2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was at Cut rate looking for gear and lures for an upcoming head boat trip - I needed some jigs and a rod. With all the hub-bub about the high dollar Shimano Butterfly stuff, I went to look at the Trevala rods, expecting them to be 3x-4x out of my budget. The rods looked and felt like a heavy bay rod, but they seemed to have a good backbone (at least compared to what I am used to) Plus they were only $100-$150! Was I looking at the right rods? Is this a "Cheep - do not touch" version of the Shimano jigging rods? $100 is on the high end of what I wanted to spend on a rod (I had been planning on getting a "Tiger Stick" - uglystick - ~$60).

What is the story on these rods? The cut-rate guy was talking them up, but then it is his job to sell stuff, **** or not.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
746 Posts
Trevalas MSRP is about $149 depending on the rod. A Tiger stick would be a mistake over a Trevala for what you want to do. I'm a big fan of Ugly's but not in this case. Buy the rod and Williamson butterfly jigs and save your money on the jigs. Please don't buy the last one I'm headed over to buy one myself today. :)

George

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jerry,

I have fished both of those sticks with the same reel (torium) and line (Spectra 65lbs). The weight of the trevala is a difference maker when jigging all day long and I have thoroughly enjoyed fishing it this season. When comparing the backbone of these rods, I will give the Ugly Stck the nod over the Trevala. I have fought large fish on both and just seem to be able to break their spirit quicker with the Ugly Stick. Also, my Trevala does not have a gimbut. I do not know if this helps but thought I would share.

Ugly Stick - 30-50lbs Med-Heavy
Trevala - 80lbs

·
Banned
317 Posts
I used a couple of diffrent rods before I bought a trevala, In my opinion the trevala seems to work better than the other rods, I think its the backbone. So you probablly were not being steered wrong at Cut Rate. I bought the med./heavy, I jigging the 200gm., But if I was to buy it again I probablly buy the XHeavy. I have tied on to some big stuff out there. Remember to set your hook hard, maybe twice.

·
fish control my brain
7,750 Posts
The Trevella rods are a TRUE jigging rod.
-light weight
-almost unbreakable
-fight fish different than a traditional rod

If your planing on doing a lot of jigging, butterfly / knife jigging, its the way to go.

If you planing on tossing to just Black fin, using the trusty Diamond Jig....IMO...you would be fine with you original choice.
Another comparable rod to you ulgy stick, that is On sale at Academy, is the All Star Blue water 7' 20 - 30lb rod

I have 3 all rigged with a torium 30 and 60lb braided with mono top shot.
Its a price concinence set up for around $200
A great choice for some who only plans to do, 30/ 36hr over nighters, 1 -3 tmes a year.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Some good points made....I was referring to the Tiger Stick not being suitable........have several 20-50 Ugly's and they are one of the best rods for the money hands down. Honestly have to say as good or better than Cut Rates private label.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Hey JR, what reel will you be using? If you have not picked one, consider the Avet JX, they are not very popular here on the gulf coast, But it is a fine reel; lightweight, fast retrieve, and great custumer service if you ever need it. I spooled mine with 60# power pro and I make my own wind-on leaders with about 25' of flourocarbon, this thing is sweet!

·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reels I have are a Penn 9500 spinner (jigging with this one) and a Penn 350 for snapper bottom drops. The 350 was purchased for bull reds in the surf, I may replace it later with a better jigging reel, but not till later. I have a borrowed Tiger stick for the 9500, and was planning on getting another for the 350. After seeing the Trevalas, though, I am thinking of getting one for the 9500 and using the Tiger for the 350 (yea, I know I will look stupid with using a spinning rod with the 350, but I don't really care) Can't get 2 rods now, not at $100 a rod.

Jerry

·
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
los is 7 said:
Hey JR, what reel will you be using? If you have not picked one, consider the Avet JX, they are not very popular here on the gulf coast, But it is a fine reel; lightweight, fast retrieve, and great custumer service if you ever need it. I spooled mine with 60# power pro and I make my own wind-on leaders with about 25' of flourocarbon, this thing is sweet!
How much and where can I get one? A new reel is not in the budget untill Christmas or so... :(

Jerry

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
Hey Jerry, The Trevalla retails for $149 for their heaviest action and $99 for all of the others. The blank is made out of carbon so it is light and strong. Before you buy one it is important to know what kind of fishing you plan on using it for. I have one of the lighter ones that is 6'6" and retails for $99 ans is rated for 100gm-200gm for snapper and such. Now for grouper, AJ, and tuna you need to get one of the 300-500 gram rods from FTU or Chris at Islander's for about the same price as the 100-270 gram Trevalla.

I like my AVET JX with a 6:1 ratio. Send a pm to MIKEW and he will hook you up.

·
Banned
317 Posts
the Avet is available over the internet, Cabela's Bass pro, are a couple of sites. You can call them and talk to them if you have any question about the reel. The JX is available in single or two speed. I have the single speed 6:1. I think Islander Tackle in Galveston has it. I live by Cut Rate, if you want to see my set -up pm me or call 281-642-5242 Los.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Call Chris at Islanders Tackle in Galveston. Great customer service and loads of knowledge in picking out the right set-up.

LW

·
Registered
121 Posts
Trevala rods

the extra heavy action Trevala rod comes with a gimbal butt. I bought the lighter rod when they were first available. It did not have the gimbel so I had the rod repair shop put one on (price very reasonable). Very easy to do yourself if you prefer. Love both rods-can be used for multiple purposes-casting, jigging, bottom fishing. On recent trip to floaters, I only had to take 3 rods-trolling rig for wahoo, chunking rod with 50W and the trevala. Next trip I will use the Trevala for chunking to see if I only need 2 rigs (will take a spare on a trip this long and expensive).
After looking at reels at Islander Custom Tackle, I choose the Trinadad 40 with 65# spectra to use with the Trevala. When jigging I LOVE Shimanos "super stopper" anti-reverse-no annoying back and forth motion of reel spool with each jig of the rod and the drag system on the Trinidad 40 can go to 33 lbs.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Islander Tackle - Jigging Rods are the BEST

When the Trevala rods first came out, I purchased one and they are a very good jigging rod for both Butterfly Jigs and standard Bucktail Jigs, but recently Islander Tackle in Galveston introduced their Dragonfly Rods and after comparing them and purchasing one, I feel that the Dragonfly Rods are better and they come with a gimble.

Captain Tony

·
Registered
361 Posts
I purchased one of the Trevala 80 - 200# rods when they first came out and thought it was the cats' meow. It is great for 30# BFT, most kings, snapper, but while jigging on the Big E Memorial Day, I hooked a big YFT - got him up to see color and he took a dive and the Trevala turned into wet spegetti (sp). I had absolutely no control of the fish. He ran under the boat and cut off. I went to see Chris at Islanders and picked up one of his Dragonfly rods. Guess I'll keep the Trevala for snapper fishing.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
693 Posts
ditto on the jiggin rods from Islanders... Just got mine- Put an AVET LX 6:1 on it, for the line capacity. Not much bigger than a Torium 30- with the AVET buckled down on the 400 gram jiggin stick- the rod balances out right at the reel seat..... someone took some time making these rods! I have been putting a 25 pound tractor wieght tied to the 80# JB hollow and practicing my "dead" liftt..lol.. This jiggin rod-400gram Sea Majic ( is not much heavier-in wieght- than a freshwater bass rod) is the shiznit!! SO GLAD i didnt get the Trevala.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts