2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had 1,000 dollars to spend on a semi-auto shotgun for duck hunting what would you get (could also spend more but want to see what is available in this price range)? I looked at a Stoeger today and it felt nice, I just do not know anything about the reliability of that brand. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Fish go to a bank and get a loan for enough $$$ and buy a SBE II, there are alot of good guns out there good luck. tell joey hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Benelli Super Black Eagle. Best shotgun on the market. Bird hunters in Argentina shoot them as much as 2000 rounds per day without any problems.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I have been shooting the Beretta 390 for 5 seasons now..... I like the gun, but it has its limits.

The bottom plate where you load the magazine is designed strange and the Deep V cut out catches you finger sometimes and rips the skin off.... its also tough to use with gloves.

It does not have a fitting for a sling. I bought the replacement Berreta adapter piece for 70 bucks, but it doesnt have the little teeth that the original piece has and it loosens up CONSTANTLY. I have to tighten it back down about every 10-15 rounds.

My 390 does not have a water/rust proof finish on it. Im constantly battling rust.

It only shoots 2.75 and 3" shells..... which limits you BIG time! Especially sucks if your groups are shooting 3.5s... they are able to make much further shots...

Those are the only downfalls I can find to it, but they are pretty substancial. Its a very smooth shooting gun... lightweight... dependable.... not much recoil.... im going to keep it around for dove hunting, shooting clays and timber hunts.

BUT, my next gun will be an SBE II... its the best all around gun you can buy.... shoots all sized shells, has rustproof finish.... little recoil.... dependable... and very easy to break down.... It is also REALLLLLY expensive at 1400 bucks, but Ive never seen one fail and Ive watched them get tossed around and beat up, thrown in the mud, etc.... The action also takes less pressure to open, so it doesnt cycle as slow as my Berretta in sub freezing temperatures....

3 words. Boom Boom Boom....

haha

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the thing is my mom and I are getting this gun for my dad for Christmas. I shoot the Beretta Extrema2 and love it. So I am partial to Beretta to start with. But my dad is almost 60 and wants a gun that is light weight reliable and easy to shoot. He will usually shoot 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells so there is no reason for a 3.5 inch gun. I am basically between the Beretta 390 and the Benelli M2(but still looking at others). Which gun out of these two would be a better gun for saltwater as well as the general abuse of duck hunting?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Well the thing is my mom and I are getting this gun for my dad for Christmas. I shoot the Beretta Extrema2 and love it. So I am partial to Beretta to start with. But my dad is almost 60 and wants a gun that is light weight reliable and easy to shoot. He will usually shoot 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells so there is no reason for a 3.5 inch gun. I am basically between the Beretta 390 and the Benelli M2(but still looking at others). Which gun out of these two would be a better gun for saltwater as well as the general abuse of duck hunting?
I said that once, but the first time I hit the goose field and they werent coming in close and everybody with 3.5s were folding them at 65 yards and I just had to sit there and watch.... thats when I knew I should have waited for the SBE II funds...

I got a GREAT deal on my 390 and Ive killed a ****tton of ducks with it, so I cant complain, but there are just a few things I wish were different.

I am having my 390 dipped at a place in Tomball after the season, so hopefully this will help out on the rust issue.

I also want to reinterate how easy the SBEs are to break down.... I wouldnt even attempt to break down my 390 in the field....

BUT, 1400 bucks is tough to swallow, ive been putting it off for a while.

If you go with the Beretta, check out some WalMarts.... I got mine for 359 bucks at Walmart.... I couldnt pass up the deal. Also walked out of another Walmart 2 weeks later with a Rem 1100 for 179. It only shoots 2.75s though.... couldnt pass that up either though. Bad thing is I have only fired about 10 rounds through it cuz it weighs a TON!!!!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
@60 yrs old, I would stay with a gas operated gun. Beretta/Browning are the best choices IMO. Odds are that he will not cycle that many shells through any gun he has so why not buy him something that will not rattle his fillings. Range on guns "DOES NOT CHANGE WITH LENGTH OF SHELL" only # of pellets in the pattern. Might also want to find a local gun club that you can shoot several of the guns on your list.

SBE I Owner

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Well back a few years ago the 2 3/4 shells had a bit more velocity than the 3 inchers. Not sure about now. They would kill just as far but with a few less BB's. The key is to hit the birds. Not just blast and hope something happens. Someone mentioned they had been shooting a gun for 5 seasons with no problems. Well I shot a cheap gun (in yalls eyes) Remington 1100 for many many years and killed em just as dead as the Benellis, Brownings, Blackhawks, Beretta, or what have you. I hunted in every enviorment possible from bays, rice fields, and stock tanks. But its just this, whatever makes you happy.

Charlie
e

·
Old School 2cool
8,283 Posts
Well back a few years ago the 2 3/4 shells had a bit more velocity than the 3 inchers. Not sure about now. They would kill just as far but with a few less BB's. The key is to hit the birds. Not just blast and hope something happens. Someone mentioned they had been shooting a gun for 5 seasons with no problems. Well I shot a cheap gun (in yalls eyes) Remington 1100 for many many years and killed em just as dead as the Benellis, Brownings, Blackhawks, Beretta, or what have you. I hunted in every enviorment possible from bays, rice fields, and stock tanks. But its just this, whatever makes you happy.

Charlie
e
Great post Charlie. I'm still shooting a Beretta AL-2 that was given to me as a gift 27 years ago. It's never let me down and I've hunted everthing from birds to rabbits to large game with it. The gun was well seasoned when it was givento me too! Many a time I have sat in a blind and watched "the BIG BOYS" empty their 3 1/2 magnums only to miss / fail and let me stand up with my little ole 2 3/4 and "SCORE"! Ya gotta hit 'em first ;) ! H/U

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had shot a Benelli Super Nova - and shot primarily 3.5" BB at all times...I got tired of the pump this year after having shot it for 4 years....I wanted the SBE II, but I could not bring myself to pay for it while Beretta had the 391 Extrema II on sale.

I held them both, compared them both, shot them both...I liked the SBE II more, but could not bring myself to pay $400 more for a very similar gun. I ended up with the 391 - and have shot about 200 rounds through it so far in the field...I hunt marsh only - and its brackish alot of the time (especially with bull tides)

So far so good. no jams, no fails yet. I took it the range and shot clays with it after bout 40 rounds, and 2.75"s cycled beautifully, even if I cant hit anything with it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Check out the Franchi I-12. Made by benelli. A step up from stoeger. Inertia Driven semi-auto. Love mine. Paid $740 brand new at Gander Mtn in Max 4.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
Roger that Charlie,

It's funny how people think a "magnum shell" will kill farther out and has more range. Most of the time the so called "Magnums" just hold more shot, and actually have a lower velocity- i.e. SHORTER range/l. As I've always said a 1200 fps number 4 has the same range/killing power whether it comes our of a 2.5 inch 410 or a 3.5 inch 12 ga MAGNUM. It's generally just the number of BB's that are being thrown into the air that determines whether you kill your quarry or not, but the individual pellet has the same range/killing power.

Back to the original question: First and foremost find the guns which fit you, and then decide which one you buy. The three most important things in buying a shotgun are FIT, FIT , AND FIT. If the gun doesn't fit you, I don't care how much it costs, you're not going to hit with it. I would guess that probably 70% of the shotgunners out there are shooting a gun that does not fit them. For instance as good a gun as browning makes, I will never buy one, because their geometry is way too flat for me. I have never picked up a browning that fit me.

It's a very simple process. Just back away from some target (steel plate, piece of butcher paper, someething that will show your pattern) about 20-25 yards. Stand there with your gun at the ready, and mount and shoot in the same motion. Do that 203 times, and you'll see where your pattern is hitting. I'll guarantee this will be eye opening for most who try it. Then if it's off, and you already own the gun, you need to go to a stock fitter who can make the necessary adjustments to get you "right on." Would you go deer hunting with a gun that hit 6" to the left and 6" low???

Many years ago I made my brother get his gun fitted to him. He spent $100 with the guy, and after the above test, the guy said your gun fits you perfectly, there's nothing I can do for you, and my brother was p_ _ _ _ _ saying he had just waisted $100. I then said-- doesnt' knowing that your gun is perfectly fitted to you, and that if you miss it's not the gun's fault but yours, worth $100 for the rest of your life you'll be shooting that gun?

THE JAMMER

Charlie
e

·
Registered
631 Posts
Seriously, if you are willing to spend $1,000 you might as well spend $1,200 and get a Benelli M2.

I love Berreta Over/Unders...but Benelli has one heck of a semi auto imo.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts