2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Back in the 70s I has a 20 ft shrimp trawl. It was a lot of fun, but it is lot of work. Back then the limit was 100 lbs a day. And several times I limited. But the limit now is 15 lbs per day. I sold my trawl when the limit was dropped. I would NOT buy and use one today.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I have not owned one, but the neighbors did when I was a teenager. I went a few times and, for me, it was worth it. A bunch of hard work that was at the same time a lot of fun & I got to take a bunch of shrimp home, but I was not burdened with any of the cost or risk

·
www.jacksride.org
5,233 Posts
I believe there are size limitations on the gear as well. and you make sure you know what areas may be closed to shrimping. Al

·
Registered
193 Posts
In the 70’s I had a 15’ try net that I pulled behind a 14’ Jon boat. In August, you could easily get 20 - 30 lbs of large white shrimp right off the beach front…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a couple of shrimp boats back in the 70’s and 80’s. I still pull a sportsman’s net and I enjoy it . I catch all the bait we ever need , and I have filled my freezer plus gave a bunch to my kids .
You can catch 15 lbs per person on the boat in the bay, and you can catch 100 lbs per day in the gulf .
I have been shrimping on the beach and have been catching big shrimp .
It doesn’t take long to pay for a net when your catching 8:00 a lb shrimp .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds interesting, I might give it a try. 1- where would I buy a trawl 2-What size trawl( own a 25' boat and a 15' scooter) 3- what depth of water or how far from shore would I use this when on the gulf side 4- Where to use on bayside(ICW or similar cuts or shallow flats)
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
It's a good way to bang up your boat, dragging those heavy net doors back on board.
Last time we tried it, (near the jetties) we got 100 pounds of foot-long hardhead catfish. Now that was some fun,
getting rid of them. The shrimp aren't always there. And never mind the stingrays and crabs.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
We did it when I was a kid. I wouldn't do it with a nice boat you really like. It's nasty and you are going to probably beat it up with the doors, tickler chain, etc. A 20' net isn't especially effective most of the time. If you really know what you are doing, know how to set up your gear, and when and where to be you could do well.

It's just too easy to go buy it off the boat for me. By the time you figure in your time, the fuel and wear and tear on your boat and figure out how much shrimp you really honestly need it just isn't worth the effort. Not when I can buy shrimp cheap right off the boat.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It's cheaper to buy fish than catch it also so this is for the sport, challenge, something to do other than baiting a hook.
Did it years ago in LA and it was fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve caught enough shrimp since July 15 Th to fill my freezer and give a bunch to my kids . I enjoy doing it . I could go buy them too, but I have fun catching them . We fish with croakers in the summer, and I can catch all the live shrimp and croakers that we need . I don’t enjoy paying 12 bucks a dozen for croakers .

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve had a 12’ trawl and a 16’ trawl I bought from Brunson net. Went to their website and both were delivered to my door ready to roll straight out the box. If your careful with the smaller rigs it won’t bang up your boat. I thought it was a blast and we caught plenty of shrimp and bait.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I picked up a sport net about 15 years ago and have used it less than a dozen times over the years. My experience is much different than those posted above. I've never caught more than a pint of shrimp along with lots of 'by catch'. To keep from damaging our boat I bought a large piece of outdoor carpet to cover the deck and hang over the side which has worked very well.
Ya'll have opened this can of worms so I'll be heading down to get a new license next week because my grandson brings this subject up periodically and we've never taken him out. Thanks a million......:)

·
Registered
471 Posts
I’ve had a few. Get a 20’. It’s a lot of fun. Especially if you have kids.

I am also in the market now that my boy is 5. Anyone that has one to sell can pm me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts