2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sabalo
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

I am new to this forum and happy find there are others who dream of this fish. I just got back from Florida where,in two days, I fed five tarpon, hooked four, and landed my first one. Anyway, I am amp'ed and want to catch more. I am trying to figure out where I can sight cast to tarpon in relatively shallow water here in Texas. I am looking for any help I can get--weather patterns, tides, currents, water clarity, spots, flies, techniques, etc., anything. Thanks in advance for your help. Tight lines!

·
The only way is all the way
396 Posts
I don't know about sight casting but I know people catch them anywhere from the Arroyo River to Port Mansfield and Padre Island Jetties. Had a friend hook three last weekend on flies. I know a guide on the island that really concentrates on tarpon with flies. If you want his info pm me.

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
You can sight cast them in Texas but our tarpon fishery is mostly offshore. Find them rolling in 15-50 ft. of water and you're in business.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Deputy U.S. Marshal said:
I don't know about sight casting but I know people catch them anywhere from the Arroyo River to Port Mansfield and Padre Island Jetties. Had a friend hook three last weekend on flies.
If conditions are right, and you have a good 4WD vehicle, a trip down Padre Island seashore from Corpus to the Mansfield Jetties might also provide some casting opportunities to tarpon...along with jacks, specks, reds and the other denizens of the surf.

·
Sabalo
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not asking anyone to give up there honey hole. I am just looking for some tips. Thanks in advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts