2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GUNRUNNERBOB
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due To Loss Of Marinias And Bait Shops I Need A Way To Consistantly Catch Shrimp /in Surf Or Back Bays I Want To Build A Trap Or Net [legal]!!!!!!!anyone Have Something I Can Make ?????willing To Pay For A Pattern ....i Have Tried Sienes /push Nets /cast Nets I Want A Trap That I Can Put Out In Numbers To Insure Bait

·
Registered
328 Posts
Traps are not a legal device for harvesting shrimp in Texas (see page 45 of Outdoor Annual). Cast nets (up to 14 ft in diameter), seines (no longer than 20 ft, mesh less than 1/2-inch square) and individual bait trawls (less than 20 ft between the doors and mesh cannot be smaller than 1-3/4 inches).

Lance Robinson
TPWD - Coastal Fisheries
Dickinson Marine Laboratory

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
You can look online at the small bait trawls that can be pulled behind a recreationals boat which are legal when used as specified with the TPWD regulations. The price is only a few hundred bucks and would not take long to recaputure the expense.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've seen 4ft drop nets at Academy, would this be legal to pull behind a boat? I'm not instrested in pulling a 20ft trawl, this seems like it would be way more work than just buying live shrimp.
Philip

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
Philip C said:
I've seen 4ft drop nets at Academy, would this be legal to pull behind a boat? I'm not instrested in pulling a 20ft trawl, this seems like it would be way more work than just buying live shrimp.
Philip
I am not being cynical about your want to catch your own bait..But, a Sportsman Trawl is a huge waste of time and money, unless you have somewhat of an idea how to operate one....

It is not a one man operation if you aren't rigged with a winch and A-Frame...

All it takes is one time that you hang up, lose a trawl board, tear your net...and your investment is nothing more than a decoration..

Unless you fish more than 60 days/year...it is better to just buy your bait...

And if you are checked by the Game Warden..and have 1 even slight infraction...it's gonna cost you alot more than buying shrimp..

Just give it a little thought if you are intent on trying to catch Shrimp, and Croaker's by trawl...

·
But, I live in Bayou Vista!
1,631 Posts
Also be very careful about where you catch your shrimp. The rules areas are pretty well defined in the TP&W regs. There are a lot of places that I see people catching shrimp, that are just not legal (like the sides of I-45 north of Tiki Island, just to name one).

This time of year the surf is a great place to throw a cast net and catch a lot of shrimp.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Texas Parks and Wildlife Code specifies what legal gears can be used. If it's not specifically listed then it is illegal. Such would be the case for the "4ft drop nets" (unless it's a cast net you're referring to).

The comments about the problems associated with the use of a sport trawl are valid. To operate effectively trawls should be tuned to the conditions they will be used in. It usually is not a one-person operation and if you add any type of mechanical assist (winch, blocks, etc.) you are required to install a Turtle Excluder Device (TED) in the net.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks for all your info, as of right now all I have access to is a small jon boat, so I will not be pulling a net. By the looks of it, will never plan on pulling a trawl, sounds like way more trouble than its worth. But I can throw a cast net. You mentioned throwing in the surf, how deep should I be? I've tried a couple times in the past but never had any luck, but then again I was only up to my knees or so.

·
Banned
960 Posts
There's also a limit on shrimp per person. i think it's either 1 or 2 quarts per person. Also be careful to not catch shrimp in estuaries such as Kemah/Clear Lake area. My best advice to you is to get to the bait camps early to check for shrimp before everyone else is out.

·
But, I live in Bayou Vista!
1,631 Posts
Shrimp in the surf

Early or late, close to the rock groins. Be mindful of the imits. I have seen days that you could catch a pint every throw.

Mike

·
15,098 Posts
Mike in Friendswood said:
Early or late, close to the rock groins. Be mindful of the imits. I have seen days that you could catch a pint every throw.

Mike
Unless the gulf season is open, its illegal to retain shrimp from the gulf.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts