2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own a boat so I fish mainly party boats and charters. I had a bass boat in college and man were those the days.

Question? How in the heck could I afford a bass boat then and can't afford an offshore boat now???? ;-) I guess it's called marriage, 2 kids and a mortgage!

I keep promising my kids that one day we will own an offshore boat. However, where I live (Brenham, TX) I think that I'll keep doing charter and party boats. I have always heard that women and boats are cheaper to rent than to own ;-) Plus, when I leave the dock I leave it all behind me. I walk away from it.

No boat to clean up and tow back home. No repairs to make. No electronics to replace. No GPS maps or hot maps to buy. No monthly boat note. No boat insurance to pay for. No cracked transom. No leaks to deal with. No barnacles to have scraped off while my boat is in dry storage. No painting. No currosion to deal with. No bilge pump to replace. No rotted stringer to deal with. No dead batteries or batteries to replace. No power packs to replace. No fouled plugs. No boat mechanics to pay. No boat slip or marina fees. No fuel to buy @ $1.90 a gallon. No tires (load range E) to replace. No spun or lost props. No lower unit lost to a log while rounding the jetties. No rods being broken while going under a 16 foot underpass while the fishing rods were in the rocket launchers. No $2,800.00 to spend on T-Tops or $1,800 to spend on a leaning post. No spending thousands of dollars on outriggers. No dealing with winterizing a boat. No carburator or fuel injection problems. No trailer bearings to replace. No breaking down on Loop 610 with a flat tire ;-) No rapid depreciation of my investment. I just pay my 200.00 and go fishing!

BTW, I commend all of you boat owners out there!!! You deserve a gold star and a little more $$$$ from all of your new found buddies that go fishing with you.

Hope the weather is nice on Sat & Sun.

Good luck to all you guys that fish this weekend.

Lumberjack93

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have never owned an offshore rig, but I used to run my grandfather's. The one thing I miss more than anything is being responsible for putting the boat on the fish. Reeling them in is fun, but finding them is just as satisfying. I can empathize with you in regards to having a mortgage and family. I can't afford to buy a offshore boat now, but I am working on it. I finish grad school in a year and a half and hope to buy one a couple of years later. By the way, what years were you at SFA. I was there for a short time and transfered to UNT. I did however meet my wife in Nacogdoches. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Pope

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I like having the power to fish whereever I want to. Forunately I dont have a boat note due to buying it outright in the beginning. Oter than insurance if you keep your boat up it does not cost that much to maintain. new trailer tires every couple of years and bearings $400. registration yearly(every two for boat) for both is around $150 give or take. Yearly tune up around $125. I change my lower unit oil every 2-3 trips at $10 per change. I take about 12-15 trips a year. Generally I spend $50-60 per trip when I have ppl spliting costs, which is every time I go unless I choose not to take anyone. I take that over party boats without question. I have never wondered if I should or should not have my boat either. When I had the opportunity to buy the thing at a good price, I did it with no questions. I told the wife when I pulled up with it behind the truck.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
J thats a good break down on money and useage.So if you look at what Argo said, depending on the number of trips you take it pays for it self not to mention theres no annoying tourist on board. To ad to that you fish where you want and when you want and with you want on your boat. I been out with J on a few trips and have had a great time every time...............................................later<dave

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Oh yeah, I also have the wife, 3 kids, mortgage and 2 truck payments. Dave was with me when I went to get the boat and I am sure he will tell you that the wife had no say in my decision. She has not ever even stepped foot in the boat. I also dont like having my lines tangled with 20 others when I hook a 2 lb snapper. I can hook a 50lb AJ or 20lb snap and not have to worry about any of that junk for $100 less per trip. If I was to get a boat with a note on it I would just make sure to get something that is well within my budget. Maybe pay off the truck/car you have and put the payment towards your boat. Dont eat out 2-3 times per week, stop drinking(alcohol)/smoking(tobacco) or whatever you might do to spend your extra cash on a daily basis. If you have the desire to be offshorein your own boat there is almost always a way to do so. Fishing is my only vice, I dont drink, smoke or pretty much do anything other than build stuff at home(AKA honeydoos) and fish. I work during the week of course, I am talking about spare time.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Lumberjack93, If you like to fish Rockport I have a friend that has two rental boats in a drystack marina located in Rockport. One is a 19" Nitro W/ 125merc. The other is a 22" Kenner W/ 200merc. All you have to do is reserve the boat and it is in the water when you get there. When you get back just dock and take your fish. Clean-up is taken care of. Just thought it might be a solution to your problem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have two hobbies, one is a boat the other is fishing ;-)

The dry stack is working great for me, also at Macport in Rockport. They clean, fuel and store the boat. About once a month, they set it out on a rack and I can go through the routine checks and upkeep.

Fishing days are just like a charter, pick up the boat in the morning and throw them the keys when we return.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
What does that cost you? Any high surcharge on the fuel they put in it for you? I kinda like having my boat at home to do little things to it I need done. Also, anyone here every painted a hull. I was thinking of doing a "custom" job on mine but have never painted a hull before. Not sure what kind of paint to use for a solid finish on fiberglass or what kind of prep work to do on it to make sure the paint does not peal off the first time I trailer it or run through some seaweed or even run out 30 miles at 35+ mph. Any suggestions, other than having a pro do it........

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
I think it is pretty expensive. Around 200+ a month. It is a good investment for someone who fishes a couple times a week. Gas last week was 1.99

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
$1.6 around here and corpus. And it is not that expensive without a note to pay. Insurance for me is about $20/month and other than that there is not much else than oil and spark plugs and bleach to clean with.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The drystack charges by the foot. My 25' cost around $220 per month. I've added the "saltaway", free ice, etc. package to that. Fuel is typically $0.20 higher per gallon than on land. At Macport there is a public boat ramp about 100 yards from the storage, so it is easy to put the boat back on a trailer for maintenance.

The main advantage for me is the ability to schedule fishing trips while I am out of town. I can fly in on Friday night meet the crew at the boat in the morning and be fishing. Also, the boat is stored indoors and safe from theft which I cannot do at my house or self storage.

I thought it was expensive for the first couple of months. Now I am spoiled rotten and wouldn't have it any other way ;-)

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,385 Posts
I'm thinking

That you need to go ahead and bite the bullet, that way, all of us landbound 'Jacks know someone to call...:rotfl:

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Yeah...

The way I see it, at least with the people who I associate with... You either have a harley, old restored camaro or something like that to take care of for a hobby and expenses. You are an avid golfer and spend lots of money on clubs and green fees and spend your weekends doing that. Or, you are just flat out ***** - whipped and can't do anything on weekends. Of all the friends I have and associate with, well I have one of each. I am in the process of buying a new boat and they all think that I am the crazy one!

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I think they are crazy for spening $400 on a driver and they think I am crazy for spending $400 on a reel. $100 for a day on the course/$100 a day on the boat. It equals out.

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
Not so even

After roughly equivalent expenses, they go home with rubber eggs and we go home with the best seafood on the planet, most of the time anyway.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Instigator, are you in the McAllen area? that is the only area I can think of 90 min from SPI.....

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sfa

Pope said:
I have never owned an offshore rig, but I used to run my grandfather's. The one thing I miss more than anything is being responsible for putting the boat on the fish. Reeling them in is fun, but finding them is just as satisfying. I can empathize with you in regards to having a mortgage and family. I can't afford to buy a offshore boat now, but I am working on it. I finish grad school in a year and a half and hope to buy one a couple of years later. By the way, what years were you at SFA. I was there for a short time and transfered to UNT. I did however meet my wife in Nacogdoches. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Pope
I graduated in 93. I started there in 88 and worked (did not take classes) during the summers.

Anyway, I will own a boat again at some point in my life but for now it's just not an option. And it's not the money, it's the distance and my time. Trailering a boat from Brenham, Tx to Galveston is just too much. Plus, I only have time to go out about 6 or 7 times a summer. So, right now it would not be financially astute for me to own a boat.

Talk to you later.

Lumberjack93

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sterlingcaster said:
Lumberjack93, If you like to fish Rockport I have a friend that has two rental boats in a drystack marina located in Rockport. One is a 19" Nitro W/ 125merc. The other is a 22" Kenner W/ 200merc. All you have to do is reserve the boat and it is in the water when you get there. When you get back just dock and take your fish. Clean-up is taken care of. Just thought it might be a solution to your problem.
What does a 22 foot kenner go for a day? Just curious.

I really like to fish bluewater. The bay does nothing for me. So, when I someday own a boat it will be one that I can get at least 60 miles offshore with some degree of safety. That is why trailering a boat from Brenham is such a big deal to me.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts