2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Done Wit Dat
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pinnacle of ****@$$ engineering, the catfish flipper is an instrument that will stop you from ever having to touch a hardhead or even a gafftop ever again. I am down to one left in my tacklebox after a fishing buddy begged me for one yesterday. Last time I bought one it was $2.99. I'm sure they could be no more than $5 each. This isn't a business proposition, so I'll offer them to 2coolers at cost. If you want one or more, post up on this thread and before I come back to Texas, I'll buy as many as y'all order.

Like I said, it's not a business proposition, just a favor for friends, so I won't be shipping them. You'll have to take me fishing or come visit down in Angleton or meet me at a gathering. So if'n you wants one, post up on this thread. All the best, Coach

Reactions: Hooked Up

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I just make mine out of a old metal coat hanger. When they get too rusty to use I make another one.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
These are made of aluminum, maybe someone here could make a business of making them from Aluminum tubing? No pics, but if I get a chance I'll post one. It is made of round aluminum tubing bent into a handle and a hook. Let me see if I can get a pic for y'all. - Coach

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
You do have to be carefull with them I have seen someone flip a hardhead and when they did it stuck the top fin in there hand.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the pic. When I was a kid we used the coat hanger method, but they are not rigid enough. Since I began using these, I've never had a mis-hap. Any aluminum fabricators out there? If you could make these for around $2.99 each I think you could sell a mess of them. Instructions:

hold the flipper in your dominant hand and the leader in your other hand with the fish dangling well away from you and over the gunwale of the boat or the edge of the dock. Slide the small hook end around the hook and pull the leader taught. The fish should be dangling on a tight connection out in the middle of your body and between your hands, well away from you at a full arms length. Now flip him up and over, keeping a tight grip with each hand and giving it a pop with your wrist where you want him to release. He will fly off the hook. Makes fishing with bait much more enjoyable. It is much simpler just to watch someone do it and pick it up that way.

Here is the pic:

Attachments

·
Done Wit Dat
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure what exactly you mean JAW.

By the way, they work great for fresh water cats too and are a useful tool when dealing with sheepies and rays, though pliers do just as well for those.

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
The king of exotics would be WalkinJack! ROTF at JAW! :D

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Jack just bites them behind the head, rips the hook out, spits them back into the water and then scowls at them as they float off belly up while he rubs their slime on his head. I think it is some sort of fertility ritual for hair growth.

I have personally witnessed this several times. Surely you've seen it too, Rick. In fact, I think I caught you studying it very carefully one day.

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
Oh My Gosh! I got the visual! Including Rick studying the procedure intensely! Ha!

Pick me up off the floor! Laughing too hard!

Thanks, Farmer Jim!

Farmer Jim said:
Jack just bites them behind the head, rips the hook out, spits them back into the water and then scowls at them as they float off belly up while he rubs their slime on his head. I think it is some sort of fertility ritual for hair growth.

I have personally witnessed this several times. Surely you've seen it too, Rick. In fact, I think I caught you studying it very carefully one day.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Got tears in my eyes from laughing, Jim. :D

·
Done Wit Dat
7,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No worry about check yet!

I won't be back for a while and I'll keep this thread as an open order page until I hit the tackle shop just before I return. I'll use a credit card and get y'all to pay when you get them from me. So however many you want me to bring, post up on this thread and I'll keep a count. - Coach

·
Registered
826 Posts
I use hook-outs to do the same thing.
I didn't know there was a special "tool" for that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts