2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have real world gas mileage experience running a 4.8 in an extended cab? Just looking for some ballpark numbers. Towing ~5,000 lbs and just daily driving.

Looking at the trucks tonight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
go with the 5.3. You may pay a little more but if you plan on pulling 5K you will want it. My 99 with the 5.3 has 205k and still pulls and runs great.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jim_n said:
go with the 5.3. You may pay a little more but if you plan on pulling 5K you will want it. My 99 with the 5.3 has 205k and still pulls and runs great.
A 5.3 would be great, but I found a killer deal on a new 2006 4.8.

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
Keiffer said:
A 5.3 would be great, but I found a killer deal on a new 2006 4.8.
jim n is telling you straight.

4.8 liters is 292 cubic inches. 5.3 is 323 cubic inches. If you are going to regularly pull 5K, you need the bigger block.

Just for grins, what does the literature say on that drive train for total towing?

I just bought a Yukon with the 6.2 liter/6speed auto and will infrequently haul my Grady at approx 7K. I am going to bet the vehicle will not like it much....the good news is that I may not pull it anywhere more than two or three times a year.

If it won't do what you want it to do, the deal is not so great.

Bob

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
5K for that 4.8 is a little much I think. I had a Z71 with the 5.3 and 3.73's and I thought it pulled my 22ft cneter console (4K lbs I think) pretty good. Struggles/slowed down alot going up the hills, and sucked the gas. I got 9-10mpg pulling it 65, but would regularly see 55 up a moderate hill. Got a Duramax and never wold have imagined how much easier and pleasant it would be to tow with the DMax, couldn't imagine towing with the 4.8. Does the 4.8 have 3.43 gears? That would make it even worse.

·
Registered
121 Posts
2006 ext cab with 6 cylinder
Average 17-18.5 in city
Averaged 19.5 on recent trip to florida and back
With AC on full time

Wouldn't pull hardly anything with it though. I would think even the small 8 cylinder would burn more fuel to pull something like that.

Also - I think the 5.3 is flex fuel capable? is the 4.8 also? (my 4.3 is not)
May not make much of a difference today but could in a year or three.

·
ZIP ZIP ZIP
1,892 Posts
I have the 4.8 silverado ext cab 03
it does get about 17-20 without pulling anything
but when I pull the 20 ft gulfcoast it gets about 11 or so
I dont think I would tow 5,000 to far with it cause it dont have enough torque
I realy wish I would of gone with the 5.3 but its too late now
I do have a 98 4x4 with a 5.7 and that thing will pull anything

·
Registered
339 Posts
i'm usually getting 17mpg with my 06 4.8 crew cab, combination city/hwy.

4.8 = 285 hp and 295ft-lbs
5.3 = 295 hp and 335ft-lbs

·
Charter Member
5,922 Posts
Keiffer, does the truck you are looking at come with factory towing pkg that includes the Tow/Haul feature? Also What rear gear does it have?

Our Tahoe has it and it sure makes it easy to tow the Kenner. We have the 5.3 engine and 3.23 rear gear. Normal mileage is between 18-19. Not sure about towing mileage.
But, the Tow/Haul feature changes the shift points on the tranny so you stay in low gear longer before it shifts into second and that allows you to pull away from a red light with other traffic and reach normal driving speed quicker. Also, it appears to me the tranny shifts firmer. Other changes might be made by the computer but these two were the most obvious to me (being an old hot rodder at heart).

And then there is the heavy duty radiator and the oil cooler that is part of the trailering package. I just wanted to throw these things out for ya to think about also.
Good luck in your search.

Note: My 1998 Chevy has the 350 and 3.42 rear gear. At 70 mph the engine is turning a smidgeon over 2000 rpms (in overdrive). The Tahoe with the 5.3 engine and the 3.23 rear turns between 1700 - 1800 at 70 mph, thus a little better gas mileage.
Mike

529 Posts
Well I don't mean to brag, but I did a complete tune-up on my Pastor's 03 Suburban 5.3 about a week and a half ago. He and his family just returned from vacation and he calculated right at 20 mpg even with 3 kids, wife and luggage....not too shabby !!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MT Stringer said:
Keiffer, does the truck you are looking at come with factory towing pkg that includes the Tow/Haul feature? Also What rear gear does it have?

Mike
MT -
I just picked up the truck this afternoon.
Specs:

2006 Ext Cab Std Box 6.5
4.8 V8 w/ 3.23 gear ratio, A4
It is a stripped down work truck package, but it does have the tow/haul feature.
I doubt we'll even have anything to pull for a couple of years since the kid is little still. Plus his grandpa always has some sort of boat.

This is my first truck. I've always been a sports car driver. Family changes things! Anyone want to by a Z28 camaro??

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm loving this thing so far. I can't keep the boy(2yrs old) out of it. We had to drive around the block 6 times and I still had to literally pull him out of it screaming.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts