2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this hull capable of near shore (up to 10 miles?) off shore on smooth days? Anyone do this regularly?

I've read a few posts about waves over the back while having a power pole down etc.

Thank you,
Todd

·
Registered
298 Posts
It'll absolutely run near offshore . All your cats are extremely stable platforms. I ran one and liked it a lot. I ultimately went w/ the 24' Tran Cat . For a few reasons . Most notably the storage, or lack there of w, The Shoslwater . You really need a raised deck to get any storage at all . Plus the rounded vow of the Tran Cat is massive . Do yourself a favor and look at all the Cats on the market .

·
Fat Hookers Fishing Team
1,518 Posts
I watched a couple catching the heck out of ling on a Shoalwater at the A19 rigs 36 miles out of Matagorda Saturday. Without a cloud in the sky and a clear forecast, I didn't think twice about it.

Now, if a squall should appear and waves pick up, I wonder if it would become a giant motorized surfboard cutting through 5 foot waves instead of riding over them:rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just looking close rigs with a close eye on the weather.

I guess the Dargel Kat is probably best offshore, but man I can't imagine getting one of those monsters "unstuck". I could be wrong but it looks like it would be a serious chore.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The four boats I looked at were the ShoalCat 23, Dargel 230hdx, Tran Cat 240svt, and JH Outlaw 230x

If I had been looking for a near shore boat it would have been the Dargel hands down. I ended up with the JH which was a surprise to me. I wasn't even going to look at them, but, my father in law kept pestering me so I went to Sport Marine just to get him off my back. Moral of the story is look at as many boats as you can and go in with an open mind. You may surprise yourself

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Your best bet for an offshore/bay capable cat is the Dargel 25 or Shallowsport X3. It can be done in a SW23 or any of the other cats, but if the swell picks up it may get ugly fast!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Look in the stuck boat thread...I had my 23 kat stuck and it took an airboat. If you get any of the bigger cats stuck you aren't getting them off a mud flat without another boat.

The Dargel will run skinnier than most think for how big of a boat it is. They handle offshore pretty good too. I feel comfortable going out on good days knowing that if the wind shifts or a storm kicks up the boat will get me back home safely.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Fish Africa and Aggieross. Kind of what I was thinking and confirmation on the stuck Kat and I do realize how shallow the Kat will run. I just don't think I'd run one in questionable shallow areas which then puts you back to a shallower running V hull for less $$. Agree it's likely the best shallow running cat that can handle offshore best.

Do all the cat style hulls stick harder if you get stuck?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have had my 23' shoalwater cat offshore/nearshore a few times. If it's not ice cream conditions, don't go. These boats take chop very well but any kind of swell will pound your kidneys out of your body. I don't have any experience with the Dargel Kat so I can't say anything about them. If I planned on doing a little more offshore/nearshore type of fishing, I would seriously look at some of the mod V-hull types of boats. I had an Explorer 23TV and it did very well for what you are talking about. Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
645 Posts
Had one and their biggest flaw is that they tend to stick the bow in swells at trolling speed. IMO I would not run one offshore for that very reason.
This is true. Talking from experience. The 23' shoal water cat is an awesome boat, I love mine but it is a purpose built boat and that purpose is not going offshore. Sure any boat can go offshore when the conditions are right but I would sure hate to get caught out there if a storm blew up on me and the swells got up.

·
Registered
645 Posts
As others have mentioned the SWC 23 is not designed for any kind of spacing between the waves (swell). With that said I love my 23 SWC & wouldn't trade it since I bought it in 2012 in Seabrook & fished it 100% in Galveston bay system. In 2014 & 2015 I fished offshore 95% of the time since I was living in Key Largo, FL. I would fish up to 25 miles offshore (of which only 17 were past the reef) but would watch the weather very closely, had an e-pirb, full cell service watching weather radar, & would not go out in more than 1' seas but there were times I'd go out in true 2' seas when I had the itch real bad. To keep the bow from sticking I pulled the cooler off the front & would use either a yeti 125 or frigid rigid 250 in the back. I would tuck the mtr back all the way in if needed & adjust the speed & tabs for a comfy ride out (most trips only running about 30-35 mph on the way out). With the mtr tucked, & all the weight in the back, I'd qtr into the seas if they were over 1.5'. The boat was great offshore since I'd do a bit of spear fishing & lobstering since it was very easy to get in & out of in addition to the fishing for mahi.

Shallow water cats are not really designed for offshore fishing and I wouldn't really venture out in the gulf to far. A guide I know originally bought a haynie 23 cat & then later purchased a haynie ho due to the ride & the tendency for the bow on his cat to stuff when going out to the jetties. His would stuff more than others since he pushed the batteries further forward on the the boat. The Dargel 25 does ride very well in offshore chop but does not run as shallow as the others mentioned. Good luck & feel free to pm if have any questions.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No need for a commercial on a dargel but for those that don't think it is shallow I will be sight casting in nine mile hole tomorrow which to ME is as shallow as I need...it isn't going to win any "contest" for a shallow boat but it is all relative to what you consider shallow. If you want any offshore use though I will take it over any of the other bay cats besides the X3...but that is a different price point completely. I have spent a good bit of time in the sc23 and Haynie23 and both those hulls are drier than the dargel but the dargel is a much smoother ride. My only complaint about my boat is "cat sneeze" over the bow when headed sraight into chop. Hopefully this helps any decision you are trying to make. I chose Dargel purely for comfort of ride in what I consider big chop and I promise the difference between it and the other more popular cats is noticeable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts