2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along the lines of the shrimp boat etiquette thread and replies, could someone give me the process of trading beer for shrimp offshore and the going barter rate (beers per lbs of shrimp). Going out Satuday and wanted to plan ahead.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
a case of beer is $20

if you get more than 5# of shrimp, you got your money's worth. :D

trades vary from day to day, how far from port, how desperate the boat is for something...etc.

·
Registered
158 Posts
milk

I've seen fresh milk be worth more than beer to some boats.
Depends on the Capt and crew.........................
Out of state (Ala. Miss) especially.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
we traded toilet paper and paper towels one time - we were out at the Gardens, so I guess the need was urgent :D

also heard that Mary J can get shrimp for you too, but I don't recommend trying to do that.

·
Yep...
752 Posts
Whiskey, Fresh Fruit(no bananas), 5gal buckets of oil, and of course cash besides the usual case of beer are a few of the things we have traded shrimp for.

·
"He is the ONE"
566 Posts
Take if from a shimper....after spending a few weeks on the water, supplies start to run out. Beer, smokes, fresh fruits/veggies and everything that was mention on the thread could be a good trade. And yes the crew usully sleeps during the day, but there is usually one crew member awake. Just in case the tide changes and the anchor pulls loose.

·
Offshore
503 Posts
why...

I live in Rockport. There are at least 2 long range shrimpers sitting at berth still. Is it like this elsewhere? Anyone know why? I mean, if it is shrimping season, aren't those folks losing money not shrimping right now?

·
Banned
726 Posts
We just...

We just traded for about 150 lbs and chum last week. But the Capt. knew this crew and had already talked on the radio when we went up to them. Water and cokes were in more demand than beer, but we got alot more for our trade than they did!

Good luck!

BB

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
One thing you gotta remember, 95% of the captains now and crew do not own the boat, cheaper to hire a crew than run it yourself, imports have driven domestic shrimp prices to an all time low, 9/12's head on are bringing about 1.35, 16/20 tails about 2.85, these are wholesale prices at the "fishhouse", one bag of tails or 5 bags of tails, the boat ain't gonna miss it, bargain hard, all the groceries are frozen down in the whole, the only thing really missing is beer, whiskey, and cigs.. after the opening most freezer boats will be out for about 45 days, the gulf opened the other night (15th), be awhile before they come in, cheap dvds, movies are also good trading stuff..

·
Bluewater Bum
1,075 Posts
they like the cokes just as much as beer. Take cokes,beer,whiskey,anything you would want .

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
1/5 th whiskey in plastic bottle
fried chicken
cigs.
regular budweiser.
a watermelon

ck out your traded shrimp before giving up the booty...if they are real "sandy" feeling , pass..............they have been improperly stored with preservative.

i have a freezer full of them that are now just bait...................

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Coastal- the sandy feeling is too much syrup in the brine, or the wrong type of salt was added to the brine, there's an exact science to mixing it correctly, but too many times the deckhands just don't care, or they've deckloaded the boat and don't have time, 2 yrs. ago the Ag Dept. made a video on how to correctly brine shrimp, they did a good job, but like I said you gotta care first.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I had a captain tell me that a big ol' juicy crack rock would score tons of shrimp.

I told him, uh, good luck with that.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Bee Gee, I worked on a boat during the summers of my youth and catching 10 to 30 boxes (110 lbs) of shrimp a night was the norm. Now that is much lower. The price for shrimp has not risen all that much, but diesel and other groceries have. Many boats stay in port to save money. The largest operation in Conn Brown harbor( Gulf KIng) moved to South America where fuel costs were less.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
we actually had shrimpers tell us they didn't want anymore beer. So we traded them a case of water and a case of gatoraide for about 25 lbs or shrimp. I guess they were trying to recover from all the beer trading they did earlier in the week!

I agree with speckle catcher, if you get shrimp (fresh out of the water) for less than 5 bucks a pound, you're doing good.

·
Yep...
752 Posts
BeeGee said:
I live in Rockport. There are at least 2 long range shrimpers sitting at berth still. Is it like this elsewhere? Anyone know why? I mean, if it is shrimping season, aren't those folks losing money not shrimping right now?
Cost of Deisel = price of gold(approx $2.40gal)
Wholesale price of shrimp at Dock = Price of dirt(approx $1.90 fo 9/12count)

NO real profit margin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts