2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
88 Ag
6,217 Posts
you would catch fish but I'd bet my life in that clear water it would never make it close to getting down to a snapper. In fact, that shrimp would be so "skeered" it would probably jump back in your boat, hook line and sinker!!

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
Your on the right track, we use shrimp and pieces of sqid for the b-liners, mangrove, and dogs. not on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That shrimp would see something he aint ever seen before !! , with cost of other baits next trip we will take about 5 lbs or so with us , for the bee`s,,,, its a stormy afternoon out there today !

·
Just one More
1,742 Posts
In the winter shimp can do very well. When snaps move up in State waters the change feeding habits and I have caught some nice snaps during the winter months on shrimp.

·
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '92
1991 ShallowSport Sport 20
1,042 Posts
I know that Buda Blue Water Boy has had the same result during the winter months in state waters.
Captfry said:
In the winter shimp can do very well. When snaps move up in State waters the change feeding habits and I have caught some nice snaps during the winter months on shrimp.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Why use shrimp when sardines, herring, squid or mullet will catch all the snaps you are allowed? Grill the shrimp and serve it with the snapper. I don't use shrimp for bait for any kind of fishing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
yes

As mentioned above, I went to the inshore rigs out of Packery this past winter, and the only thing the snapper would hit were shrimp. I used squid, live pins, and cut bait, and they would not touch them, even after leaving them down there for over an hour- but a live shrimp, you could not even count to 5 before you had a snapper on. And that small bait - small fish saying, not true, we caught some 30 inch snapper with shrimp as small as your pinky. But it is only in the winter time, not much action with shrimp in the summer months!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Get big ones

Shrimp work well, if you can get the snapper away from the bottom. Next time you box a few, cut open their stomachs when you're cleaning them. If they've eaten, I'll bet you'll find big gulf shrimp about 80% of the time.

My $0.02

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Shrimp are a delicacy to all fish. Next time you find a Ling that wont bite throw him a shrimp and see what happens.

Charlie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts