
That trius or whatever it's called is a lot better unit than the cheaper ones. I generally don't even bother with the stakes on the bottom of them: I just bolt it to a piece of 2x2 square tubing and stick it in the receiver hitch of a pickup. You get a significant bit of extra range on it if you've got it locked down to something solid. stomping it in the ground, tying it to a tire, etc, would all allow it to move enough to suck up some energy. I haven't seen one pick up a ford or chevy enough to lose energy, though. Maybe a dodge.

·
Wherever you are....BLOOM!
5,760 Posts
Try bolting it to a tire. We've got one...I don't know who bought it but it works well and easy to transport on the tire. We used it yesterday because I sure didn't see many birds.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Parden my ignorance, but how would I mount it onto a tire. I've heard of it being mounted on a tire and I have one at the house I can use; so any help or pics would be apprecaited!

Thanks,

·
Wherever you are....BLOOM!
5,760 Posts
The frame of the launcher sits flat on the tire and is bolted...bolt, nut, washers...to the sidewall of a tire.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts