2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a shimano curado B100 that I cleaned up yesterday, and caused a problem. I have cleaned my curados many times breaking them down to the point of removing the bearings to soak, but yesterday was the first time I have messed w/ the drag. The grease looked really grungy, so I wiped it down really well (the soft washer between the brass geared plate and the stainless washer that lays on top of it) and put just a TEENSY bit of shimano star drag grease on the soft washer and reassembled it all. This is the grease I was told worked best on these reels.

Well, guys, it made that rig slip like a pig on ice. Couldn't crank the drag down enough to stop a goldfish from spooling me. Took it apart, cleaned, reassembled. Better. Now it would take a croaker to spool me. Repeated this process. Now it is usable, but still would not hold a big red. Yes, the little cupped washers under the nut are in right. The drag is cranked down to the point that the points on the drag are brushing against the cap on the brake.

2 questions: WHAT HAVE I DONE????? and HOW DO I FIX IT??????

I suspect this gease is a little slick for this application.....??..... wrong stuff...????

Help?

Steve

·
11,766 Posts
Maybe replace the Drag washer and see if it gets any better.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dog, one thing on the drag washer, clean with hot water and Simple Green and let dry. Coat both sides liberally with Shimano drag grease and put back between the "geared brass thing and stainless washer" and squeeze together forcing out the excess grease. Wipe excess off. As for not being able to tighten down the drag make sure the bottom washer is installed and the drag spring washers (bent washers) are installed correctly. Take your parts diagram and be sure all parts on the drive shaft are installed correctlly. If you are using braided line , it will sometimes slip if not tied to the spool. Just some ideas.

·
Registered
235 Posts
drag problem

You might want to make sure the (2) cupped spring tension washers mentioned above are installed opposing one another in other words install the 1st cupped washer w/ cup up and 2nd cup down. That would be the simpliest thing that comes to mind and won't take but a couple of minutes to try as you'll only have to remove the handle and drag knob etc to get to it.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Right stuff. have you got it altogether in the right order? have always applied a good coat to both sides of the fabric washer an a good coat to the other washer as well. Are you using braid? if you are is it slipping on spool. if you are not using braid , just go back an redo it double checking as you go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Curado

Try cleaning the grease from the drag washer, then using some sort of straight edge to fluff the material back up on the washer. Sometimes when you tighten down hard on the drag system you can actually flatten the washer to the point that it is slick and it will slip. Then, liberally apply the shimano grease all over the washer, that stuff is really the best.

Also, when storing your reel after a trip, back off on the star drag so as not to spueeze all of the grease off of the washer. This will also cause the washer to flatten and get slick prematurely.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cupped washers are in right. I've got that T shirt. The drag washer IS really flat and slick. Also, has kind of a "cardboard-y" feel. I think that is probably it. The old gritty grease was probably providing the only friction I had there.

Brewgod... GREAT link! thanks.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts