2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
circle hooks rock!!
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never had any trouble with any of the shrimp boats until this week at P.O.C. when we were ANCHORED up about 30 yards from the tip of the inside jetty(Way far from the chanel). I have heard horror stories about them and even heard of guys pointing a gun in their direction so they would go off to one side or the other.. Well we were anchored up, and it was plain as day to see our rope coming off of the bow and this HUGE ***** shrimper was coming right at us.. I waved my hands when they got close enough to make my heart rate go up to about 150 or so. They had the nerve to come right up on us(they finally stopped) and blow their horn and wave us to move off anchor... What a jerk. I should have got the name of the boat but I don't think it would have done any good. I know a fishing guide down there that has almost got his K top ripped off his ProCat while anchored up. He said the boom came right over his boat. He actually shot a few 357 rounds into the out riggers of the same boat at a later date and he said he has not had any problems since..

What can a person do about something like this. We actually broke from anchor because my buddy was pretty ******(and scared) because his 2 kids were in the boat..Can you report them to anyone for being dangerous or anything?? A fishing guide was near by and we motored over and asked him if that was a normal thing around there and he said that has been an ongoing problem with some of the shrimp boats around there for many years. The boat was piloted by non-american folks.. Not that that matters but they weren't even speaking english to us, they were yelling in vietnemese(spelling??) or something..What a scary deal.. Thanks for any relpies or info..

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you could get the name I would report them to the Coast Guard. If that doesn't work you may have to resort to your buddy's plan (.357)

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
Be careful they will make a swing at you, some will. Also those guys have auto pilot and mr auto cant see you. Watch out cause they don't want your tacle in the nets.

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,202 Posts
bro,glad you moved for the sake of the kids, but if it happens to me,i guess my boat will be sitting on the bottom. i would have never moved if i had anchor down. shimp boats don't own the GOM! i would try too get the name of the boat and pics if this ever happens again and call TPWD and CG! i would walk some of the local docks and see if i could find the boat and talk too the owner. i he don't understand english, he will understand the 1 finger english!! and he will understand a call too tpwd. you are alot nicer then me. guns don't do no good for something like this. that will just get you in trouble!

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,980 Posts
Man, that's crazy but not surprising. A few years back in galveston bay, we were anchored up and noticed a shrimp boat coming straight for us. He kept getting closer and closer, so we started waving our arms for him to go around us. He still kept coming right at us, so I was prepared to ditch the anchor rope on our floating buoy in case he got too close. We realized he was going to pass us by about 25', so we never left the spot and waited for him to pass. As soon as the cockpit was in view we are ready to yell and nobody is driving! It goes by a little more and there is a single guy in the back culling the catch. He was all by himself and had the boat in gear not even paying attention to where he was going. We yelled a few choice words and all he could say was "so sorry" in some broken english. I wouldn't recommend the .357 thing. I guarantee they are packing something bigger!

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
a buddy of mine was coming back into the intercoastal on night and didn't realize a shrimper had his booms out in the middle of hte channel... right in front of marker 37 in corpus. To make a long story short... my buddy didn't see the booms, and by the time he did, he did quite a bit of damage to his center console. It was probably my friends fault...but still....what would the shrimper had done if a large barge was coming through?

·
circle hooks rock!!
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. The boat wasn't pulling any nets and was headed out on Monday the first day for their season. I thought about the auto pilot but we could see the boat making a curve in it's path and the turned right towards us. He had plenty of room to go on the outside of us but I gues he wanted that 30' extra to cut the corner and save fuel.. I should have got the name but like I said, I had other things on my mind..Thanks again

·
Got Wasabi?
2,635 Posts
Shoot a video or take plenty of pictures and make sure the name or registration number are visible and send them to the local TV Station or newspaper after contacting CG AND TPWD.

·
Registered
319 Posts
They did that to me several years ago in that same spot. Big #$#% blue boat with giant chains dragging in the water. I tried pulling anchor but didn't make it, he drug those chains right over my boat tearing the **** out of my bowrail and filling the boat with mud. I was a newbie at the time and wasn't sure if i was at fault, but now years later i know i was in the right and he was an %$hole.

·
Registered
690 Posts
"Not that that matters but they weren't even speaking english to us, they were yelling in vietnemese(spelling??) or something..What a scary deal.."

Maybe a new "captain" on the boat - hadn't figured out how to turn off the autopilot yet cause the controls are labeled in English???

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was at a rig, tied up and fishing for some time. This shrimp boat came up and wanting to tie up to the same rig and there wasn't room. Three other rigs within a couple of miles of us, but they wanted to tie up to the one we was at. We kept telling them to move and yelling at them because there rigging and nets was all over my boat. We started cutting there nets and ropes and they finally moved to the next rig. I guess they didn't understand english either, but I guess they figure out that we wasn't happy when we started cutting there ropes. I had my camera but didn't think about taking any picture, just worrying about saving my boat. But I did get the name of the boat and called the Coast Guard when I got back and they were saying that they had problems with this boat before and they would go talk to them again. There are some idiots out there.

·
circle hooks rock!!
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
confused said:
They did that to me several years ago in that same spot. Big #$#% blue boat with giant chains dragging in the water. I tried pulling anchor but didn't make it, he drug those chains right over my boat tearing the **** out of my bowrail and filling the boat with mud. I was a newbie at the time and wasn't sure if i was at fault, but now years later i know i was in the right and he was an %$hole.
This was a big ***** blue boat as well. with White lettering for the name.. Who knows if it was the same boat or not.. I did see a few blue boats that day..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yup, the problem is that the commercial vessels will say that they were flying the day-shape for constrained with ability to maneuver (fishing gear) and claim right of way. It is total BS if you were anchored, but they will ask if you showed a day shape (nobody does) and then you get a taste of maritime court and lawyer's fees. Bummer

·
circle hooks rock!!
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tbuckshot said:
Yup, the problem is that the commercial vessels will say that they were flying the day-shape for constrained with ability to maneuver (fishing gear) and claim right of way. It is total BS if you were anchored, but they will ask if you showed a day shape (nobody does) and then you get a taste of maritime court and lawyer's fees. Bummer
what is day-shape .. I guess it is a good thing to have a camera on your boat. I bet if thry see you recording they will turn off pretty quick..

·
IF YOU CANT HOOKEM GIGEM
23 Posts
Shrimp Boats Advice

For Everyone:

Shrimpers Are On The Water For One Thing And That Is To Get Out There And Catch Shrimp. A Lot Of Them Fail To Obey Navigation Laws Entering And Exiting Channels. If This Ever Happens To You The Best Thing To Do Is Contact Your Local Coast Guard Station. After That Contact Texas Parks And Wildlife. If This Gets You Now Where Get On The Internet And Look For The Coast Guard Sector That Commands Your Area. Report It To Them. The Best Thing To Do Is Get Out Of There Way And Take All Information About The Boat. Name Of Vessel, Color And All Shrimp Boats Are Required To Have An Imo Number Painted On There Vessel. Record All Of This Info And Pass It On. If A Shrimper Causes Danger To Your Boat You Need To Report This To The Coast Guard Immediatly On Ch. 16. This Is A Hazard To Navigation And They Will Be Fined.

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
If you were anchored off the tip of the north inside jetty, there is a deepwater channel there to get into the bay on the inside of Bird island. Most deep draft shrimpers take that route versus going all the way around the island. If you move little bit north of your spot, it gets pretty shallow again, so they are constrained to that channel, or go another 3-4 miles around the island. Sounds like you were right in that channel. If you spend anytime anchored nearby, and watch the traffic when the shrimpers are moving, you'll see that 99% of them take that exact same route, and they don't have much room for error. A chart with good contours will show you that channel.

We were tied off to a standpipe offshore last summer and almost got rundown by a shrimper with all hands on deck culling and on autopilot. We had to cut loose, start the motor and move. The shrimper then proceeded to hit the standpipe with one of his outriggers. They kept going, we called the coast gaurd and reported them, and their numbers. Not sure what happened after that as we moved to a different spot.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I was fishing with George Knighten a few years ago anchored on the spoil banks off the ship channel catching good size trout. We were fishing in a tournament and it took us 5 times to get the anchor set because it was a little rough that day. There were 10-15 other boats in the area also. We look up and there is a shrimp boat coming straight at us. George starts waving and yelling to no avail. He digs out his flare gun and just before he pulls to trigger to shoot a warning shot over the bow, the shrimp boat turns to avoid us.

·
circle hooks rock!!
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pocketfisherman said:
If you were anchored off the tip of the north inside jetty, there is a deepwater channel there to get into the bay on the inside of Bird island. Most deep draft shrimpers take that route versus going all the way around the island. If you move little bit north of your spot, it gets pretty shallow again, so they are constrained to that channel, or go another 3-4 miles around the island. Sounds like you were right in that channel. If you spend anytime anchored nearby, and watch the traffic when the shrimpers are moving, you'll see that 99% of them take that exact same route, and they don't have much room for error. A chart with good contours will show you that channel.

We were tied off to a standpipe offshore last summer and almost got rundown by a shrimper with all hands on deck culling and on autopilot. We had to cut loose, start the motor and move. The shrimper then proceeded to hit the standpipe with one of his outriggers. They kept going, we called the coast gaurd and reported them, and their numbers. Not sure what happened after that as we moved to a different spot.
We were in about 24' of water and within casting distance of the jetty.Once we pulled up anchor he went on his path and his port side outriggers were over the tip of the jetty. That seems a little close though your right about the 35' deep edge there that kind of follows the shore back towards bird island..

Thanks for all you folks that chimed in. I am more educated now and will still stay out of their way but I will make sure to tell the appropriate people next time..Adios'

1 - 20 of 21 Posts