2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that it would be reasonable to assume that if a fishing boat is already obviously chumming up bft behind an anchored shrimp boat that no other boat would come screaming in and crowd the boat that is already fishing and drive the bft down.

Since the gulf is full of shrimpers now and there is plenty of room to hit an "open" shrimp boat, why not let the first boat there have their fun till they leave or motion you to join in????

my 2 cents.............................................

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I have seen as many as 10 boats behind a shrimper. I have personally been pushed out from behind a shrimper by a large sportfisher chartered out of Port-A. The worst offenders I know are the charter captains. You get no more free space than a Walmart parking lot.

·
Undocumented Users-pm+
660 Posts
I agree with Valkyrie, have had big sportfishers act like they own the Gulf. Worst case was a boat called Main Event, capt. suxd at fishing and piloting a large craft, backed down into our lines 30 miles out in the gulf, guess he couldn't find fish for his clients so he'd just potlick a couple. There IS enough room for us all out there.

·
Registered
529 Posts
it seems to me the idea is to try to chum the fish away from the shrimper. If you agree with this premise, then there is room for more than one boat per anchored shrimper- just keep your chum flowing, drift back away from the shrimper, drop your baits in and enjoy. If the bite cools off as you drop back away from it. cycle back in line.
i've done this effectively- sharing the shrimper more than once and it seems to work with two or three boats at a time. this assumes that both/all boats are playing nice of course!

·
Registered
960 Posts
shrimpers

Well Said
FISHINPOC said:
it seems to me the idea is to try to chum the fish away from the shrimper. If you agree with this premise, then there is room for more than one boat per anchored shrimper- just keep your chum flowing, drift back away from the shrimper, drop your baits in and enjoy. If the bite cools off as you drop back away from it. cycle back in line.
i've done this effectively- sharing the shrimper more than once and it seems to work with two or three boats at a time. this assumes that both/all boats are playing nice of course!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts