2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you folks say the new Curado and Chronarch areb't as good as the old ones ... but what are the specifics about the differences other than the obvious cosmetics???

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,679 Posts
I have to say that the new curado 100 is really smooth. It seems about 20 percent smoother than my old style green curado 100 that is virtually new. I like the look a bit more, but personally, I would take 3 green 100s off ebay for the price of 1 new Curado 100D. They are still pretty close in form and function. I am waiting for the next trip to try out my new Chronarch MG.

:)

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
My understanding (what I was told by FTU) was that the MG and Curado are identical on the inside. Frames are what is different. It is a noticeable weight differential, but the guts are identical (what I was told).

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,679 Posts
That would make sense to me. It casts like it. I will pull mine out tonight and compare the two of them and see if they visually look the same.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
jtizzle,

I understand that the "new" curado is a total revamp from the old one . Fact is I just don't like it and take every internet opportunity to bust the Shimano peoples chops a little. (I sent them a personal letter and never got as much as a form letter in response)

I bought a bunch of the old curados and liked em and still use them. The new one is heavier and more expensive . I need a ton more convincing before I buy one.

If it aint broke, don't fix it. And please Shimano groupies save me that story about the dies being too old and worn out , I aint buying.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That's fine if you don't like their new reel. Just know that the new Curado was never meant to replace the old Curado. It's apples and oranges. If anything, the 100D was meant to replace the old Chronarch Super Free.

If you are really satisfied with cheaper reel materials and components of old Curados fame, I recommend the new Citica. Almost exactly like the old Curado Super Free, which was a very respectable reel.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,679 Posts
I am not saying I don't watch the old ones on ebay to pick them up for a deal when one comes along! :)

Anyone want to part with a Curado 100B?

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Jtizzle,

If they didnt intend to replace the old one with the new one, why'd they call it a curado ? Apples and oranges at least have differing names.

As to my satisfaction with cheaper materials and components , come on over to my garage and see if you really think I'm afraid to unarse a small fortune for gear. lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
Stumpgrinder said:
Jtizzle,

If they didnt intend to replace the old one with the new one, why'd they call it a curado ? Apples and oranges at least have differing names.

As to my satisfaction with cheaper materials and components , come on over to my garage and see if you really think I'm afraid to unarse a small fortune for gear. lol
Don't know what the thinking is behind it, all I know is what is. And that is that there is now a new reel offered by Shimano at the $119 price point that, if you think about it logically, and compare features, would be the reel that was meant to replace the Curado in the Shimano line. It's the Citica or whatever. Have you tried that reel? There is also the new Castaic reel. Supposed to be just like the old Curado SF at the $169 price point. Maybe that reel would be more to your liking. I have heard good things about these reels from friends and people here.

The new curado is a completely different reel from the old one and costs $80 more. That's why I say apples and oranges. I think you are getting hung up on names. The way to compare the reels is by price and features, not names.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,679 Posts
Stumpgrinder said:
...unarse a small fortune for gear. lol
LOL...that's a funny way to say that one! Wait till GB reads it an snarfs....LOL

I like the term. I took this stance when they first did this too. Then I picked up a new curado100D and I love it. It is incredibly smooth. I guess that was their plan all along. Get me to switch and thus get hooked on the higher dollar reels!

·
One day at a time!!
803 Posts
It may have the same name, but it is a totally different reel. The 100D is far better IMO. I think everything about the 100D is better the spool, size, smoothness, the fact that the sideplate stays attached when open, and that it just flat out looks good are just a couple of things that set it apart from the older model. Besides they basically just changed the name of the older model to the Citica. I think more people are mad about the price change rather than the design change. I think what they don't realize is that you are getting more for your money. I will be swicthing all of my old style chonarchs to the new Curados in the coming months.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
troy merrill said:
My understanding (what I was told by FTU) was that the MG and Curado are identical on the inside. Frames are what is different. It is a noticeable weight differential, but the guts are identical (what I was told).
Actually, you are right.

To further clarify, the specs on the Chronarch 50mg and Curado 100D are EXACTLY the same in the following categories...
Line retrieve...25" per turn
Line capacity...10/105, 12/85, 14/70
Max drag...10lb
Ball bearings...4
Roller bearing...1
Gear ratio...6.2:1

Take a look at the catalog and pics below.
http://fish.shimano.com/publish/con...Reels06.pdf.pdf

The weight is 7.4oz vs. 5.9oz; Curado to Chronarch
The size of the body is the SAME
The length of the handle is the SAME

The jump in price does stink...no doubt. But I've been really happy with Shimano's new line. The 100D and 50mg were not affected by some of the issues the other Curados had.
Attached Images

·
Manvel Mob
829 Posts
they only make a 100 model in the curado and chronarch not the citica or any cheaper reel. Thats why i dont believe theres any reel meant to take the place of the curado if so why not make a citica 100.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wish shimano would have changed the name of the new curado b/c eveyone thinks they just raised the price of the old green curados and made the new look different. The new curado is a completely different reel from the old ones I really don't wanna write all the detail but just for a small example, the gearing, drag system, spool, and I'm pretty sure I am leaving out a few others but they are all different. The new citica is what took the place of the old green curados, it is very comparable to the super free models. At $119.99 you basically get a old curado SF but don't have to spend an extra 30 bucks for it. I have played around with both the new curados and citicas and like them both. I will eventually end up with one of the new curado 100D but I will get the 50mg before I do that. The new line of shimano reels are great and I think they just wanted to offer a reel that was not way over $200.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
I'm not going to get into an argument over names, but I have several green Curados, a Chronarch Mg, and a Citiga. The Citiga is my new favorite reel. It casts farther and is smoother than the Curados.

I haven't tried one of the new Curados, but plan to get one soon. If it is even smoother than the Citiga, I will be very happy with it.

I don't really care what it looks like as long as it performs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
JANKEII said:
I heard... The reason behind shimano changing their reels. The mold of the old frame was getting worn out. Shimano decided to make a new mold and beef up the reels.
And you don't think shimano is smart enough to come up with a new mold? They did it for one reason and one reason only, and that is to make money.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts