2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm glad tpwd is doing this. The little bay ive always fished was raked clean a few years ago. Galveston Matagorda an San Antonio bays

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm glad tpwd is doing this. The little bay ive always fished was raked clean a few years ago. Galveston Matagorda an San Antonio bays

So they closed it in Galveston, Matagorda, and S.A. Bays? Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I glanced at the zones for west Matagorda it's pretty much all closed

·
Waist deep dreamin
131 Posts
The oyster boats are everywhere in Rockport right now. Huge fleet on Carlos, jay bird and half moon yesterday. Coming in from a duck hunt I couldn’t even keep count.

·
One more cast....
11,617 Posts
These are the things that they need to put the big focus on. This is great. Now if we could look into commercial harvest and shrimping we might could build the fishery up big time.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
It only affects public areas, not leases. Most of you have little knowledge of how to keep oyster reefs healthy.

·
One more cast....
11,617 Posts
Commercial harvest of what? Shrimping? Tell me more oh wise one.

HAHA I knew Id stir the pot with that one. Ol wise one....We are not all as bright and intelligent as you Mr David sir. Educate me next time I am at the ramp. Well of the fishes whereabouts anyway. Beside if they stopped shrimping how would i buy bait..

·
One more cast....
11,617 Posts
It only affects public areas, not leases. Most of you have little knowledge of how to keep oyster reefs healthy.

You are right most of us have regular old jobs. What are your suggestions on this topic?

Im going out on a limb but I would prolly guess, unwisely of course, that clean healthy water/environment would be great for oysters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I once read in the Port Lavaca newspaper that the oystermen were self regulating and would show care for public waters. Unfortunately ,that’s a bunch of ****. The oyster boats discovered Powderhorn Lake a few years ago, and literally over fifty boats, from regular oyster boats to the African Queen, went over the same few acres again and again for a whole season. They destroyed the reefs, and TP&W closed the lake to oystering the next year, but a year too late. That lake bottom was literally raked over so many times that I doubt it will provide any significant oyster harvest for decades. I talked to a wildlife biologist and he indicated the damage could be permanent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Oyster Mafia is real, not different than the Snapper Mafia and they could care less about following the laws of man or nature.
Self regulation is not in their nature as they would harvest the last snapper or oyster in the quest for a $.
The Cameron Parish Oyster Mafia kingpin and his Velcro shoe followers will be in federal court this spring. Cameron company accused of illegally harvesting oysters from Calcasieu Lake

You Texans have been eating illegally caught Louisiana oysters for years since this has been going on for a long time.

I hope Leo has a cell mate that will work on that hair of his during his stay.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts